Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Aroooooo!

Default Do you ever wish you didnt know as much as you did?

I love my knowledge about dogs, and dog food, and dog health, and dog care. I really do.

But sometimes I wish I didn't know what I know.

Like for instance, when I go to the dog park, and I meet an adorable dog, and people say things like, "Yeah she was only $300.00 bucks on craigslist," I immediately write those people off. And I shouldnt. IIII was one of those people. Twice.

But the other day I ran out of dog food. And costco was closed. I asked my mom if she was still feeding kirkland. She said no. I asked her what she switched to...

BENEFUL.

I read her the ingredients and showed her there is NO meat in that food. I just dont get it. She switched because my aunt feeds her golden beneful and "they love it."

DUH

We love ice cream and potato chips.

UGH. I sometimes wish I was a naive dog owner who thought all BYB's were fine and all dog foods were the same and over vaccinated every year.

Life would be so much easier.

"Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves." The art of racing in the rain.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Remembering Casey ♥

sometimes, I do too..

But most times, Im thankful I DO know these things...
Old 08-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Yep, all the time.

I have a hard time accepting people into my life who don't care about dogs the same way as I do.

Like, we had friends in the past who fed their dog Beneful, and wouldn't listen at ALL about switching foods. I looked down on them everytime after that, because they would spend a TON of money on other things, but didn't care about what they fed their dog

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 08-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Aroooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post
sometimes, I do too..

But most times, Im thankful I DO know these things...
I agree. Im glad I know this all for MY dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
Yep, all the time.

I have a hard time accepting people into my life who don't care about dogs the same way as I do.

Like, we had friends in the past who fed their dog Beneful, and wouldn't listen at ALL about switching foods. I looked down on them everytime after that, because they would spend a TON of money on other things, but didn't care about what they fed their dog
It just hurts. I have done research. They call me the dog whisperer (which I hate lol,) They KNOW how much I know about dogs, yet they listen to my aunt who this isher first dog and her first food was royal canin because they have "cute shaped pieces and a golden retriever on the bag."

It makes me feel like they don't value my opinion.

"Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves." The art of racing in the rain.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Top Dog

Yeah.. Life was much cheaper having 7 pets when we were more ignorant. My animals are all well taken care of now, but I can't go out and shop for myself the way I used to. It's okay though I don't regret the money we spend on them, but as our current pets pass we will definitely not be getting more. 7 is just too many to take care of properly for us.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Aroooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labyrinth View Post
Yeah.. Life was much cheaper having 7 pets when we were more ignorant. My animals are all well taken care of now, but I can't go out and shop for myself the way I used to. It's okay though I don't regret the money we spend on them, but as our current pets pass we will definitely not be getting more. 7 is just too many to take care of properly for us.
I just hate looking down on people because they aren't providing the same life I am for my dogs.

truth be told- my sister in laws dogs are JUST as happy on kibbles and bits as mine are.

So why do I feel like I am on such a high horse when I tell her she's feeding her dog CRAP?

Old 08-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Fluffy Corgi Addict

Every day. I'd probably be less stressed lol.

Eevee
13-year-old F Border Collie Mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo)
8-year-old M Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Cheetah's Training Blog
Old 08-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Top Dog

Yes!

I have a friend who just got a bulldog puppy. I haven't quizzed her about it. Maybe she did everything right in finding the breeder. Maybe she knows allllll of the health complications that arise in the breed. But I don't ask because I don't want to know, honestly.

Oooh, also, my bro has a dog who I absolutely adore. She's 10 and she gets a crappy food (she's actually really healthy and seems much younger, but is of course a senior now). I want to steal her and take her to a holistic vet and put her on raw and senior supplements and try to get another 10 years out of her. She doesn't like Bailey much, though, and she adores my niece -- she's better where she is, so I haven't stolen her...yet.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:21 PM
~Lisa~

Yup.

Just today at the dog park. i brought my best friend and her Chi. with Blaze and I.

There was so much chi talk from other people. one person kept saying, oh yeah the breeder I got my dog from does this as a hobby, has both parents, doesnt give paper work becuase its a waste of time. They dont make much like a high end breeder. i wanted to vomit. Lucky it wasnt my best friend who said it, becuase she knows me, and knows I would have swayed her different. It actually stresses me out when there, its pathetic, hearing people talk about how beneful/pedigree/science diet is great becuase their vet said so, or how doodles are a great breed. nothing against doodles, But they ARE NOT a breed!!!

gahhh, here I go working myself up lol
Old 08-03-2009, 04:33 PM
facetious.

Yeah, it's difficult... I try not to write folks off because they raise/nurture/value their dogs differently than I value my own. I imagine it's quite a bit similar to people and children- unless you see something seriously concerning, I feel as though often times it's best not to ask. However, I do enjoy a good conversation with people about methods and whatnot when the opportunity arises.. It's nice to inform people who are actually interested.

Just as well, I think it's important to remember that there are likely things, with dogs, and in life in general, that we either don't understand right now or are potentially going unnoticed, however involuntarily.. you can try your best(and should), but you will never know it all.