Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-07-2009, 08:04 PM
tdog7879 tdog7879 is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 33
Default My 8 week old puppy has worms!!!

My 8 week aussie pup has little white worms. I did get some OTC dewormer and gave it to him and a bunch came out! But im still seeing some here and there. These worms appear to be about a 1/4 and seem to be flat as they reach out. He is going to the vet tomorow....just wanted opinions on what it might be.

Also while doing more research on australin sheperds, i came across several different articals saying that heart worm med can be harmful for this breed if they have a certain gene that they are born with. Can anyone give me a little bit more info on this!


Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Zoom's Avatar
Zoom Zoom is offline
Twin 2.0
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 40,737
Default

Hi and welcome!

The gene referred to is the MDR1 mutation and makes those dogs/breeds very sensitive to ivermectin, which is commonly found in Heartguard and things of that nature. If you use products like Interceptor, you'll be fine. They use a different ingredient that has been proven safe for MDR1-affected dogs and is just an overall better (in my opinion) product for any dog. Drontal (a wormer) is fine to give to Aussies. It's not uncommon for pups to have worms, though a breeder should have wormed their litter a few times before sending them home.

Cant' wait to see pictures of your pup! Where did you get him from?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-07-2009, 08:15 PM
tdog7879 tdog7879 is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
Hi and welcome!

The gene referred to is the MDR1 mutation and makes those dogs/breeds very sensitive to ivermectin, which is commonly found in Heartguard and things of that nature. If you use products like Interceptor, you'll be fine. They use a different ingredient that has been proven safe for MDR1-affected dogs and is just an overall better (in my opinion) product for any dog. Drontal (a wormer) is fine to give to Aussies. It's not uncommon for pups to have worms, though a breeder should have wormed their litter a few times before sending them home.

Cant' wait to see pictures of your pup! Where did you get him from?
Thanks for the quick reply and answering all my questions.. The breeder was a guy in NC which was a little iffy cause he had 47 dogs all aussies..Kinda wierd in my opinion? Ant how he said he did deworm the pups a couple of times but it was some stuff from a feed store he also said he gave the pup his 8 week shot??? I hope so. Anyways i will post some pics ASAP. But i do have more ??? if you have some free time.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-07-2009, 08:25 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdog7879 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply and answering all my questions.. The breeder was a guy in NC which was a little iffy cause he had 47 dogs all aussies..Kinda wierd in my opinion? Ant how he said he did deworm the pups a couple of times but it was some stuff from a feed store he also said he gave the pup his 8 week shot??? I hope so. Anyways i will post some pics ASAP. But i do have more ??? if you have some free time.
Why don't you post the rest of the questions, there's lots of people here that can help!
__________________
Ella: 3 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~8 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-07-2009, 09:05 PM
tdog7879 tdog7879 is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Why don't you post the rest of the questions, there's lots of people here that can help!
Ok...is sentinel safe for the aussie breed?
the breeder recomened using a dog from a feeder store and after doing more reserch the dog food had alot of by products in it!!! So we decied to go with canidae all life stages...need opinions on this.
Also the pup does seem to sleep alot but does get up and play but more sleep then anything.....is this normal in a 8 week old pup?


Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-07-2009, 09:19 PM
tdog7879 tdog7879 is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 33
Default

couple pic taken with my BB.

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,391
Default

oh my goodness your puppy is adorable!! <3

about the worms, no worries, go to the vet and he will be able to get a fecal sample of his poop and send you home with a couple of days of meds depending on what worms it is and then your pup will be fit as a fiddle

canidea is a GREAT food for your puppy a lot of people here feed it to their dogs. foods like that, with no by-products, colors, fillers (wheat etc..) are usually the best for the health of your dog

and your puppy is absolutely precious, I love blue merles

I would hurry up with the vet visit tho! from the sounds of it, he came from a notsogood breeder, so he might have some health problems that he will need to be treated for
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-07-2009, 09:25 PM
tdog7879 tdog7879 is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
oh my goodness your puppy is adorable!! <3

about the worms, no worries, go to the vet and he will be able to get a fecal sample of his poop and send you home with a couple of days of meds depending on what worms it is and then your pup will be fit as a fiddle

canidea is a GREAT food for your puppy a lot of people here feed it to their dogs. foods like that, with no by-products, colors, fillers (wheat etc..) are usually the best for the health of your dog

and your puppy is absolutely precious, I love blue merles

I would hurry up with the vet visit tho! from the sounds of it, he came from a notsogood breeder, so he might have some health problems that he will need to be treated for
Thanks...... he has an apointment tomorow!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-07-2009, 09:29 PM
tdog7879 tdog7879 is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 33
Default

So does antone no if sentinel safe for this breed?
I just want to make sure the vet that im going no's what he/she is talking about!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-07-2009, 10:29 PM
bubbatd's Avatar
bubbatd bubbatd is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 64,812
Default

Welcome and I'm sorry about your pup . I always checked the Mom's stool before breeding and can truthfully say that none of my pups ever had worms ! I always did 3 checks before they went home and was furious when their vets would say " all pups have worms " and would fill the with meds !
__________________
A light for all who are crossing dark times.


http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site