Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Serious chihuahua help

please everyone please help me i posted a thread titled newly adopted chi please help and im not getting any replies really and i need help im getting very very sad.
i dont know what to do with my 1 year old pup and i really need advice can you please help me.

if you can please read my thread and help me figure out what to do i would really like that!

thanks in advanced

this is what i said.................

hi i just adopted a year old chihuahua and she wont let me touch her i dont know what to do.

when i do she jumps in the air like a rabbit scratches me tries to bite me and screams like im killing her!

im really sad with this its been 2 weeks and i dont know what to do her previous owner died and thats why she was adopted out.

she also wont walk on a leash i dont know what to do.
she won't come when called it's like she doesn't even know her name either.

its really wierd :s

anyone have any ideas?............................

i just wanted to ad she seems alot better when other people go to her like my kids and my other friend its just me she seems really skittish with!!

someone please help me im really desperate.................................

i have tried to give her treats and food she wont come near me for ANYTHING!!!! i have to chase her down and grab her and then once i get her she is fine and she will cuddle with me but the second she can leave me she is gone.
it doesnt matter what i do it's like she hates me and it makes me sad to see that!
my other dog loves me to bits and she is the opposite they are like black and white!
i am getting depressed to see how sad she is and i dont know how much more i can take to see her like this.
i feel so bad for her i dont want her to live like this it isnt fair for her!
i just want to take her pain away so she can be happy again but i dont understand how to do that?!?
i have tried what you said with the food and treats it doesnt really work cause thats what i have been doing for 2 weeks already.

i am desperate

please please help me and her i cant stand to see her like this!!!!
Old 07-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Top Dog

When you say you adopted her, who did you get her from? A rescue group or someone that was a member of the deceased owner's family? Do you know how long ago it was that her owner died?
Old 07-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Top Dog

She is most likely still in grief about her deceased owner. Maybe try laying down on the floor with her and take a toy or something(ball, kong, or even a teddy bear) and play with it, try to look like you're having fun. Look at her from time to time and look away. Maybe it will trigger her interest and if she keeps looking at you, maybe toss it over to her, and if she takes it, pat her. If she seems alright with that, try tossing away the toy see how she reacts, will she go get it? Is she still cuddling with you? Maybe she is just jealous of your other dog, do they get along? Maybe try contacting a friend of the deceased owner if you know any, perhaps they know things that your dog used to love.

Keep updating please if that doesn't work.

Jenna, my dog. Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. Five and a half years old.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Top Dog

You've posted many places .... we do what we can .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-30-2009, 06:24 PM
Taxiderpy

How old are your kids? Watch what they and your friends do when they approach her. Remember that she is tiny, if you are coming at her looming overhead and reaching down over her head that could feel threatening to her.

What Kristy says about laying down may work. Try laying down on the floor in the same room with her and taking a nap. Have some treats ready, or toys in case she wants to interact. If you're down on her level, not being interested in her she may, over time, feel more confident about initiating contact with you.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Puppy Dog

she gets along with my other chi.
my kids are ages 17 to 18 months and they all go to her the same as me.
i got her from the woman who passed daughter and she died a few months ago and the woman doesnt seem to want to much contact with me.
i have tried to contact her a few times.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Puppy Dog

yes i had posted a few time because i am very desperate to get help for her and in 24 hours i got 1 reply and it is breaking my heart to see her like this!!!
Old 07-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Top Dog

It sounds like the dog wasn't very well socialized and she may not be used to a busy household. Her whole world turned upside down when she lost her owner and changed homes. She needs time to adjust. I agree with ignoring her and let her be the one to decide to come up to you. Take a few deep breaths and be as calm as possible when you are interacting with her. Be patient and see how things go.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Kim

First thing is to stop chasing her to get her. Every time you do this you are taking a step back. If you need her for something have one of your kids that she goes to get her. Then try (when no one is home and the house is quiet) just sitting on the floor and read a book or something. Try to be in a small place but not too small and be sure there is a place she feels safe but doesn't hide to where she can't see you. This could take a long time and it also won't work after one, two maybe even 5 times. You could put a treat near you but don't hand it to her. If you have like say a hotdog (something she will really like and rarely gets) cut it in pieces and put one out a little ways from you

Once she eats that, and most likely retreats back to where she was, put another a little closer, do this a few times till one is close to you but when she comes to get it do not grab or touch her. I would spend a few days doing it this way without touching or grabbing her and do not chase her any of these days. This could take weeks even. Do not rush it, if you make a mistake you could have to start all over.

I have a Chihuahua and they are very stubborn about what they want to do and don't want to do. Mine is very social and loves everyone but I've had him since he was 12 weeks old and socialized him like crazy.

Zipo - Miniture Poodle - 10 years old
Kiko - Chihuahua - 4 years old
Reno - Mix - a year in November
Old 07-30-2009, 07:35 PM
Top Dog

I would do nothing overt to her whatsoever. Just live side by side and do your own thing. If she comes closer than she did before, drop a treat where she will get it. Don't look at her, don't speak to her if that makes her nervous. I'd do this for a very long time before attempting the next step. Long enough that she looks calmer when you are in the same room with her or nearer to her than you were before. If it takes months, then so be it. Let her see you put her food down for her and then walk away and leave her be.

Make a list of the things that bother her....the things you do, the things in her environment. Make milder versions of those things if you can. Make more distance between her and those triggers when and if you can. If moving quickly makes her nervous, move slower. If loud talking makes her flinch, speak quieter. Reinforce her for small improvements by tossing a treat. Or if your nearness bothers her but she is calmer than last time, move away further as a reward. (for now.) But not while she's throwing a fit. Wait calmly until she calms a little.

Don't react to her when she leaps up, barks, snarls or whatever it is she's doing. Look the other way. Everyone in the house must do the same. Don't try to do something to calm her or to fix it. Just ignore it and don't throw her a pitty party.

If she has limited access to the people with whom she has no problem, it may force her to look to you more for the things she needs.

Like I said before, it could be that only marginal improvement will be made IF A) she has a lousy temperament and B) if she had an improvershed socialization history from birth to 3 or 4 months. Hopefully, some improvement will be made. But I can almost guarantee it won't happen in just a few weeks.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson