Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-12-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Working Labradors (and a question)

My best friend is looking for a good lab. She's located in central Texas so anything in Texas would be great. She wants a hunting dog and the only decent links I can find are show type breeders. She's never bought a dog before, just had shelter dogs so this is a new experience for her. I sent her links to the AKC breed club and the local retriever club. They live on a small farm with some cows and a rescued retriever cross. She hunts a lot with her family so it sounds like the life for a lab to me.

Also, does anyone know much about the Swans in Sanger, Texas? I am trying to learn more about our old dog, Pete and he was from them. I can't find a site but the only thing I can find is this:

Welcome to Working Retriever Central! The World Wide Website for Working Retrievers!

We had him in the 80s so it's been a while. I know a couple people have field dogs here so I'm curious if anyone knows anything.

Last edited by Laurelin; 07-12-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Uffda!

When my dad was searching for a pointer we came across this site. Now a few of these breeders aren't the best but I've found a lot of them do field work and also do all the proper testing on their dogs. Hope it helps!

Hunting Dog Puppies in TX*–*Texas Bird Dog Breeders - Gun Dog Breeders Directory

"The great secret, Eliza, is not having bad manners or good manners or any other particular sort of manners, but having the same manner for all human souls: in short, behaving as if you were in Heaven, where there are no third-class carriages, and one soul is as good as another." George Bernard Shaw Pygmalion
Old 07-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Twin 2.0

I would encourage her to go to Labrador Retriever Dogs ChatForum Board - Dogs, Puppies, Photos, Training, Pictures, Rescue Forums and ask on there. Lots of working breeders who will know the right people to point her towards.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Top Dog

Have her check out the UKC message board, too. There are a few people there that hunt as well as hunt test their Labs. Someone there might be able to help her.

UKC Message Boards - powered by vBulletin
Old 07-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Top Dog

I have a friend who hunts with his labs, and he fosters dogs for a lab rescue. He often gets young labs that he thinks would be good hunting dogs, and tries to find hunters to place them with. I understand if she wants a dog from a breeder, but if she is interested in adopting, I can PM you his information.