Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-17-2004, 09:12 AM
Big Dog

Default First time for raw eggs!!!

Last night, I tried giving the girls each a raw egg with supper. Jersey licked hers, then looked at Serene and I suspisciously, and tried to take it and hide like it was the best treat. Serene licked all around hers, ate all the food she could without touching it, then when all that was left was the egg, she tried it and wolfed it right down!! They checked each others bowls for scraps, then Serene came over and belched in my face like "Thanks mom, great supper!"
Old 09-17-2004, 09:20 AM
Felurian

That's funny! We had a little mutt-dog, Morgan, who ate eggs in the strangest way. We had two white ducks who were prolific egg layers and the dogs got duck eggs regularly. Morgan would lick all the white up, then take one canine and puncture the yolk, then lap it up, eyes closed, savoring every last drop. If we gave him the egg shell and all, he'd make a hole in the shell with his canine and do the same thing. Purdue, the GSD, would toss the egg in the air and let it crack open on the ground, or drop it on the concrete walk, then eat it.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:37 AM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

What exactly do raw eggs do for dogs?
Old 09-17-2004, 10:53 AM
Show Dog

Raw eggs help with their coat, at lest thats why I feed them.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:26 AM

My dogs LOVE raw egg. And, I see the shine in their coats that I know is from the egg. I give it to them just once a week.......that's why it's such a big treat. I've also given a little olive oil....makes the coat gleam...but just a sprinkle and not too often...usually when I give raw garlic. The dogs think that is their Italian dinner night.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:50 PM
Felurian

It's more than just the coat. Eggs are the most complete protein available. When I was bodybuilding, I mixed one of the day's protein drinks with a raw egg. It made a huge difference, not only in my workout, but the results. Imagine how much more it does for dogs, who are much more metabolically efficient than we are.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:01 PM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

So. how often would you recommend giving them eggs?
Old 09-17-2004, 01:21 PM
Felurian

I wouldn't think it would hurt a dog Bula's size to have one or two eggs two or three times a week unless it bothers her allergies. Dixie, being so small, is probably good with one egg a couple of times a week, again, unless it bothers her allergies.

I can't help but wonder, since Dixie has allergies, and Bula's developed allergies, if they aren't caused by something in the environment there, rather than being food related. Adjusting their food to reduce potential allergens like you did works wonders, but I do wonder if there is some pollutant that's bothering them, and possibly affecting you and the rest of the local population. It's amazing what kind of industrial pollution is allowed if the right money is applied to the right office. . .
Old 09-17-2004, 01:49 PM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

Well, Dixie had that one year when her allergies were really bad, but she really hasn't had anymore problems with them. Bula is getting better, so I don't know. But, on the other hand, I do live like 1 mile from a chemical plant.....you never know....
Old 09-17-2004, 02:07 PM
Felurian

Awww, geez!