Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-14-2009, 09:36 AM
Big Dog

Default Primitive aboriginal dog breeds

If some are interested in those breeds, there are some articles here:
Journal of the Inuit Sled Dog International

Their major interest is in the Inuit Sleddog, but some other breeds are discussed there as well. Besides, we have PADS (Primitive Aboriginal Dog Society) based in Russia and USA. We publish quarterly Newsletter with original articles about different aboriginal dogs of he world. You may join us, or just ask for some sample issues, which you may enjoy reading. E-mail me in private.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:56 AM
ACoops favorite

I have heard that sled dogs are very primitive as far as dogs go. I'd be interested to see what everyone else says.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Twin 2.0

Interesting article. It is interesting how some breeds are capable of easily reverting to a feral state and caring for themselves, whereas others die off quite quickly.

I remember this one episode of Animal Cops, a chow mix had been dumped on a small island and appeared to be surviving fairly well. The officers captured the dog and when the dog refused to tame, they euth'd it. Given as the island was a small uninhabited one, I don't see why they couldn't have just let the dog in peace.

I do like how at the bottom they refer to a 90-acre farm as "small" LOL!
Old 07-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Big Dog

Sled dogs are quite specialized to pull sleds and live in a close contact and cooperation with people. They come in heat tow times per year. Most primitive are Dingo and Dingo-like dogs of Australasia. Most of aboriginal dogs can survive feral for some time, or even permanently, of big predators are absent and climate is not too harsh, especially in the south.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:06 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufimych View Post
Sled dogs are quite specialized to pull sleds and live in a close contact and cooperation with people. They come in heat tow times per year. Most primitive are Dingo and Dingo-like dogs of Australasia. Most of aboriginal dogs can survive feral for some time, or even permanently, of big predators are absent and climate is not too harsh, especially in the south.
Don't forget the carolina dogs, native to where you're living.