Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-30-2009, 02:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
IF you do not remove the dewclaw that is necessary no matter what they run on.
since when?

are salukis even born with dewclaws on the rear?

wait...are you talking about clipping the dewclaw or removing it?
Old 07-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Top Dog

I think clipping.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
question..do you use fly wipe to keep the flies from eating off the tips of their ears? I am assuming you have flies where you live. I don't think anyone is really exempt from them. THat is a preventative. ANd you say you feed them. Why do you not expect them to kill their own food if you insist that they live a wild life? DO you clip nails? IF you do not remove the dewclaw that is necessary no matter what they run on. I am just curious? What about eye injury? IS the dog expected to go on with one eye since there is no vet care...even tho it could be treated easily? WHat if they need stitches? Do you do that yourself? WHat difference is it between your doing it or a vet?
From his other thread, in response to what he considers emergency (ie, when he goes to the vet):
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufimych View Post
A broken bone, an eye injury, a rattle snake bite, eating poison, etc. Some chronic diseases caused by a manufactured food, exposure to household chemicals may be needed to be identified...Dogs are not immortal anyway, but a genetically healthy, good working and intelligent dogs deserve good care.
His dog seemed to have nice, full ears...
Old 07-30-2009, 03:10 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

THat's good. I missed that post i guess. I Thought he said he didn't vet. I couldn't for the life imagine someone not doing so or why.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 07-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobesgalore View Post
First, ANY dog can bite. Second if an owner dosn't know dogs well enough to read that kind of behavior they don't need a dog. And what has a person done to the dog to cause him to react that way?
Of course any dog can bite. But a stable dog with an even temperament and proper training is a lot less likely to bite than a nerve bag dog that doesn't have any training. And I agree- someone who can't read their dog's behavior shouldn't have one, but we both know that is rarely a criteria for dog ownership. Breeders who take pride in their dogs and who screen their potential puppy owners wouldn't sell a dog to someone like that, but a bad breeder with poorly bred dogs who doesn't care who gets a pup isn't going to look twice at who is buying the dog, only that their money is green.

I'm speaking strictly from a bad genetics point of view, not from an environmental one. The original point I argued was the statement about "a dog can't help the way it was born", and in my hypothetical case, the dog was born as a fearful dog where a person doesn't have to do anything to have him react. The kind of dog that's scared of his own shadow but from a dog breed that might have been a working breed at some point so it's penchant for using it's teeth is engrained in it's history.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Quote:
THat's good. I missed that post i guess. I Thought he said he didn't vet. I couldn't for the life imagine someone not doing so or why.
thanks for the response , i had thought that was the case as it was so unlike you .

have a good evening
Old 07-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Aroooooo!

Quote:
I have had Bailey for 5 years and she has seen the vet twice. This may make me a bad person, but the only time she's been was when she was spayed, and then again when she had an allergic reaction.

But she is as useful as a throw pillow anyway (dont tell her I said that,) So shes pretty low maintenence.

"Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves." The art of racing in the rain.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Active Pup

my male is intact.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:51 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Believe me i am the last one to run to the vet for minor things. Still we have shots and heartworm tests when it is necessary. VIctor must see a vet for an all clear for his therapy dog job once a year. I have had PEpper two years and she has been three times. First for her heartworm test and vaccinations. THe second for the growth that formed between her toes that was making her limp. THe third because i thought the growth was coming back since she was limping again on the same foot...but it was a joint injury that healed up on it's own. Mary went over a decade with no problems but as she aged things happen like the mole on her eyelid that was scratching the surface of her eye. I apologize to the OP. I thought I read no vet and that just made my heart sink to think animals were being treated that way.

. I had a cat that went almost 17 years without a problem. HE made up for it with his first two years of life however. He had infection after infection but we got his immune system built up and after that for an indoor outdoor cat He was incredibly lucky.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 07-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Except back on post 17 of that other thread.. he doesn't vet for even snake bites.. So the contradictions are endless. Seems not to vet for anything at all, as it's better for his gene pool. If a snake bite and a breech pup aren't emergencies I can't fathom what actually might count as one.

Quote:
Only emergency can send me to a vet. My dogs recover snake bites, no fatalities so far. Copperheads are no problem. They still avoided rattlers. In their home country, if the dog got sick, it either dies, or survives. No vets. Natural selection takes care about weak and unfit. This is why they live a long and healthy life.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground