Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 07-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

Default Flea control for heavy coated breeds?

Sorry if this belongs in Dog Health, it seemed like sort of a grooming problem to me. Fluffy dog owners - what do you use for fleas? My dog is a mix of (I think) Sheltie and/or Pom, and she has quite a mane. We use Advantage successfully on the cats, but Sienna's fur just soaks it up. It's like I haven't put anything on her at all, the fleas are still there, and it doesn't spread over her coat the way it does on the cats.

Going to try the diatomaceous (sp?) earth thing, but curious as to what Sheltie, Pom, Chow, etc. owners use on their dogs?
Old 07-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Taxiderpy

We have a borzoi and have had great success with Comfortis. It's a fairly new oral medication. They eat a pill once a month...and that's pretty much it. None of the topicals worked on him either, so it was a skin saver.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Top Dog

Smile

I use k9 Advantix on our Australian Shepherd. It works wonderful! No fleas, no ticks, and mosquitoes stay away. When you put on any spot on, make sure you part the hair all the way to the skin, and be sure the spot on is directly on the skin. If you do that, it will spread on the oils of the skin over the whole dog. I put it on at the shoulder, then part the hair at the base of the tail and do it again. I will cover quicker that way.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Top Dog

I've had no problem with Ollie or my past Goldens . Agree you have to part the fur .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-23-2009, 01:11 AM
Ruddy Buttinski

Yeah, I part her hair and get it on the skin. I've tried putting it above and below her ruff, below the ruff and at the base of the tail... She just has such a dense undercoat that it never gets past! I'll look into that pill, that sounds like a pretty good idea.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Top Dog

Don't do it by the tail !!! Only where they can't lick !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
Yeah, I part her hair and get it on the skin. I've tried putting it above and below her ruff, below the ruff and at the base of the tail... She just has such a dense undercoat that it never gets past! I'll look into that pill, that sounds like a pretty good idea.

What your supposed to do is part the fur enough to see the skin and then apply. Also only apply it in between the shoulders or a bit higher.

I use Frontline Plus with no flea problems. With Revolution that the previous owner of Lola was using she had fleas.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Top Dog

We have Newfoundland dogs and do not have any problems with fleas therefore we do not use any preventatives. Our dogs get a home prepared diet with garlic and nutritional yeast added to their meals. I have used diatomaceous earth on my Rottweiler to prevent her from picking up ticks on our hikes, it leaves a very clumpy coat and I probably would not sprinkle on the Newf's. You can however use diatomaceous earth in your home where the dogs sleep. Many people say the health or adding garlic and nutritional yeast to the dogs diet does not prevent flea infestations. But I feel that a dog with a strong immune system will be less attractive to fleas. Our dogs have been around other dogs crawling with fleas and never pick them up.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:54 AM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

Im a comfortis fan for my shelties
Old 08-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Top Dog

hmm, i may have to look into this comfortis as well...

I used advantix but Oakley still gets fleas...YUCK. I can never even find them his coat is so thick...i can't even imagine dealing with a sheltie, haha

Thanks Jessie!