Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-25-2005, 09:45 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Default Standard poodles

Ok, I have been thinking about other dogs and maybe adopting an adult from a rescue or something. I probably won't adopt for ATLEAST 2 years though, not until my two are out of their puppy stage. Does anyone know the pros and cons of this breed? I was just curious because I hear that they are really intelligent and I think they are so beautiful. I really want a standard though because I like big dogs more than I like little ones (I'm not bashing toy or minuatures).

Old 08-25-2005, 10:21 PM
Top Dog

My neighbor thats a groomer had one at her house last weekend! It barked a lot! But i liked its cut the only other two I knew were nutty. One got put to sleep for biting everything in site and the other had to be rehomed to an older lady with no kids or other pets.

That may sound bad but I'm sure there are nicer ones around. I've never had good experiences with them though.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 08-25-2005, 10:28 PM
Twin 2.0

Just in *my* experience:

Pros: Virtually no shedding (they do shed but it's trapped in the curly coat), easy to train, playful
Cons: If not properly socialized, they can become very neurotic and nippy; possibly the cost of grooming, incessant barking. But that's a risk you run with every dog.

I will say that I've met enough 'good' standard poodles to consider owning one myself.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:59 PM
Top Dog

I met three of them last month. they were great!! Two whites and one black. They were 3-4 years old. Very playful. One of them was a bit nippy though. The ownr just said 'no' and he stopped. Gorgeous things. Goodluck Julie
Old 08-26-2005, 01:09 AM
Rusty but Trusty

Thanks! I won't even consider adopting for atleast two years until the pups have grown and then we only want an adult. We want to go through a rescue (well atleast I do). My husband wants to go to a breeder and buy a puppy and swear he'll take care of it then leave it all to me. I saw a few standards at a rescue near here and almost considered sending in an application. Except most have the requirement about fenced in yards and we don't have one. Plus our house is really small and we already have 2 dogs so they would probably frown on that. Once we move maybe I'll look into the rescues more but for right now just researching.

Old 08-26-2005, 02:00 AM
Top Dog

Juliefurry....Standard Poodles are awesome! Very intellegent and loaded with personality. Through my experiences with them, I would have to say that I like the black ones the best. The few white ones I've known were either slightly weird to extremely weird. I've only known one apricot one and she was a bit neurotic.
Yes, some can be biters, though and they can be stubborn. They are also at risk for bloat. High maintainance too with the grooming factor.
Other than that, I just love 'em.

Pam
Old 08-26-2005, 02:05 AM
Top Dog

I know very little of the breed, but I feel I should add, don't judge a dog necessarily on what breed tempermant is "said" to be. There are always exceptions to the rules.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:12 AM
Top Dog

My Sister owned a Standard Poodle years ago, a black. She was a wonderful sweet mild mannered dog. She obtained all her obedience titles very quickly and was an eager willing student. The downfall is, there are wonderful laid back Standard's and then you can get genetically screwed up Standards...just like any purebred which has been overbred and suffers from a small gene pool. My Sister being a groomer has many Standards for Customer's, we have found...not that this is official or anything the apriocots all seem very hyper and seem to be suffering from more genetically unstable mentalities than the blacks or whites...just a personal observation and by no means does this mean that the apricots are less stable due to our simple observations
I have seen such a range from wonderful self controlled Standards being very laid back...to some very hyper, whacked out Standard Poodles...and it's not the fault of the owner at all..far from it.
Our Poodle did suffer from bloat, she was also predisposed to poor tooth enamel which is common in this breed. She had kidney problems latter in life and suffered kidney failure at the age of 10...and yes she was on a great diet with plenty of water and some home prepared raw meals. They also can be genetically predisosed to bone cancer, a friend of mine just lost her wacky apricot poodle to bone cancer at the age of 6.
Do your research of all the possible genetic problems in this breed...I also know of a person who spent big bucks on her Standard due to surpressed immune system. The poor thing had to undergo a major blood tranfusion, could not be taken in public which it "may" come in contact with any disease. When the dog came into the vet clinic daily it had to be carried in as it was not allowed to walk on the outside ground and be attened to daily for about 1 year before the dog got better.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:27 AM
no touchy

Oh I absolutely love standard poodles!!
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:42 AM
Top Dog

I love them too. As with any breed, it mostly depends on how it's handled and the knowledge of the owner. They can be wonderful dogs and so intelligent and quick to learn. I was considering getting a Standard and looked into them when I was thinking Doberman. The Doberman won. LOL.