Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 07-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Kim

Default Red eye with discharge

Reno has a whitish discharge in his eyes here or there (like eye buggers.. I that term but can't think of how else to say it). Today his left eye is pretty red though and has more of a greenish discharge. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be or what I could do until I can see a vet? Has anyone had a dog with this issue before?

Zipo - Miniture Poodle - 10 years old
Kiko - Chihuahua - 4 years old
Reno - Mix - a year in November
Old 07-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Top Dog

Just wipe it out with a tissue for now... the stuff that is external. But do get him to a vet asap. It sounds like conjunctivitis. (an eye infection which will not go away by itself. He'll need an antibiotic eye ointment that the vet will prescribe, I expect)
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-30-2009, 07:09 PM
Kim

I did some research on here and one lady said she went to the vet and he told her it was an allergy and gave her nothing. The discharge isn't coming out that often and when it does it is just like a dot in the corner. I wish the vet was opened now so I could call them!

Old 07-30-2009, 07:22 PM
Top Dog

It might be an allergy, although the green you describe makes me think infection. Allergies usually produce clear or maybe a little whitish. At any rate, yeah....it wouldn't be something to leave to chance. Hopefully, the vet will get you in tomorrow.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-30-2009, 07:28 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Could be pink eye Let us know how the vet visit goes! I hope its nothing serious

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 07-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Active Pup

My dogs had pink eye this year....and I know a couple of others that had it as well.....from what I understand pink eye will clear up on its own, drops just speed up the process and lesson irritation.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:49 PM
Kim

Wouldn't you know it.... I called the vet after posting the post above at 8:05... they closed at 8!!! UGH

I did have a few people tell me it will most likely clear up on it's own but I would at least like to talk to the vet office to make sure.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Top Dog

Pink eye IS conjuntivitis. (Inflamation of the conjuntiva of the eye...by various causes) My bad. It will go away by itself eventually. But I am so paranoid about eyes. What if it's not a virus or bacteria, but a foreign body in the eye? If it were me and it didn't improve a whole lot and fast, I'd be going to the vet. (And I'm not one to rush to the vet for every little thing either.) LOL. Hope everything will be okay soon.

My little Chi had something like that when she was a pup and I remember having to spread an ophthalmic ointment across the inner lid of her eye. It cleared up quickly. But what a pain to put in her eye.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-30-2009, 07:58 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Mary has very red eyes when her allergies are kicking up. The humane society vet said it was the mole on her eyelid returned and now she really was too old to operate on so he said i would have to put her down. I had gone through 3 bottles of the regular eyedrops...the antibiotic ones. Zoom got me a probono appointment with the vet I have now. He took one look at her and said oh no..it's allergies. The steroid drops are the only ones that make a difference and they clear it up immediantly. Sometimes with just one treatment. SHe has matter too when they were bad.

I always check the lower lid to see if there are grass seeds in it..especially this time of year. Daddy Bin once had a very short piece of grass down in his when the neighbor was weed eating and he got to close.

Mary's mole on her eyelid caused her great misery. THere was one where you could see it..but there were two down inside where you couldn't. It scratched the surface of her eye. THen after they removed it..the scar tissue did the same thing but it eventually softened up. For awhile we were afraid the eye would have to be removed. I am glad it didn't...she has such pretty eyes.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 07-30-2009, 08:28 PM
overdogged

i would see a vet asap. a single eye red makes me think scratched cornea and those can get ugly quickly if not treated.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?