Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Agility and Dog Sports

Old 07-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

I agree with everyone who agreed that one should goto a beginners agility class first. Not only do you learn about safe handling, but you also have people to help getting dogs used to equipment (try teaching tunnel by yourself. LOL)
Old 07-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Top Dog

I took a class with a very poor instructer. Not only did a pay 40 dollars for the class but I wasn't taught anything. I did teach my dog to tunnel on my own. I also taught him the dog walk the ramp and tire jump with NO help from the instructer.

People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Top Dog

Finding a good class and instructor is of the utmost importance. I love my agility instructor and she teaches in a way that makes sense to me. She was the only positive based, foundations trainer I knew of at the time. Despite finding more in my state now (MN), I wouldn't trade her for the world.

I don't know where you are in Northern MN, DaVinci, but I could probably help you find a worthwhile trainer.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 07-24-2009, 05:01 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

I would definately go to classes. It is so much easier to learn from scratch then it is to unlearn bad habits.
I have learned SO much from my classes and the bonus is that I have a little something for myself I can do twice a week.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 08-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Big Dog

this is some really good advice. i wanted to get Harley started in agility but wasn't really sure if we should take a class or not. i think that we will as soon as i can save up the money!
Old 08-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

$40 is dirt cheap for agility classes so I'm not surprised the instructor was no good. More often than not, you get what you pay for.

I absolutely would recommend a class or two. There are a lot of great books and DVD series out there, but I would never recommend them in lieu of actual instruction with a teacher. BODY LANGUAGE is a big part of the agility handling bond between you and your dog, and having somebody else there to watch you and your dog is absolutely invaluable. I have set up a video camera before and watched myself back on video, searching for what the problem is, and I can't see it... but when I go out and work in front of our agility instructor she sees it right off the bat.
MAKE SURE YOUR TEACHER COMPETES AND HAS TITLED A DOG IN AGILITY. There is a place here where the teachers don't compete, and if they do they have never titled a dog. Watching their students run is like watching amateur hour at the comedy club. It's TERRIBLE. And honestly, if they can't or don't do it themselves, how can you really expect them to properly equip you for it? Even if you don't want to compete yourself, that is how you will be able to quickly eliminate a lot of options as far as quality of instructor goes: they won't be competing or they've never competed.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Top Dog

Well my instructure has competed...alot and he has two titled dogs. I do not think 40 dollers is cheap. I have to drive 40 miles one way for the 1hr long class. Plus I have to be a member of the club and pay dues and I'm expected to help set-up and take down equipement.

All I know is that I did really good at the open shows and I taught myself most of it.

People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.