Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

ufimych

you have me thinking alot about breeding practices. and i am unsure how i feel. thats a good thing.

THANK you for the intelligent responses you have given , even though you get thinly vield hostility.

I will now take into consideration everything EVERYONE has said in this thread before i consider a breeder.

If i had time I would be on a puppy hunt , but alas i have none.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

You stated early on in this thread that you feed kibble as well as ground beef.

I will be sure to tell my dogs that they are not real.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 07-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Big Dog

bogart, this is for you and also answering several critics at once. Yes, selection of a dog, which you want to share your life with is a serious business. Can you imagine how bitter you may feel, if after financial and emotional investment, you have to put it down, because of debilitating health problems? This is so common now and with some breeds it became simply impossible to avoid. Select the right breed, then, the right breeder; choose one who is using his dogs for some serious physical work, such as herding, guarding, sledding or hunting. Avoid commercial (licensed kennels included) kennels and, of course, pet shops. Look for individual breeder, who understands his dogs and knows what they can do. Before buying my dogs, I was investigating for years, exchanged with emails, looked at the pictures and investigated what the parents did in field and what their brothers, sisters and ancestors did in field and how long did they live a healthy life. Once I decided, I made that final step. Prefer a puppy out of older dogs, if you have a choice. Most hereditary problems pop up at an older age. Parents of 6-9 years of age are a good choice to pick a puppy. Commercial breeders avoid breeding older dogs, because they know that genetic problems show up at an older age. This is how they are overlooking the problems and hide it from others. I have a background in biology and genetics. Nothing will exclude 100%to make a mistake, but it will better your chances. I knew very well about ancestors of Timur and Adel and about their owners, who were hunters and breeders. Other hunters knew of their dogs very well. About the price. I love my dogs and my puppies. They are like my babies and I want them to be happy in their new homes. This is impossible, if the new owner would be not happy with them. Therefore, I investigate every buyer, trying to find out how the puppy will live in the new home. I give away some to my good friends. Selling cheap is not a good idea, because some may think they got trash and would not treat the dog well. If the price is too high, you will repel some good hunters. This is the game you play. We pay for soft drinks 700 plus times its worth. Do not be afraid to pay an affordable price for a puppy you will keep during his lifetime, something lie 11-20 years. You will enjoy active life with your dog, instead of working on his ailing body with vets.
Below I post a picture of my puppies today. They grew up a lot; they are content, playful and fat; yes, on the bare plywood (what a cruelty!). This is what their mother decided. It is easier for her to clean the nest and the pups. It is dry and clean on the floor and the pups are clean and crispy. It does not even smell in the doghouse! Saluki is a clean dog, indeed. This is why some vets recommend no bedding at all. The pups already venture outside sometimes. They are very happy puppies. They hear rain outside, thunder sometimes, rooster's crowing and have fresh air day and night. Very soon they meet our free ranging chickens and goats. I am handling them several times every day and in August, I will start feeding them with raw beef and venison. This is what will make them well socialized; I feed them out of hands only.

Whatever the price, but I learned that some of the participants in this forum hate what I am posting and doing, no matter what, their mind is set up negatively. How about selling them for $200 each? I would outcompete you all! Therefore, my price of $700, is better then prices like $1000-3000 for a puppy out of show winners. Papers come ahead of the dog! I maintain that my dogs are among the best of their breed in USA and Canada. I can name a few breeders with excellent hounds, but they are rare and far between. May be I will buy a puppy from some of them. Good luck!

Last edited by ufimych; 07-18-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:19 AM
Top Dog

I'm sorry, but I just don't understand......... What you said just dosn't make any sense to me. Is it just me??
Old 07-20-2009, 09:50 AM
Top Dog

I dunno what you don't understand? It makes sense to me... except for the crispy puppies. Personally, I like chewy pups.

ufimych, can you tell us anything about the sire?

Nice looking puppies!
Old 07-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Top Dog

lol! crispy? chewy pups? I don't get it. (a blond here)! lol!!
Old 07-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufimych View Post
It is easier for her to clean the nest and the pups. It is dry and clean on the floor and the pups are clean and crispy.
I really didn't mean to drag it out, I just found it a little amusing that was all... I think "lively" might substitute.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Top Dog

I like ufimych's approach. Basic, natural. Some of you are acting like he's some puppy miller who doesn't care about what dogs he has and who breeds to who. I think it's the opposite- he's carefully selected his dogs based on the needs he has for them, allows them to develop into the breed they were originally, not inbred show dogs with half a dozen genetic problems that are ignored because of their beautiful coats and how they trot around the ring. He works his dogs, he feeds them well, he has a smart approach to vaccinations. I don't vaccinate my dogs every time the vet sends me a post card. I wouldn't even do rabies if it wasn't required. I'll do a blood titer yearly and if they are at adequate levels, then no shots.

I know several breeders who follow a similar approach. Dogs are outside year round, including pups. Pups are whelped in wooden sheds, old camper trailers, anywhere that there is adequate shelter. The dogs were bred for working ability. The only health testing they do is hips on the parents because the purchasers want to see history on that. They allow things with the pups to work out naturally. Weak ones die. The ones left are hard core dogs that get placed in law enforcement agencies all over north America.

There's a guy on another forum who breeds working Airedales. They live outside. They are almost feral. They don't like to be pet but are social with him. When they whelp he doesn't interfere and he doesn't handle the pups. They are some pretty hard hunters who take down wild boar/hogs.

Not everyone who buys a dog needs it to be acclimated to the vacuum cleaner and other household noises. Working dogs are not pet dogs. Look at how many livestock guard dogs and other farm type dogs are outside 24x7 year round. My brother has a Husky. He can't get her to come inside. He's tried. She'll whine, pace, scratch at the doors to go back out. She lives on his back porch and is a happy healthy dog.

Someone commented about temperature and how few people keep their house at a constant temp- ???? what is air conditioning and heating for? How many people have their house at 70 degrees and 30% humidity year round? A LOT!

Someone else made several comments that started along the lines of "I'm not familiar with this breed, but I would think....." Well- stop thinking! Let the people who are experts in their breeds make the decisions on what is best for their dogs. Don't base your opinion on how your particular breed of dog can or can't survive in similar circumstances.

It gets old when people impose their own criteria on other people who breed. I bet most of the people who are so against the op's breeding practices have never bred themselves, they only repeat the things they read and hear about what is supposed to be a good breeder. Well, I think that those who breed dogs for the show ring who ignore genetic defects because it's part of the breed (english bulldogs, pugs, ridgebacks, cavalier spaniels- all the other dogs who have a lot of issues yet are continually bred for how they look and not for long term health) are worse than someone like this person who is breeding for the betterment of the dogs.

One thing for sure- if I ever get into breeding, the last place I'll post about it is here! Too much scrutiny based on emotion and opinion.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:57 PM
facetious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufimych View Post
They hear rain outside, thunder sometimes, rooster's crowing and have fresh air day and night.
This reminds me of how often I see dogs who have high sensitivity to thunder.. and somehow this sentence just struck me as being particularly nice.

Regardless of practice and the various 'idiosyncrasies', it seems as though ufimych at least has a genuine concern for his dogs and their breed, and I think that's very important. It's one element, if not the element, that separates true breeders from the backyarders.

It's also interesting to observe how some people view fulfilment in life.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Big Dog

I choose not the best word for what I wanted to say. When puppies are mulnourished or ill, they are sluggish, you feel it by handling them, they do not respond quckly positively, or negatively. They are felt like they are somehwat limp. When everything is correct, the puppy feels firm in the had, or it is trying to free himself. This is "crispy", the animal responds and you feel its muscles in action. Some may even vocalize, if your handle them harshly.
Well, I can tell about the sire. He is Timur out of dogs of breeder in Sanct-Petersburg, Russia. She use her hounds on hare and fox. Russians value dogs capable to overpower a difficult game, which can bite and fight back. This is why they developed Borzoi, the wolfhound. He has a 4 generations pedigree issued from RKF. Now, he is registered with UKC.
Parents of my dogs are as healthy as my dogs are. I mean healthy not because they were taken for regular veterinary check ups. They are healthy, because they never needed a vet, except for a shipping certificate.
I had a pair Airedales in the past. They lived outside and I hunted them. Great dogs, except their coat, which required regular care. I used scissors in the summer. I have very good memories of them and like the breed. The female died, when she was 14 years old and the male died, when he was 11 years old. Those were AKC registered dogs.