Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-13-2006, 06:18 PM
Quigleyfied

Quote:
the behaviour of dogs is in many aspects still very similar to the behaviour of wolves. wolf and dog characteristics DO have something to do with each other, after all they share the same anchasters and are even able to mate!!
Similar, but not the same. The main difference in breeding is that the alpha bitch in a pack only comes into season once a year (as opposed to twice a year in the average dosmestic dog) and only if circumstances are good enough to actually support a litter.

I don't have the time to get into this in much more detail right now, but if you are interested in dogs, educate yourself about them and the differences between the two species.

A horse and a donkey are similar enough to interbreed too, but that doesn't mean you can lump them together in any other respect as well.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 03-13-2006, 10:31 PM
lovemypup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordy
if you are interested in dogs, educate yourself about them and the differences between the two species.

A horse and a donkey are similar enough to interbreed too, but that doesn't mean you can lump them together in any other respect as well.
just because somebody wrote a book about it doesnt necessarily mean they are right.

the cross between a horse and a donkey isnt fertile. it cant reproduce. therefor it is not a good comparison. crosses between horses and donkeys is a very different topic.

a cross between a wolf and a dog is fertile. wolves and dogs are very close and show similar behaviour patterns.
a wolf is a wolf and a dog is a dog. i am not lumping them together in just any other aspect. my argumentation is based on articles that i've red, written by biologists who studdied wolf and dog behaviour.

like i said earlier. just because its written in a book or article doesnt necessarily mean it is true but i find it to make a lot of sense to me.....

and thanks for recommending the book. i will look into it. i always wanna read as many different point of views as possible. i am not much into reading only one book and buying everything they say (not saying that you do!). so thanks but so far i still think i am right

Last edited by soft pawz; 03-13-2006 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:05 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by soft pawz
just because somebody wrote a book about it doesnt necessarily mean they are right.

the cross between a horse and a donkey isnt fertile. it cant reproduce. therefor it is not a good comparison. crosses between horses and donkeys is a very different topic.

a cross between a wolf and a dog is fertile. wolves and dogs are very close and show similar behaviour patterns.
a wolf is a wolf and a dog is a dog. i am not lumping them together in just any other aspect. my argumentation is based on articles that i've red, written by biologists who studdied wolf and dog behaviour.

like i said earlier. just because its written in a book or article doesnt necessarily mean it is true but i find it to make a lot of sense to me.....

and thanks for recommending the book. i will look into it. i always wanna read as many different point of views as possible. i am not much into reading only one book and buying everything they say (not saying that you do!). so thanks but so far i still think i am right
Mordy... Soft pawz... thanks for a good debate! Now we're talking!
Old 03-14-2006, 12:09 AM
Twin 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by soft pawz
Actually, this isn't 100% correct. It's extremly rare, but there are fertile mules out there. It's not as accurate a cross as wolf/dog, which is fertile just about 100% of the time; I just had to point that out.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Designated Ball Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetsDad
... thinks about getting his testicles chopped off???

It may be convenient, and with its benefits, but it's still mutilation. Don't fool yourselves.

I don't like tail or ear docking or any ridiculous cosmetic procedures. Spaying and neutering is essentially the same. We are mutilating the dogs to compensate for failings of humans.
IMO it it's not the same because when they reproduce often the whole litter suffers. They don't always get homes. And if they do, they may not be good ones. what happens if they don't get the health care they need?
Then they may suffer heartworm, parvo- etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetsDad
According to your logic, there would be nothing wrong with amputating a dog's legs for fun because they would soon get over it. Whether or not there is any "projecting" going on is irrelevant.

If people want to fix their dogs, fine. Mine are fixed also. But it is insane to flame people who don't share the same viewpoint, because frankly, they have some very good arguments. Dogs enjoy sex like people do, this is not projecting human emotions onto animals. Anyone who denies this just doesn't pay attention to their dogs. We are taking that away, health benefits or not.

Now I don't think most of us amputate for fun. But when a dog has to have a limb amputated he/she learns to adjust right away. Unlike us humans. There is no anger, no resentment. So when they get fixed to them it is no big deal. Also dogs have the intelligence of a 3 yr old. Do you really think they would be mad if they can't have sex anymore? Most don't understand they have been "cut off" from that ability. Some even continue to try and breed.

Think about all of the suffering that you are preventing! There are way too many unwanted litters in the world as it is. There is NO way of denying that...

My two pups just got spayed and neutered. I was squeemish too. I felt awful. Especially about the pain I put them through. But the truth of it is I know I did the right thing, and I don't want to see my dogs die of cancer or get an std(Yes dogs can get them too) or contribute to the ever burgeoning dog population.

Plus, I want them with me as long as possible. You may feel it is a catch 22 and that's ok. Everyone is entitiled to their own opinion. But this is just mine. Thanks for listening.

Popcorn:http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=320230

Pepper- http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=320235

Reilly-RIP
12/3/95-5/15/05
http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=320483

I Have Been Befriended!

I've Been Frosted! My Turn to Pick a Victim!MUHAHA!

Everyone Thinks Their dog is the Greatest... Because They Are!!!
Old 06-12-2006, 03:44 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Ok here's my two cents.

When I first got Emma I wanted to breed her. I didnt know any better. So she when through her first heat and I was going to breed her her next heat. Well I learned something and had a real eye opener and changed my mind. Emma then got ear infections and alergies wich drained the finances. So I put it off and she whent into heat again. I was going to spay her after but we were training so I thought I would put it off untill a brake in the courses. Well now Emma is going through a false pregnancy. She is very uncomforetable because she is lactating. I have to watch her 24/7 to make sure she doesn get Mastitis. Wich can be LIFE THRETENING!!. She will be spayed as soon as this is over.

This is all because I didnt spay her. Not to mention she could now develope cancer because of the hormones.

Name with males. They can get cancer from their hormones as well.

If your dog gets out and goes into someone elses yard and gets a female preg. YOU are liable for all expeses incured do to said pregnancy. From checkups to Emger surgery if needed. Not to metion a law suit if the dog happens to be a show dog and you ruined it's career

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 06-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Puppy Dog

Mine are neutered, all the cats and dogs of which I have 6 in total... I appreciate the sentiment. I volunteer at the local SPCA and see soooo many dogs that will prob never be adopted because we keep putting more out there.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:20 AM
Active Pup

I just thought I would put my 2 cents in. First let me say that I will be getting Nahnuk neutered asap. For health reasons only. I don't beleive for a second that any of us here getting our dogs neutered or spayed is going to stop the pet population problem because most of us here are responsible owners and if there was an accident we would be sure the puppies were taken care of and went to good homes. Simpley put we are not the problem. The problem is people like the ones who live down the block from me. At least four times a week I will find their female pitbull wandering around the block and I will take her back to her house, put her back inside the fence and make sure she has water. I have lived here almost four years and she has had 5 litters. None of them planned. These people and ones like them are the problem. And no matter how much you try to explain to them why they should have their dog spayed or neuterd they don't care. If they were going to listen there wouldn't be a problem in the first place. Because as we all know Bob Barker has been telling us to have our pets spayed or neutered since I was a kid. And everyone has seen The Price Is Right. The problem is that most people just don't care.

As for any responsible owner who chooses not to get their pet spayed or neutered. I believe that is a decission every owner has to make for themselves. I choose to do it because Nahnuk can't decide for himself. And I am sure that if he could he would choose not to get cancer.

This is just my opinion and isn't ment to hurt anyones feelings or make anyone mad. I think we all need to try a little harder to understand that our opinions a just that. They may be based on hard facts and statistics, but nothing is black and white.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Purdue#1

Question got a little question

I read in "please neuter" at the top of the forum that getting a dog neutered will not stop a male's barking. Is it true?

i was going to compete with my dog, and if he could prove himself and was clear of all the tests(eyes, hips, etc.), then i might breed him.

I don't think he will make it to a year old without being neutered. My parents and i all said that if he starts mounting people he will get his boys taken away , but you know we can always threaten him(" remember what happened to the cats that day they stayed at the vet's for a night and they walked bowlegged for a week.") HeHe.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Purdue#1

oops, never mind.