Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 07-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Top Dog

Default Caesar keeps having diarrhea

He had it all over his crate last night and all over my car today when Justin went on a quick errand with them. He's drinking a lot of water which is good I guess. He ate some of his dinner last night but not all of it. I sorta bribed him with a little bit of canned dog food (Chicken Soup). Doesn't seem to be acting abnormally but I guess we don't really know what's "normal" yet.

When should I start to worry?

Old 07-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Remembering Casey ♥

Give him a bit of Canned pure pumkin or something.

I dunno when you should start to worry. The dog is probably still a little stressed from being in a new enviroment sooo.. I dunno..

God luck though!
Old 07-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Top Dog

Yeah, I mean, Maggie has diarrhea and vomiting sometimes but never this much. Justin pretty much just has to keep him outside and it's just constant. I'm just worried that he caught something in the kennel And what if he gives it to Maggie?

Justin says he seems uncomfortable. BUT at least he's drinking plenty of water still.

I can't help but worry They're my babies.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Behavior Nerd

The canned pumpkin is a good idea, but it might also be a good idea to scoop some of it and take it to the vet for a fecal.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Top Dog

Yeah I think I'll do that too. Wonder if I have to make an appointment for that... because they haven't seen him before since I just got him Friday.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Felurian

Call the vet first thing in the a.m. Hopefully they can squeeze him in. Normally I don't get too worried about diarrhea when there's been a major change in a dog's situation unless it keeps on consistently, but having come from the kennel like that I'd tend to want a check up as soon as possible.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Salty Sea Dog

i would take him and a fecal to the vets, hes new so should get a good check up anyway (and im sure your vet will want to get to know him...
and he should definatly get checked for worms and giardia/parisites (both are common in kennel/shelter situations)

untill then you can give him pepto bismal if you dont have acesst to none sweetened canned pumpkin, dose at 1 teaspoon per 10lbs of body weight twice a day...it may darken the poop but should help with the icky tummy untill the vet can get a look at him.

its probbaly a cimbination of stress and excitment (is he on a new food brand also?) but id want a fecal just incase...

if the vets cant fit him in today ask if you can drop off a fecal sample for them to check so you can get it under control and get him booked in for his first check asap

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 07-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Top Dog

Thanks guys. I don't think we'll be able to actually get him into the vet tomorrow because we would have to get him in before 11am since we both have to work... but I'll try, and we can at least hopefully take a stool sample in. He hasn't eaten much yet since we've had him. He ate a liiiiittle bit last night, the Eukanuba he was on as well as a small handful of TOTW and a couple spoonfuls of canned dog food. I'll pick up some canned pumpkin on my way home from work. Justin's watching him, he doesn't want to leave him unsupervised.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Love My Mutt <3

hmm this sounds like what Finnegan had. He has some sort of parasite (can't remember the name) that the vaccines don't protect against. If it is, it is contagious to any other animals in the house and to humans.

They don't even really need a stool sample if it is this... they just ask a bunch of questions and such (atleast they didn't here)

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Twin 2.0

He probably picked up something from the shelter; get him into your vet as soon as you can. Otherwise, you're doing everything right and it'll just take some time to settle in.

I was worried to death when Sawyer wouldn't really eat the first week I had him home...he was just adjusting to his new home and being on his own.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!