Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 07-28-2009, 07:01 AM
Big Dog

Default Myths about spaying and neutering benefits

Spay, Neuter, and Cancer: Revisiting and Old Trinity
Are you sure Mother Nature made a mistake by designing their reproductive system? Spayed and neutered animals are less interesting.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:04 AM
Just try me..

you know.. first off if you actually READ this forum you would know there are lots of us out here who are NOT fans of just removing mulit functional organs for no reason...

BUT to say they are less interesting is a HUGE insult... and fallacy. Snip is a lot more interesting now that he has been fixed. AND it hasn't decreased his prey drive one whit. He still wants to hunt just as bad.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:28 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufimych View Post
Spay, Neuter, and Cancer: Revisiting and Old Trinity
Are you sure Mother Nature made a mistake by designing their reproductive system? Spayed and neutered animals are less interesting.
I still get a bad feeling about this poster. Troll? Such out there posts to get everybody all wound up.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:40 AM
Big Dog

Dekka, thank you for noticing it. There is a lot of politics here. Look here:
Secret extremist agenda: To outlaw dogs as pets, says spay/neuter law critic - OC Watchdog - OCRegister.com
Let leave the political side of brainwashing by animal rightnicks. Here is my observation. Many years ago, I had my first West Siberian Laika female. Our house was not far from the lake, a recreational area open to dog owners. People walked their dogs near the lake. Many of those dogs, if turned loose, run near our house and I watched natural behavior of my female dog. She was territorial and she met not friendly every dog coming close, except most beautiful and always intact males. Females were most likely to be attacked and chased away, no matter what size or breed. Some of those dogs were spayed or neutered. If it was the male, she would fight him, like he would be a female. If female, she was less aggravated. I watched this behavior with great interest and cannot forget it. When I run to the "rescue" of the intruder, I asked the owner about his dog, was it intact, or not? I always keep only intact dogs, regardless, do I have them for breeding or not for breeding. Natural way of keeping dogs means keeping intact dogs. In our society, every dogs is required to learn a lot of "DON'Ts". Inactive, lethargic dogs are more convenient to keep in overcrowded environment. Unfortunately, selection for most convenient to handle and control dog inadvertently favors selection in favor of less healthy dogs. Add here inbreeding for show winning and you will understand why we have so many problems with purebreds today.
My observations on behavior of my female Laika showed, that spayed or neutered dogs were less likely to be beaten by another dog, perhaps, because they had no gender.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:45 AM
Big Dog

Do you have bad feelings about me? Stay away. You want to tell I am bad, so I would tell you I am good. Instead, I will continue to discuss the dogs. Established dogmas and brainwashing block using your own brains. This is a question of taste. I am promoting "green" dogs and "green" ways of keeping and caring of them.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:53 AM
Just try me..

There could be breed bias there. I have some intact some fixed dogs. Now I would never do young s/n... but our BC who is crazy drivey.. I mean over the top even by sporter collie standards didn't slow down with neutering. Snip was fixed at 3... no lethargy there. Dekka.. well its to early to tell she has only been fixed for 5 weeks now and has always been a very low key JRT (except if there are critters to get, agility to run, or a dock to jump off of)

My concern is more medical.

My dogs who are fixed are done so for my convience. Dekka had an unerring talent to come into heat right before large/important trials. Now that I have my one litter from her she doesn't need to mess up my plans anymore lol. Snip wanted to eat every male dog who came onto our property. He has mild allergies, combo of which made me not want to breed from him. I fixed him in the hopes of it lowering his fight drive.. and it has.. a little bit.

Kaiden is intact, i can't see wanting to breed from him.. but he is no issue to live with so he gets to keep his parts. The whippets have their parts too.. and will get to keep them as they are pretty low issue.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:05 AM
Top Dog

Three of our dobes are neuterd as well, because they live in the house together. Fixed is the only way male dobes can live together in peace without killing each other. There are many different reasons for spay/neuter, usualy for the best when it is done.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:20 AM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufimych View Post
Spayed and neutered animals are less interesting.
ah yes. Luce is desperately uninteresting.

Good Lord. Get out of my dogs' pants.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 07-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Resident fainting goat

at first, I thought it was a language barrier or something.. but honestly, I just think this OP just likes nsulting anybody that owns dogs that isn't just like him

once again, get off your high horse. your dogs are NO BETTER than anybody elses.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
at first, I thought it was a language barrier or something.. but honestly, I just think this OP just likes nsulting anybody that owns dogs that isn't just like him

once again, get off your high horse. your dogs are NO BETTER than anybody elses.
THANK YOU!! He/She only talks about his personal dogs. We all have dogs and talk about each others dogs, and try to help with each others dogs. I guess his are the only ones on worth anything? This is exactly what I have been saying about this poster all along!