Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Top Dog

I got Chili @ Five weeks... so I can echo that your in for a bit of work..Its worth it tho

do you own other dogs? Calm dogs that can help teach her manners that she can interact with?
Old 07-29-2009, 08:38 AM
Top Dog

You may want to try some canned puppy as well. You can soak dry puppy as well, just takes longer. When I've weaned puppies in the past I have warmed canned food in the microwave until it is barely warm(just a couple of seconds)and they seem to eat it better than soaked dry. Just whatever works best for you, and best of luck! Keep us posted.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:12 AM
ACoops favorite

I bet that dog will be huge, if a four week old puppy is that size already.

My suggestion is to get a large breed puppy kibble and supplement with a table spoon or so of cottage cheese and maybe some green cow tripe (but only a little).

I'd go with Fromm's Gold Large Breed Puppy, because I've seen what Fromm's can do for a dog first hand. Plus, it's easy to digest and is a good "allergy" food.

I've seen puppies go as early as 6 weeks from working lines, but that's not so common here. I'm not sure how to advise you to get socialization for your puppy.

I know that there are breeders who will email the sammy list and say, "Singleton litter- my puppy is 3 weeks and needs other puppies to play with. Can your bitch take her for a day?"

And because all of the breeders know eachother, this is a common practice to make sure that the little one gets that socialization.