Toilet training a cat?

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Any thoughts/experiences? I'm seriously getting tired of the litterbox stench (Pi doesn't cover his poo) and toilet training has come to mind as a possible solution, but I'd like some first hand info vs. advertising mumbo jumbo.

mjb

No first hand experience on training, but my in-laws took in a stray who absolutely blew them away when he jumped on their toilet and went. They had never heard of training a cat to use a toilet, and they were completely shocked at a stray using their toilet!! Obviously, he had been trained by someone.

They never found who he belonged to, and he stayed with them. They thought it was great that he used the toilet.

I think I've seen the subject covered in books, so you might fight something in a bookstore about how to train.

bubbatd

It's the only way I'd have a cat !! I know it can be done ! Don't think that they flush though !

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
At this point I don't care if he flushes - just that I don't have to deal with a box!! My biggest concern is behavior problems due to cats not naturally being comfortable pottying in the toilet.

Maxy24

I personally would not ever do it, but that's me. Some cats choose to do it, obviously they are comfortable with it, but I would not want to have my cat use the toilet if he was not comfortable with it.

If you do try this remember that is natural for cats to only want to go in absorbent places like fabric and sand so they may choose carpet over toilet, I would have another litter box available until it's obvious the cat is fine using the toilet without any sort of litter box in it.

Here is something that shows how to do it: How to Toilet-Train Your Cat

I know if I tried to touch my cat while he was about to go potty (to adjust his feet) he would be out of that bathroom without thinking twice and would surely be hesitant to try again. Same thing if he peed/pooped and water splashed up on him.

I don't know why having a cat use the toilet bothers me so much, if they choose to I don't care but making them do it bothers me for some reason, but there is no logic behind it so I would ignore me.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
(I have some similar feelings, Erin. That's why I want to hear from people who have had success so I know it's not about forcing my wishes on my cat, but just another training thing to try I guess.)

I'm not going to try messing with his feet - we'll just go gradually and let him figure that out on his own. He's already fascinated by the toilet lol so at least we have that going for us, and his current litterbox is a top load one so he's used to jumping up to go.

I found a yahoo group, so we'll see what I learn there, too.

bubbatd

Directions sound logical and easy !!! Anxious to hear how it goes !

grab01

I'm on a boat..
Something about it just icks me out, not sure what.

But then I don't mind litter boxes. It might help that I work around animals and their smells all day as well. So anything my cats do pales in comparison to 18 kittens at work using clay litter.

Members online