Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 08-04-2009, 10:27 AM
4dogs3cats's Avatar
4dogs3cats 4dogs3cats is offline
Aroooooo!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Glendale Arizona
Posts: 2,617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
I'm still learning ....I feel sorry for people who think they know everything .
I don't think I know everything. hardly.

I'm talking about the things I KNOW for a fact. Like I know for a FACT that when my mom feeds a food where the first few ingredients are:

Quote:
INGREDIENTS
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour,
And that chicken by-product meal is the ONLY meat in the entire food...

I know what I am talking about when I say that the REASON your dog is shedding so much, and the REASON her coat is dull, is because you switched her to that from a food that has this:

Quote:
Ingredients:
Lamb,lamb meal, whole grain brown rice,
I DO know for a FACT that it was a step DOWN.

I don't ramble about things I am not sure about.


ETA- and LEARNING, is much different from what I am talklng about. learning means you know you don't know everything and are willing to try new ideas.

When I tell my sister in law the reason her 3 year old chihuahua's teeth are BROWN is because of that kibbles and bits she is feeding him, and her response is "Sometimes I put some toothpaste in his mouth," it makes me cringle. So sorry if I seem like a know it all.
__________________
~Jennifer

"Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves." The art of racing in the rain.

Last edited by 4dogs3cats; 08-04-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-04-2009, 10:35 AM
skKi's Avatar
skKi skKi is offline
woop
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Outside
Posts: 1,518
Default

I'd love to be able to turn off my dog knowledge switch. I get way, way too passionate about anything dog related and typically get myself worked up and upset if I can't get my point across or someone won't listen.

I know someone with an obese beagle mix. Seriously obese. His stomach touches the floor when he sits (and can only sit with his legs tossed to the side, by the way). Everyone just thinks he's oh so cute for being so fat as I'm just sitting there ripping my hair out. When I try to explain, all I get is "Oh he's not that fat.." or something along those lines. His back is as flat as a coffee table. I will not be surprised when this dog dies of a heart attack or something.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-04-2009, 10:38 AM
4dogs3cats's Avatar
4dogs3cats 4dogs3cats is offline
Aroooooo!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Glendale Arizona
Posts: 2,617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skKi View Post
I'd love to be able to turn off my dog knowledge switch. I get way, way too passionate about anything dog related and typically get myself worked up and upset if I can't get my point across or someone won't listen.

I know someone with an obese beagle mix. Seriously obese. His stomach touches the floor when he sits (and can only sit with his legs tossed to the side, by the way). Everyone just thinks he's oh so cute for being so fat as I'm just sitting there ripping my hair out. When I try to explain, all I get is "Oh he's not that fat.." or something along those lines. His back is as flat as a coffee table. I will not be surprised when this dog dies of a heart attack or something.
A lot of people don't know that beagles and bassets get hip dysplacia too. It's horrible when a beagle is overweight. A lot of times, if they are BYB, their legs are really skinny too, that's too much weight for that poor dog.
__________________
~Jennifer

"Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves." The art of racing in the rain.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Dekka's Avatar
Dekka Dekka is offline
Just try me..
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 19,234
Default

no.. because then my dogs would be getting a lesser standard of care than they do now.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-04-2009, 11:37 AM
Tankstar's Avatar
Tankstar Tankstar is offline
~Lisa~
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto Area
Posts: 2,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skKi View Post

I know someone with an obese beagle mix. Seriously obese. His stomach touches the floor when he sits (and can only sit with his legs tossed to the side, by the way). Everyone just thinks he's oh so cute for being so fat as I'm just sitting there ripping my hair out. When I try to explain, all I get is "Oh he's not that fat.." or something along those lines. His back is as flat as a coffee table. I will not be surprised when this dog dies of a heart attack or something.

Thats when I get really annoyed too. my friends chi (rocket)who is plain obeese, the one we took to the dog park yesterday. Every one kept commenting on Corona on how he was too thin. he is another chi, in amazing shape, his owner does alot of hiking with the little guy daily, he is out for like 1.5 hours a day hiking and playing. He is all mucsle and looks awsome, but yet every one kept commenting on how rocket my friends chi was in great shape. I couldnt take it nay more and said "corona is in amazing shape. rocket is a fatty".. I love rocket, but he is fat fat fat lol.

and the lady who was proud her pug beagle mis was almost 30lbs, but about the size of a small pug, it was SOOO fat. and she kept saying but she is so cute fat. i wanted to vomit.

I was giving her dog some little baby carrots as treats and trying to be nice and be like "if you just give her healthy treats like this, she will loose a bit of weight", her owner "but she loves mcdonalds, and wendys and burger king and all the good foods, not carrots.

yet the dog was eating all the baby carrots blaze was dropping behind him.

I never get why people like to have fat pets. to me its abuse.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-04-2009, 12:18 PM
skittledoo's Avatar
skittledoo skittledoo is offline
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 13,478
Default

haha this is a fun topic for me. my answer... yes and no. I like that I know what I know so that I can provide a better life for Bamm...

But... at times I wish I didn't know what I know because I'm super super passionate about dogs, ESP training and I annoy people around me when I open my mouth about dogs or how I disagree with something or how that food is horrible for them, etc etc. I cringe anytime someone talks about training their dog with negative reinforcement or when they try and I get really heated up when someone tries to use negative training methods on my dog or suggest that I do so.

As soon as I open my mouth I get the rolled eyes from people or the, "here she goes again..." but THEN when someone has a problem with their dogs they come to me... wtf? I had an ex roomie just buy a puppy off kijiji.com and argue with me that her breeder is a great breeder (I wanted to vomit over that one). When I tried to explain to her that no responsible breeder would sell their puppy on kijiji she argued me and basically told me she knows what she's doing... yet then turned around and emailed me a few days later asking me for advice on types of food.

I don't completely write off other people when they don't treat their dogs to my standards... but unfortunately I do tend to put up a bit of a wall... not on purpose... but it happens.
__________________
Joey- Ibizan Hound
Cricket- Mexican Street dog (we think Xolo mix)
Bamm- BC mix
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Dizzy's Avatar
Dizzy Dizzy is offline
Sit! Good dog.
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 17,467
Default

No.

Because I add a healthy dollop of common sense into my thinking and I appreciate not everyone knows everything about dogs, just as I do not. Plus there are TONS of topics I'm totally ignorant on, and I'd hope someone didn't look down on me because I haven't learnt about it just yet.

So no. Because worrying doesn't do anyone any good ever.
__________________
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."


Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein


Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-04-2009, 03:45 PM
4dogs3cats's Avatar
4dogs3cats 4dogs3cats is offline
Aroooooo!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Glendale Arizona
Posts: 2,617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
I don't completely write off other people when they don't treat their dogs to my standards... but unfortunately I do tend to put up a bit of a wall... not on purpose... but it happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
No.

Because I add a healthy dollop of common sense into my thinking and I appreciate not everyone knows everything about dogs, just as I do not. Plus there are TONS of topics I'm totally ignorant on, and I'd hope someone didn't look down on me because I haven't learnt about it just yet.

So no. Because worrying doesn't do anyone any good ever.
Okay I worded it wrong, I don't necessarily write them off. If someone doesn't know something, I do my best to educate.

I'm talking about how my family calls me the dog lady, and the dog whisperer, and they KNOW how much I research and read all things dog. They KNOW that I am passionate about things I KNOW about, and then they do the opposite.

My parents did so good in the beginning. They researched breeders, I found them a good one. They were going to get on a waiting list. I show up at their house one day to a husky lab mix, SIX weeks old, that they paid $200 bucks off kijiji. And I pulled 12 tics off her THAT NIGHT. Fast forward. They get her on wellness food. Awesome. My mom loses her job- ahh that sucks, so they switch to kirkland. Still good!

They start giving her those wet beneful meals. "Oh but they have carrots and peas!" Okay dogs dont NEED carrots and peas. It also has tons of corn.

"Hey mom, dad, Mocha is getting pretty hyper, shes about 10 months old now, you really show crate her when youre not here. This is the same age Chance ate my couch."

"yeah yeah okay."

Dog eats the $3,000.00 couch. Cool. Great. They pay $100.00 to get it fixed, no big deal.

They switch to beneful dry food now.



I just sometimes want to give up trying to help OTHER people with their dogs when I feel like I am talking to a wall.

I know that MY dogs are getting the best I can provide for THEM and I wouldn't change a thing about that.
__________________
~Jennifer

"Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves." The art of racing in the rain.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-04-2009, 04:04 PM
PixieSticksandTricks's Avatar
PixieSticksandTricks PixieSticksandTricks is offline
Athletic Labs. They Exist
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,799
Default

I don't have a hard time accepting people who don't know as much as I do about dogs. Or any of the animals I have as pets. I understand not everybody is as into research as I am and don't read up like they should.

But that doesent make me write them off. I try my best to educate them and then move on without constantly trying to lecture them. They can look at my dogs and see the difference. If they ask for advice I give it. But if the dog is happy and not being neglected I have no problem with it. If someone doesent feed Raw or innova I don't freak out. I just mention what I feed my dogs and how much they love it.

I don't feel like I have the right to tell people what is the right or wrong way to raise a dog. Like I said if they are getting their basic needs met then there isn't much that I need to say. Its their life and vet bills.

I know for a fact that I don't know it all. And I don't pretend to. Every dog is different.
__________________
Sporting Dogs Make Me Smile
Mom to-
Maggie May (5 year old, American Cocker Spaniel)
Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Dreeza's Avatar
Dreeza Dreeza is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 6,347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dogs3cats View Post
I just sometimes want to give up trying to help OTHER people with their dogs when I feel like I am talking to a wall.

I know that MY dogs are getting the best I can provide for THEM and I wouldn't change a thing about that.
I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I wish I could just throw my knowledge aside (& i doubt my knowledge is much compared to some people on here!!) & not let it personally affect me when I see people not providing the very best for their dogs.

My insistence on educating my best friend (& i can assure you, i really do it in the most humble way possible...I try to provide her w/links & bits of info that people on here have provided rather than me just preach it w/no evidence to back it up) is currently driving a wedge in our friendship. She no longer tells me certain things b/c she knows I'll have something to say...and i've pretty much tried not to tell her things unless they are really super important....but it eats me up inside NOT to say anything (so i get to live w/that).

After all that I thought I taught her...providing her w/endless advice (esp thanks to Doberluv!!!)...she ended up w/Barkbusters.

Enough said. I'm gonna have chronic high blood pressure until we stop living together.
__________________

Thanks Jessie!

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site