Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 07-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
I'm glad that you found what appears to be the cause of the problems between Jack and Buddy. But you still have some major problems with this situation:

1. Jack is very young. Young puppies tend to get along with other dogs better than adolescent dogs, and if enemies are made during adolescence, they tend to last. Adult dogs are more tolerant of young puppies, but when Jack hits about 7-9 months old, he will be like a teenager - full of hormones, rebelleous, will "forget" ALL of the training and rules you have set up throughout his life. This is also the time when adult dogs stop tolerating puppies. So Jack will be difficult, and Buddy will stop putting up with it.
Lizzy, thanks for telling me that, coz I didn't know. I was assuming things would continue to improve as Jack got older. I knew when the hormones kick in he might want to roam, and I've been concerned he might dig out under the fence at that time.(We live on a busy highway). Truthfully, he already tends to be rebellious. He delights in doing things he's not supposed to do, then running away with a "nah nah nah-nah nah" attitude, just like a 2 yr old child. It's really cute and we all laugh, coz it's like he has this adorable sense of humor. But I know it will cease to be funny when he is full grown and disobeys.

Quote:
2. I'm assuming that your husband will be retiring within the next few years? Given their ages and breeds, Jack and Buddy should both be around for the next 10 years or more. If your husband plans to retire - and be home more - within that next 10 years.... AND if you're right in thinking that him being gone prevents the problems.... then you could have a problem somewhere down the line. I don't think that sending your husband to work every day for the rest of your dogs' lives is a permanant solution.

3. Jack is still a young puppy, and needs a lot of mental and physical stimulation, as well as socialization. You mentioned earlier that you cannot handle him, so I'm wondering if you will be able to handle giving him the stimulation and socialization that he needs.... And if not, if your husband will be able to.

Good luck.
Yes, I thought about these things after I posted last night.
And these are the things that cause me the greatest concern. We can handle things today and tomorrow, and probably even for a few years. But when looking down the road 5 years from now, 10 years from now, things get really scary and quite gloomy.

My husband is 60 yrs old, and his health is not too good.
His father and grandfathers all died by the ages of 66.
As it stands now, he is in need of a major surgery, possibly two major surgeries.

So to be quite honest, neither of us might live another 10 years.
And if our health fails, we might find ourselves having to rehome Jack when he is a 5 yr old. Something that might be almost impossible. I think Buddy would be easy to rehome, coz he's little and doesn't need a big backyard. And Tubby is already old, so I feel pretty positive we will outlive her, barring any catastrophies. But Jack, I worry about. I have seen situations where someone dies and their beloved dog gets taken to the pound.

I have already noticed, just the last couple of days, Jack is now almost stronger than me. While I'm sitting in a chair eating a snack, Jack jumps up into my lap, something he knows he's not supposed to do. I take my hand and try to push him away, and he's not budging. It's like I'm trying to push against a 200 lb. weight that's not moving one inch. So then I give it all my effort, saying "down Jack, down", and he finally gets down and behaves.

So yes, I still have some very serious concerns. I've always been the type to take things "one day at a time", and not look too far down the road. And I notice my post has a lot of "ifs, maybes and mights". So I find I am still at a crossroads. The easy thing is to keep Jack, and let tomorrow take care of tomorrow. But I can't help but think, that might not be the best thing for Jack. And might not be the best thing for me and my husband.

Thanks so much for your help Lizzy, it means a lot to me.
My husband doesn't really share my concerns, so I don't really have anyone to talk to about it. Just last night, I tried talking to him about it, and he said "Oh Jack is not going anywhere". It's because he knows I'm crazy about Jack, I love every inch of him. But he's not thinking down the road about it.

Last edited by snorzzz; 07-13-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorzzz View Post
I live in the SE part of Alabama, closest town is Dothan, Alabama.
Where are you? Thats like, 45 minutes from me!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 07-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorzzz View Post

And the lovely Tubby.
Okay seriously, this isn't creepy at all. This dog looks like one I've seen near a church yard.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 07-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Top Dog

Lizmo - are you stalking a new poster? That isn't nice, you know!

How weird would that be if it's the dog you've seen?

Old 07-13-2009, 08:48 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Lizmo - are you stalking a new poster? That isn't nice, you know!

How weird would that be if it's the dog you've seen?
Yes. It's secretly my addiction to stalk new posters. Except, this one has been a member since 2005.

Yeah, it's going to be way weird. Because that means they live less than 10 miles from me. . . .

l ~Jennifer~ l
Old 07-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post

Lizmo, hey! I live in a tiny little hamlet called Pinckard. About 10 miles NW of Dothan, and about 10 miles SE of Ozark. Out in the boonies.

Where are you??
Old 07-13-2009, 09:05 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Yes. It's secretly my addiction to stalk new posters. Except, this one has been a member since 2005.

Yeah, it's going to be way weird. Because that means they live less than 10 miles from me. . . .
LOL, yes, I've been a member for a while, not much of a poster tho, but I read here a lot.

Where do you live? Coz I think you are a neighbor!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Told ya so.

(post #13)

Old 07-13-2009, 09:25 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Told ya so.

(post #13)

Yup, I saw thats why I posted.

I'm still like 45 minutes from you! And your dog looks idendical to a dog here in town LOL

l ~Jennifer~ l
Old 07-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Okay seriously, this isn't creepy at all. This dog looks like one I've seen near a church yard.
LOL, well, we've had Tubby for over a year now, since March of '08.

As I write this, she is very contently chewing on miss piggy.
That's what we call her pig ear, miss piggy.