Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 08-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Top Dog

I have a really hard time putting Frontline on my cats and dogs. I can never seem to get it right--even the short haired ones. More of it spreads onto the fur then onto the skin. With the longhaired animals, I actually cut a small spot of fur off so I can get to the skin easier
Old 08-09-2009, 03:29 AM
Ruddy Buttinski

Wow, I didn't see all these replies! Thanks everyone. Well, I gave up on the Advantage. Sienna is rawfed, and I think her immune system and general heath are great, but the fleas still go after her like crazy. I imagine it's because of the cats - between myself, my roommate, and our landlord we have 5, I'm sure they pick up fleas in the yard. The cats are treated regularly with Advantage, so of course all the fleas go on the dog!

I ordered some diatomeceous (sp?) earth, which arrived the other day. I tried it on Sienna and OMG, I am never doing that again. Her fur is so dry now, especially her poor tail! It did kill the fleas, though, she hasn't been scratching anymore. It did a great job of killing her coat as well. I think it's better for short haired breeds!

New plan - bathe her once a week, using conditioner!!! And I'm going to try some herbal flea repellant sprays on top of that. I got one at Petsmart that has cedar and some other oils in it. They didn't have any Neem which I've heard is good, probably have to order that online. I was, however, inspired to read up some Sheltie forums and learn how to properly groom her, and bought some good brushes and shears to trim her feet...hopefully between the bathing, the spray, and the Advantage on the cats, she can stay flea-free.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Very Food Agressive

I thought garlic was bad for dogs o.O

Izzy used to wear a flea collar back in the day when she was like... 10 weeks old. since then she's never itched once and been to the dag park many a times. I have used flea/tick stuff from wally world *gag* and really just ended up with a greasy dog. (We were going to a place with a high HW+ population)

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:34 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
Wow, I didn't see all these replies! Thanks everyone. Well, I gave up on the Advantage. Sienna is rawfed, and I think her immune system and general heath are great, but the fleas still go after her like crazy. I imagine it's because of the cats - between myself, my roommate, and our landlord we have 5, I'm sure they pick up fleas in the yard. The cats are treated regularly with Advantage, so of course all the fleas go on the dog!

I ordered some diatomeceous (sp?) earth, which arrived the other day. I tried it on Sienna and OMG, I am never doing that again. Her fur is so dry now, especially her poor tail! It did kill the fleas, though, she hasn't been scratching anymore. It did a great job of killing her coat as well. I think it's better for short haired breeds!

New plan - bathe her once a week, using conditioner!!! And I'm going to try some herbal flea repellant sprays on top of that. I got one at Petsmart that has cedar and some other oils in it. They didn't have any Neem which I've heard is good, probably have to order that online. I was, however, inspired to read up some Sheltie forums and learn how to properly groom her, and bought some good brushes and shears to trim her feet...hopefully between the bathing, the spray, and the Advantage on the cats, she can stay flea-free.
Don't bath weekly, you will continue to dry the coat by washing away natural oils in the coat. Monthly is a lot better. You won't dry them out that way.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Puppy Dog

Try flea comb,vacuuming often,washing dog bed often for inside the house then use nematode outside the house(yard).Lemon+water solution works good for my dog.I have Pembroke welsh corgi.
http://yassysgdk.com
Old 08-10-2009, 04:48 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

What they taught us where I learned to groom dogs is that you can bath a day as much as you want. A few times a week even is just fine. But you have to be using a high quality shampoo for dogs. All natural if possible. Its the heat from blow dryers that drys out the skin.

It makes since that a bath in something no matter how gentle would wash off the oils, but I was told it was fine.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:18 AM
ACoops favorite

My mom is having a horrid time with her keeshonden right now. Frontline is a total bust, and her pooches get groomed once every three weeks professionally, and then she picks fleas out every night because they're so intense.

She's going to try sentinal, but I'm not sure if that will work. I think that Comfortis may work better, but it's obvious that a topical treatment is not working.