Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Top Dog

Default Portuguese Podengo Medio mix?

I found a breed that looks alot like Jr. They're like mini Ibizan hounds. What do you think?

PB

Jr. (his tail is curly because he was wagging it)
Old 07-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Hmmm... I wouldn't be sure to be honest I imagine they're pretty rare and that alone would cast doubt on them being mixed with other breeds.

The colours and marking could come from anywhere. And the build could be anything!

Sorry to rain on the parade.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 07-30-2009, 12:37 PM
ACoops favorite

that is pretty uncanny, though...right down to the white tip on the tail and the build is somewhat similar, although the Podengo looks a bit longer in the back, but that could just be the pics.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

umm , how big is your dog , because she looks just like my issabelle , who is a beagle /chihuahua mix.
coloring , tail tip and all!

i wish i had some pictures i could show you , but i am at work and dont have any on this computer.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:53 PM
tessa_s212

The likelihood that your dog has any of this breed at all is practically 0%. But it is sure neat how similar they look!
Old 07-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Taxiderpy

The only medios and medio mixes I know of in the United States were brought over by Galgo Rescue International, and they were altered before entering the country. They are all also out on contracts that say they go back to the rescue if the adopters can't keep them, so I really, really doubt it's a medio mix.

Your dog is super cute though. His smile makes me think of a chihuahua mix.

ETA: looking again, his eye set and everything makes me think of a chihuahua. Chi mixes have been some of my favorite dogs.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:50 PM
Twin 2.0

It's uncanny how similar they look, but I think it's more likely your cute boy is a Chi mix.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Top Dog

There are some similarities but I agree that the chance of having Podengo in the dog is 0%.

From the Portugese Podengo Pequeno Club Of America's website:

"In the United States, about 80% of Podengos are of the small (Pequeno) breed. There are about 230 purebred Pequenos in the US, 80 Medios, and no Grandes."

(Note: This info is a little old. I know there are a couple of adults and a litter of Grandes in the states now.)
Old 08-04-2009, 05:35 AM
Ruddy Buttinski

I agree he looks like a Chi mix, especially the face. But that IS uncanny! My pup happens to be the spitting image of the smooth-faced Pyrenean Shepherd, but there's no possible way one of those would have ended up in a shelter!

Sienna:

Pyrenean Shepherd:

You can really have fun with the folks at the dog park, though.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:10 AM
Top Dog

It is amazing how similar they look.....

It's situations like this that remind me that all breeds started out as mixes... they'd mix one of these dogs with one of those dogs and eventually start to develop a standard when they had the traits they want. So it makes me chuckle sometimes when people think too hard about what breeds their dog is mixed with.... the likelihood of a dog being "1/2 this and 1/2 that" or whatever is usually actually slim. It's more likely the dog is just an interesting mix of mixes that eventually looks like a dog with a breed name.