Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 07-03-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm All Ears

Default For those of you with larger caged mammals....

(Particularly Chins) I'm having a hard time keeping up with Scout's cage. I mean I do the cage cleanings like you should it's just with her dust (and she pees on everything) it's getting gradually nastier. We've had her 6 years and even though I spray out the cage several times a year and clean out the cage weekly, it is building up dirt that I can't seem to get off no matter how I scrub.

Any tips on chinchilla safe cleaning?
Old 07-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Resident fainting goat

Well, clorox anywhere spray is gentle around pets! I used to use it to clean my hamster cages, and they are significantly smaller. I also used a mixture of vinegar, water and a touch of bleach!

Maybe try putting newspaper at the bottom of her cage, or hay? it would help for an easier cleanup

Maybe try using the ferret nation for her? they are a breeze to clean because of the BIG all the way open doors, the doors are the size of the cage, so no squeezing to clean a hard to reach place

and if she needs more space to stretch her little legs

they have a 2 story model
Old 07-03-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
Well, clorox anywhere spray is gentle around pets! I used to use it to clean my hamster cages, and they are significantly smaller. I also used a mixture of vinegar, water and a touch of bleach!

Maybe try putting newspaper at the bottom of her cage, or hay? it would help for an easier cleanup

Maybe try using the ferret nation for her? they are a breeze to clean because of the BIG all the way open doors, the doors are the size of the cage, so no squeezing to clean a hard to reach place

and if she needs more space to stretch her little legs

they have a 2 story model
Yeah, the bottom has bedding and newspaper under that. Those doors would be REALLY nice. Hers just has two small hatch doors so I can't even reach her favorite 'bathroom' areas. The two story model is about the same size as her current cage. I am seriously thinking about buying a new cage and going from there. This one is a pain to clean.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Top Dog

I love my Ferret Nation cage. So much easier to clean than the SuperPet cages I used to use. For a cage cleaner I always use Nature's Miracle. Do chinchilla's use litter boxes?
Old 07-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Top Dog

I LOVE the Ferret Nation cage. When I had ferrets, everything else was so hard to clean but that cage is so easy to clean
Old 07-03-2009, 10:51 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labyrinth View Post
I love my Ferret Nation cage. So much easier to clean than the SuperPet cages I used to use. For a cage cleaner I always use Nature's Miracle. Do chinchilla's use litter boxes?
Some do, but she does not. I've read it's possible for some chinchillas to train them to use one and then some never learn. I didn't teach her when she was young.

Her cage is really similar to the one on the left in this picture:

http://www.freewebs.com/sinfulchins/...cage%20pic.JPG

The doors are about the same size, but her cage has two and a half full stories then some perches. It's not a Superpet, it was made by some local guy who makes cages for a living. Those doors make it hard for people with small arms like me to clean everything. Hers only has one small hatch door on the bottom and one on the top.

ETA: I should mention this is her second cage and she's been in it about 2 years. The other we still have. It's the same build but about 4 inches taller and I don't think it's built as well. BUT it does have two doors on the bottom and then one on the top.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Top Dog

For easy clean up, I've use a 30 gallon garbage bag as a liner for the dropping pan of my rabbit cage (with a layer of newspaper in it and a little litter or aspen shavings). I actually slide the pan into the bag. Un-diluted white vinegar cleans up dried rabbit urine, I'd assume it would do the same for a chin. The newest item to my cleaning arsenal is the Nature's Miracle cage wipes.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
For easy clean up, I've use a 30 gallon garbage bag as a liner for the dropping pan of my rabbit cage (with a layer of newspaper in it and a little litter or aspen shavings). I actually slide the pan into the bag. Un-diluted white vinegar cleans up dried rabbit urine, I'd assume it would do the same for a chin. The newest item to my cleaning arsenal is the Nature's Miracle cage wipes.
Do they not chew it? I am having a hard time imagining how I'd put a bag around the bottom tray of her cage without her being able to get to it and eat it. She likes to eat anything/everything.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
Oh, yes, I always used vinegar to clean cages. Well, I use it for most cleaning around the house, too
Old 07-03-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam111 View Post
Oh, yes, I always used vinegar to clean cages. Well, I use it for most cleaning around the house, too
The vinegar is a very good idea.