Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Well I just started looking into Standard Poodles, mainly I have just started looking for rescues around my area. I figure maybe I can volunteer at a rescue organization, maybe do a little fostering as well. That way I can really see first hand how this breed is and if I think I would be able to give it a good home. I'm going to start researching the breed soon, but I want to have atleast six months of research into the breed before even thinking about getting one. Although knowing my luck my husband will probably show up with one tomorrow. I was looking at black ones as well because I don't like the apricot coloring on the dogs and I do like white but for some reason the black ones just catch my eye.

Old 08-26-2005, 02:57 PM
Top Dog

What a neat idea Julie....to foster one first and see how you like it. Well, I wish you the best. I personally prefer the black too....don't know why....same with Dobes, striking. You know what I love about Poodles? Their action. They have the prettiest gaits...the way of moving, so light on their feet, absolutely gorgeous action.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:34 PM
Rusty but Trusty

ok probably jumping in WAY too fast for my liking on this but had to share. I found a breeder of standard poodles and I called to speak with her. She is only a six hour drive from us (yes I said only). I called to speak to her about the testing that the adults get and the parents and everything and told her that I was looking for a black female. She said she had one black female puppy and I said I didn't know if maybe she had an adult. I didn't care if it was a puppy or adult but I would prefer an adult. Well she said some people had just returned one of her dogs to her because they couldn't keep her any longer. She's a BLACK female and is 2 years old. She said she is housebroken and very laid back. She also said they put a lot of money into obedience training for her as well. They said they can hold her for a few weeks so I can think about it because usually everyone is calling for the puppies and that I was one of the first people she has ever had calling for an adult dog. I want to go see her before I make up my mind and I am going to start doing A LOT of research too. I wanted to have atleast 6 months of research under my belt before trying to go after one but I guess 6 minutes will do (LOL). No, I will make sure that I get in as much research as I can and meet the dog and then come home and do more research before I decide.

Old 08-26-2005, 09:31 PM
Whitedobelover

that is an awesome way to do it. because once you know you can say you know and you dont have to ask questions ... that is awesome... congrats.....i like the black also however i have a friend with a you and he was red... but he was so cute i wanted to take him home anyway congrats and you are a very smart person and that is awesome
Old 08-26-2005, 09:44 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I still have to convince my husband about her. I may just go look at her without saying anything then once I know I like her enough I will bring her up to him. Atleast she's not a puppy.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:43 PM
Ol'Dogger

I co-bred and showed standards years ago. I would BUY from a good well established kennel. Blacks diffinitely have better temperment than most whites. Not knocking whites but they can be a little strange tempered. I do not understand the barking part. No more than other big dogs. Now one must understand this is a large working dog with a poodle coat. Yes they do have attributes of the smaller poodles but they are not pussy cats.They are just like any other large breed and need to be trained and worked with. They are happy and outgoing and can be quite boisterious. They make excellent "watchdogs" and they WILL back up what they bark. Quite expensive to groom but if kept in a working clip(shaved short all over) they can usually go 8 weeks between groomings. They are wonderful dogs but do buy from a reputable breeder and if the parents are not good natured forget the pups. You have not had such trouble as till you get one of these guys with a messed up temperment.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Do these sound like good temperment for the parents to have? The mother is a little older than the father (mother is 5 father is 4) they have had all health tests I'm just not sure because she says the father has a tendency to nip butts.

The temperments: Mom is a runway model. She wants to be pampered and under foot. She is the alpha female in our world for sure but she is very outgoing and friendly to visitors and strangers. Not a good watchdog! lol
Dad is the court jester. Always friendly always playing. He has a nasty habit of nipping at a persons butt. Not out of agression, he wants to play. It feels like a pinch, I call it tough lovins. He is always clowning around. He is very active. He has to be wore down and played with before he can sit still. Once he gets enough energy out he loves to be loved on.

Old 08-27-2005, 04:05 PM
Top Dog

Sounds like good temperaments Julie. The butt nipping is only a matter of training...allowing that behavior. I wouldn't really go for it, but that's not temperament. Being outgoing and friendly, not shy, stable...always the same, level headed...that sort of thing. Whether you decide on a pup or the adult, I'd be sure to be able to make several visits and spend ample time with the dog to get a good feel for it.

What's the longeveity of the dogs in the lines here? What age did a lot of them die at and of what? Make sure to see proof on health tests done...any show titles? Ask about the diseases that Poodles tend toward and how much of these things are in their lines....etc.

It sounds exciting. If you think this is the breed for you and you can keep up with the demands, go for it. But be sure you know how much involvement and exercise a dog that that will need. The do need to "work."

My sister had one and she said what a ding bat the dog was and how she couldn't do anything. Well, my sister doesn't know how to handle a dog and she finally gave it to someone who had the space and gave it the exercise and something to do, and that dog turned out wonderfully. Some dogs just take more work than others. And I think probably a Standard Poodle is one of those. It's like a Doberman....not a breed for everyone or anyone. They take some extra work.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:42 PM
Rusty but Trusty

she told me that none of her dogs were ever show dogs, she never got into showing. I'll ask about the diseases and what the poodles lived to and if they had any diseases. I am very anxious to work with a poodle. The adult the woman has is already very obedient and has been through costly obedience classes. She has puppies available but I would rather not go with a puppy if I didn't have to. The temperment for the adults that I mentioned above were for the adult poodle's parents I am looking into.

Old 08-28-2005, 07:06 AM
Top Dog

That sounds great... Keep us posted.