Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Mo Wildlife Rehabber

Question 3 weeks old questions about FLEAS! and parvo vaccinations

I Recieved two 3 week old puppies from a Lady this evening after their mother was killed by the same Ladys pit bull.

I went and picked the wee ones up ASAP and was shocked to see thier environment they were outside in the wun in a rusty old cage with a very dirty blanket as bedding, The lady said they were born there and have been there since. I am really concerned about Parvo b/c she did have other dogs and since she is out in the woods the can at anytime come in contact with coons or skunks that carry parvo or even distemper. My question is how soon can I vaccinate them? They are no longer under the protection of there mothers milk. And I just dont want them to get sick

ALSO They are INFESTED with fleas. Anyone have something that would be safe for a three week old?

TY in advance!

Mandie
Old 08-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Top Dog

Oh, wow. That is heartbreaking. I hope that some of the breeders here can help.

I know that someone said earlier that you can bathe puppies in Dawn to get rid of fleas. But that wasn't 3 week old puppies.

Sorry I can't really help, but this made me sad and mad so I had to post anyway.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Mo Wildlife Rehabber

I know it just made me so mad!

My cousin was doing yard work for her, And he heard a commotion and the pit was trying to get in the cage with the pup and the mother was freaking and The pit bul grabbed her. And my cousin tried and tried (Lady yelling at hom to stop the pitbull) to get his jaws off her throat but just couldnt, and when the momma dog was dead the pitbull turned on my cousin. Thankfully he is ok. My cousin called me b/c the lady didnt have time to care for them. and in my mind it wa sonly a matter of time before they were killed as well.

Mandie
Old 08-04-2009, 01:48 AM
Pres. Of Gutter Club.....

You can use dawn on the puppies lather them up and let it sit for a minute or two(try and get the unconcentrated version or thing out the other stuff). That was what I have always been told with foster cases that were that young. Also, I would contact your vet about what to do with the vacinations....

ETA Make sure they are kept super warm after their bath so that they dont get chilled.

I know the secret handshake!!![
Nolu's mindsoap ... known by all not used by many...
Chat is amazing for this reason....
[darkchild16] I love my stick
[TheWonderPuppies] does it have batteries
[TheWonderPuppies] *ducks*
[darkchild16] OH GOD I DID NOT MEANT HAT
Old 08-04-2009, 06:59 AM
Top Dog

First of all, first shots are at 6 weeks. Go ahead and deworm now also. As far as the fleas, there are two different ways to help. You can soak a hand towel in flea spray and wrap all of the pup but the nose in like a swaddle, and hold it that way for a couple of minutes or so. That will suffocate the fleas. Or you can do the same with the towel and just wipe a LIGHT coat of the spray on them. I have done both in the past when I worked for a vet. Then at 4 weeks you can give capstar to keep them controlled.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:44 AM
Top Dog

When I worked at the shelter, we always used Dawn on puppies that young. Then we followed up with a good oatmeal bath to get some oils back into their poor skin.
Good luck with the babies!

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Mo Wildlife Rehabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobesgalore View Post
First of all, first shots are at 6 weeks. Go ahead and deworm now also. As far as the fleas, there are two different ways to help. You can soak a hand towel in flea spray and wrap all of the pup but the nose in like a swaddle, and hold it that way for a couple of minutes or so. That will suffocate the fleas. Or you can do the same with the towel and just wipe a LIGHT coat of the spray on them. I have done both in the past when I worked for a vet. Then at 4 weeks you can give capstar to keep them controlled.

I know normally you woud vaccinate at 6 weeks, it was just the complications of the situation that had me worried, I was only asking here last night b/c I couldnt get ahold of my vet til this morning. And I wanted to get as much info Asap.

Both Pups are well and have taken well to bottle feeding. My vet gave me some Flea madication that is ok for younger puppies.

I already had the worming under control

Mandie
Old 08-05-2009, 12:21 AM
Top Dog

What medication did he give you? I had always thought you couldn't give any flea meds to a pup that young, it'd be nice to know if there actually is something you can do.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:40 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
What medication did he give you? I had always thought you couldn't give any flea meds to a pup that young, it'd be nice to know if there actually is something you can do.
I'd like to know what he gave also.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:23 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I can't remember what we used on the neighbor's kittens but there is something you can use on very young animals. These kittens had them so bad that when we applied the stuff to a washcloth and wrapped it around them..the fleas ran to the face (the only place it wasn't used) and completely covered it. IT was ghastly.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white cat