Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 07-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Need help with ears

Maddie hates to have her ears cleaned. Right now she has some ear gunk and I have cleaned them for the past two days. Today she fought really hard and will not let us do her ears. We can play with her and touch every part of body including her ears. But when she sees the meds come out, she turns into a pain.

Any ideas?
Old 07-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Top Dog

I'd have a vet do it .....

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Top Dog

Try taking her into the bathroom & closing the door. For some reason, that takes the "fight" right out of them. When we first got him, Caleb used to fight like crazy when I did his ears and nails. I took him in the bathroom so he didn't have so much room to get away from me, and he just sat in one spot. Now I can do his ears and nails anyplace. I still do ears in the bathroom most time (with the door open), but that's because that's where the stuff is.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Love my pets

My vet has me use Zymox which helps to clean out all the dirt in the ears. It doesn't burn like other products and even my dogs which run from cleaners don't mind this.

I buy it online from EntirelyPets Discount Pet meds Pet Supplies & Flea Medicine

Zymox Otic (1.25oz) with Hydrocortisone (1.0%)

Old 07-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Puppy Dog

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them. I managed to get the medicine in one year when she was on the couch by sweet talking her, but it took a long time.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Top Dog

That's what I use .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-26-2009, 03:08 PM
tessa_s212

I have cocker spaniels. Notorious for awful ears. I also work in a vet clinic and we see a LOT of dogs with ear problems. Unfortunately, a large chunk are even aggressive when it comes time to do ear cleanings.

I never gave mine a choice. We started off slowly, and good behavior was immensely rewarded, but I was also very strict. I first started training them by doing nothing more than using a wet cotton ball to swipe the inside of their ear as puppies. When they got used to this (and sitting very still for it), I started putting up an ear cleaner bottle to their ear and acting as if I'd pour it in, but not. Then, finally I'd put small amounts, and then the amount needed. You should make it as pleasant as absolutely possible.. but ear cleaning is just one of those things that AREN'T pleasant no matter what you do. It DOES feel funny to have liquid in your ear, even if it isn't painful. So for us, it was a combination of immense rewarding for good behavior, and demanding strict compliance to sitting still as I did it, no matter how much they hated it. My cocker spanielhas had more praise and comments regarding her perfect behavior during ear cleaners than I could count on all my fingers and toes. My vet absolutely loves her. Usually "ear problem" exams are a nightmare for vets, but with Cocoa they are a breeze.

If your dog doesn't have recurrent ear infections, but simply gets a little bit of dirt built up, something as simple as water, vinegar, and witch hazel can be used to cleanse the ear. It is easy to make at home, it is not painful, and it is inexpensive. Ointments and other more expensive ear cleaners that you get from your vet are not needed unless your dog develops an ear infection. A gentle cleanser is sufficient. These can be homemade or bought from regular pet supply stores.

And lastly, ALWAYS make sure the ear cleaner is kept in a relatively warm location. If you keep it anywhere in which the bottle is cooled, the dog will NOT appreciate cold liquid being dumped in the ear.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Active Pup

Every dog has the same nature. My dog (Hujjo) is also same and he never likes to take a bath.