Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Agility and Dog Sports

Old 07-28-2009, 09:58 PM
Top Dog

Default Unsure if I should continue with agility trainer

Ok so I've had Two private sessions with a trainer for Emmas agility foundations.

To say I was excited/ nervous was an understatement. I let the trainer know up front how I was feeling.

First session I was such an excited wreck... that she would give me an instruction and I literally wouldn't hear it. She'd say put the ball in your left hand...for example and its like I couldn't think...which hands my left? Do what now? Throw what..huh?

I basically couldn't do the exercises right...I couldn't juggle running, clicking, a ball, sticking my hand out and watching the dog and listening to instructions all at the same time.

I went home thinking...meh, first day. I'll learn.

Second session comes. I was given homework. I explained that I *did* the homework but its wasn't perfected because my husband had been absent all week and I had been a bit overloaded.

She was nice, but I could see what I think was either disapointment or well masked irritation.

So instead she decides we should do a "go to you spot " exercise with a mat. Ok cool I think...I know how to train this. No problem Im still a nervous wreck at this point.

So I start and she stops me. Basically she wanted the behavior free shaped from scratch. I've explained to this trainer twice (and now three times in an email) that Emma doesn't understand freeshaping yet. This dog has not learned that offering behaviors gets a click (we're working on it tho, her background is in traditional training where offered behaviors are punished)

So when I realize that the dog is going to fail I had my first silent panic attack of my life. Im getting chills just thinking about it... brain turned off, wanted to get out of there, sweating, just silently freaking out.

I did not want my dog to be setup to fail. The idea pushed me over the edge I think. To put it in dog terms I was waaay over threshold.

Emma sat and stared at me (her default) the trainer instructed me to not look at the dog, not to move and only click her for walking onto the mat...so now I have a dog being unreward for great eye contact and slowly becoming more and more confused. If Emma gets a it "wrong" to often, she will shut down.

Emma finally glanced at the mat, so I clicked and i was scolded that I had lowered my criteria.

ten minutes later the dog finally just got bored and walked away.

So I go home and teach her the mat behavior. She gets it in like 2 minutes. All she needed was me to point at the mat (she understands targeting) I pointed 3 times and then stopped directing her

So our next session is in a week. I feel like if I go Im going to cry or yell at this poor woman. I honestly feel like that last session was a waste of time. I paid som'one to sit there while my dog stared at me confused.

Im not sure if the private lessons just put to much pressure on me. Since all eyes are on me, or if im having conflict for another reason.

I emailed her and asked why she wanted me to free shape the behavior and once again voiced my concerns. That was a week ago. She has not replied.

I feel like crap. Should I continue? I don't want to give up on this, but I just feel REALLY uncomfortable the whole time. Kinda like...I respect the trainer, but at the same time know my dog and understand OC like the back of my hand...part of me wants to do what she says word for word, and part of me knows whats best for my dog.

Help!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Is there any specific reason you are taking privates for agility foundations?

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 07-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Top Dog

First I would want know why she isn't responding to an email unless she is away competing...........or just away.

A good trainer should make you feel comfortable and shouldn't have the attitude of my way or the highway. Not all dogs and their owners can be trained/taught the same way. The first goal of any trainer should be some success and finding ways for the dog and handler to be successful if their first choice clearly isn't working.

Do you have other options for agility training? You may want to at least investigate them at this point esp. since you are experiencing so much stress even away from class. Nobody or animal can learn while that stressed.

Good luck.

Lynn
Old 07-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
Is there any specific reason you are taking privates for agility foundations?

I can't find classes offered anywhere on anyday but weekends...I work weekends and I can't get out of them. LOL

I basically can't find any classes anywhere for anything thats on a thurs/ fri (my days off)

I'd love to do Rally, or get my dogs their CGC...just can't do it because of this bunk schedual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
First I would want know why she isn't responding to an email unless she is away competing...........or just away.

A good trainer should make you feel comfortable and shouldn't have the attitude of my way or the highway. Not all dogs and their owners can be trained/taught the same way.

Do you have other options for agility training? You may want to at least investigate them at this point esp. since you are experiencing so much stress even away from class. Nobody or animal can learn while that stressed.

Good luck.

Lynn
Thank you. Unfortunately I think this is my only option besides training the whole shebang myself.

She also keeps finding the need to say that she doesn't like my clicker and that I have to have the I-click style. I get her reasoning, but it just makes me more self concious...like "oh you brought that stupid box clicker again"
Old 07-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Top Dog

You could also consider lessons with a trainer that you like and respect that is further away. Going to a private lesson twice a month that requires more travelling but without the stress will certainly ensure that you and your girl will learn faster. Especially if they give homework that is reasonable lol.

Something else to consider........most good agility trainers often don't offer lessons on weekends for the simple reason that they are competing or going to trials with their students.............unless it is the off season in your area for competing. Or the trainer is having a weekend off.

Take care,
Lynn
Old 07-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Top Dog

Perhaps I'll widen my search...This trainer is already 25 miles away, which isn't too bad.

The unanswered email is whats bothering me now that I've had time to calm down and think... infact to get the class I had to email several days after my phone message wasn't answered..

Is training the foundation stuff myself completely off base?
Old 07-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I agree it's not worth the stress. You can't be having fun, and I doubt Emma is either.. The attitude you explain is demeaning and belittling.

These days I am more apt to go further for a lesson with someone like an AAC judge, who I can only afford to go to more sparingly.. than do closer lessons that are more affordable but don't seem to be as challenging (for the level Cider is at). I get more out of going less often, but seemingly doing more when there.

I'd agree that most people I'd want to be takign lessons from offer next to nothing on weekends, as they are trialling.. maybe not every weekend, but enough of them that you can't offer a block of classes.

Wanna PM your location and see if anyone else can scare up other trainers for you?

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 07-28-2009, 10:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
I agree it's not worth the stress. You can't be having fun, and I doubt Emma is either.. The attitude you explain is demeaning and belittling.

These days I am more apt to go further for a lesson with someone like an AAC judge, who I can only afford to go to more sparingly.. than do closer lessons that are more affordable but don't seem to be as challenging (for the level Cider is at). I get more out of going less often, but seemingly doing more when there.

I'd agree that most people I'd want to be takign lessons from offer next to nothing on weekends, as they are trialling.. maybe not every weekend, but enough of them that you can't offer a block of classes.

Wanna PM your location and see if anyone else can scare up other trainers for you?

Thanks for you input!. She has weekday classes but the class I'd be in is on a wednesday..so it doesn't work.

As silly as it sounds I like the idea of being in a class with others (at least at first) so I have other green people/dogs to compare myself too...I tend to over analyze myself and don't like to be the center of attention.

Sending Pm in a sec...
Old 07-28-2009, 11:09 PM
overdogged

i understand being nervous TOTALLY but i wouldn't want to work with somebody who upset me so much and made me feel so bad about things. this is supposed to be FUN. for you and for the dog.

once upon a time i took two private obedience lessons with luce from someone who teaches only competition obedience. she's got impressive titles on her dog, working toward her otch, already has a mach. she isn't really a people person, and she intimidated the h3ll out of me. i'm a nervy person to start with, mind you.

but she never made me feel bad about myself, what i was doing, or what i had done to that point. oh she had plenty of suggestions and better ways to do things, but it was always "try this, i think you'll like it better".

although, come to think of it, i did spend ten minutes or so standing there staring at a box that my dog was supposed to interact with while my dog sat there and stared at me. lol luce isn't much for freeshaping either.

(i stopped going because luce blew her knee and just have never made it back, and now i found classes that give me similar feedback for way cheaper and way more convenient for me.)
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 07-29-2009, 06:46 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criosphynx View Post
Thanks for you input!. She has weekday classes but the class I'd be in is on a wednesday..so it doesn't work.

As silly as it sounds I like the idea of being in a class with others (at least at first) so I have other green people/dogs to compare myself too...I tend to over analyze myself and don't like to be the center of attention.
This is exactly what makes class more fun, and relaxing, especially in the beginning, rather than one on one.
I met some great friends in my beginner agility classes, and we went through all the levels together, helped each other out, and trialed together when we could. It was a much more relaxed atmosphere, and I found being in class with more newbies, I was able to learn from others mistakes as well as my own.
I've been in the one on one situation, and even when I really like the instructor and I'm not nervous, or overly excited, it always feels odd to be centre of attention, and I can guarantee you I make a ton of mistakes when I'm "being watched".
Remember not every instructor works well for every person. I think if you could fine a class you would have a much better time, and it really is all about having fun isn't it?
Good luck!

Brandy: The B Hive (JRT) - ADC, SGDC, AADC, RPT, RNMCL, CL2, CL3-R, CL3-H, CL3-S, HIT Agility JRTRO 2009 Trial

Pet Portraits, Design & Photography
www.juliesillustration.com

www.dogznart.blogspot.com