Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

Default Name that mix?

Hi, I'm new here and mostly have been lurking but decided to come out of hiding. This is my rescue pup, Sienna. It's the enduring mystery of my life what breeds she's a mix of. Any guesses?

I don't have any pics of her standing. She's 20 lbs and 18" tall, and sleeps curled up like a fox. Her tail has the full range of motion - she holds it down normally, sometimes level with her back, and when she's really happy, it curls over her back. Her movements are very delicate and ladylike. She's not very barky and doesn't seem to have much prey drive. She's super attached to me, and reserved with strangers, but friendly once she gets to know people.

Breed guesses so far have been Sheltie, King Charles Spaniel, Pomeranian, American Eskimo. She's colored like a Shiba Inu, but with Eskie type fur. I would guess Sheltie/Eskie or Sheltie/Shiba, but can't account for the drop ears. I feel like I'm missing something obvious though! Maybe Border Collie and???

So, any guesses? Oh, and the shelter had her labeled as a Chow. Uh....riiiiight.
One of those toy chows Although if she were larger I would have said chow/lab mix. Not at 20 lbs though.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

I definately see one of the spitz breeds, and perhaps spaniel? Its easier to place the types than the exact breeds, especially since most mixes are not 50/50. I'd say a mininature spitz (Eskie or Pom, maybe Shiba) and one of the smaller spaniels. But there may well be other things in there.

Whatever she is, she's darling!!

And I don't see Chow at all. If there's no black on her tongue you can pretty much rule it out . . . dogs with no Chow can have black, but dogs with significant ammounts of Chow almost always have some.

By the way, welcome to Chaz . . . you can see my mystery mutt in my avatar.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 07-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Top Dog

Oh my gosh, she's adorable!

I agree, I see pomeranian, and perhaps spaniel in her. She actually looks kind of similar to my mystery-breed Lucy (although Lucy's all black, and has the chow spots on her tongue).

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 07-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

Thanks, yours are both adorable, too! Lilavati, I see maybe some Akita in your pup? Mystery mutts are the best!
Old 07-19-2009, 11:23 PM
I'm on a boat..

I see no Chow at all, but just to note..female Chows have been as small as 35 lbs full grown when they're on the smaller end.

I'd agree with the others, probably more than two breeds in there.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
Thanks, yours are both adorable, too! Lilavati, I see maybe some Akita in your pup? Mystery mutts are the best!
It may be Akita, we think it might be Jindo though. The county she came from had a puppy mill that bred Jindos, and she looks a lot like one in person. But we will probably never know. Its definately one of the Asian spitzes, and its probably not Chow, so that leaves Akita and Jindo as breeds that are at all probable, since Shiba is unlikely and the others are very rare. But that's the fun of it . . .name that mix!

Here's a full body shot of Sarama:

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 07-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Behavior Nerd

Pomeranian for sure I would say, and I'm liking the spaniel as the other large part. Whatever she is, she's beautiful!

Old 07-20-2009, 12:02 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

I see pom/sheltie.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Top Dog

Oh, gosh, she's cute! My guess would be Cocker Spaniel/Sheltie/Pom. She looks like such a sweetie!
Old 07-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Top Dog

I see Pap ....

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/