Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 05-26-2013, 12:56 AM
Top Dog

I would need know what that clinic charges for a neuter as well. A spay here starts at $650, neuter starts at $500, but everything here is crazy.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffiangirl View Post
I would need know what that clinic charges for a neuter as well. A spay here starts at $650, neuter starts at $500, but everything here is crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
That's $428. That's less than it costs at my clinic for a traditional neuter.

I had Romeo neutered by my vet (a regular veterinary office, not 'lost-cost' or a clinic), I still have the bill somewhere, I think it was $170 including a microchip. So, $140 or so for a 50# neuter.

Things are a little more expensive up here but I know for a 90lb Collie spay the pricey vet quoted around $350-400.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:56 AM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Yeah I about floored when someone said $400 for a spay/neuter. There are some vets who are that pricy but around here the country vet will do a neuter for about $150 & a spay for about $250. There are also many low cost clinics that charge based on income & will even do it for free in some cases

Old 05-26-2013, 08:59 AM
Active Pup

I've been doing some research in preparation for the dog I'm hoping to get within the next year or two, and after all the weighing of pros and cons, I've decided that if I can just find a vet that does the procedure, I would get a tubal ligation done on my dog.

The idea that one should remove organs that provide numerous benefits to the body aside from size, just because one could maybe get cancer there one day has never sat well with me. With humans, women don't usually get hysterectomies in fear of cancer. In fact, I've read some studies that link cancer and disrupted hormone production as a result of such procedures.

From all the studies and articles I've been reading, it seems that while a traditional spay/neuter eliminates the possibility of certain diseases such as testicular and ovarian cancer, it actually increases the risk of other cancers such as bone cancer, and other ailments which have a far higher incidence rate.

Anyone know of any vets that preform the procedure? The internet has failed me in this search- has only brought up a handful of dog/cat related articles and then the rest were all pertaining to humans. In "Pukka's Promise" by Ted Kerasote, the author reported that most vets don't learn the procedure because they aren't usually taught it in school.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:10 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziva View Post
I've been doing some research in preparation for the dog I'm hoping to get within the next year or two, and after all the weighing of pros and cons, I've decided that if I can just find a vet that does the procedure, I would get a tubal ligation done on my dog.

The idea that one should remove organs that provide numerous benefits to the body aside from size, just because one could maybe get cancer there one day has never sat well with me. With humans, women don't usually get hysterectomies in fear of cancer. In fact, I've read some studies that link cancer and disrupted hormone production as a result of such procedures.

From all the studies and articles I've been reading, it seems that while a traditional spay/neuter eliminates the possibility of certain diseases such as testicular and ovarian cancer, it actually increases the risk of other cancers such as bone cancer, and other ailments which have a far higher incidence rate.

Anyone know of any vets that preform the procedure? The internet has failed me in this search- has only brought up a handful of dog/cat related articles and then the rest were all pertaining to humans. In "Pukka's Promise" by Ted Kerasote, the author reported that most vets don't learn the procedure because they aren't usually taught it in school.
You may want to consider an OSS instead of a tubal, though of course it's up to you. The ovary-sparing spay preserves hormone function and heat cycles, but the dog is sterile and also can't get pyometra. I ultimately decided against the tubal because of the risk of pyometra.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
You may want to consider an OSS instead of a tubal, though of course it's up to you. The ovary-sparing spay preserves hormone function and heat cycles, but the dog is sterile and also can't get pyometra. I ultimately decided against the tubal because of the risk of pyometra.
I considered it, and maybe I have to do some more reading on the matter, but on my part I didn't find much information on how prevalent pyometra really is in un-neutered dogs. I found a lot of anecdotal stuff, but other than that.... I'm also still trying to figure out if there is any documentation on whether or not the removal of just the uterus could have an adverse effect on a dog's health.

It's so great that you had a vet who was willing to discuss the procedure with you! None of the vets in my area would even hold the conversation with me about it.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post

I had Romeo neutered by my vet (a regular veterinary office, not 'lost-cost' or a clinic), I still have the bill somewhere, I think it was $170 including a microchip. So, $140 or so for a 50# neuter.

Things are a little more expensive up here but I know for a 90lb Collie spay the pricey vet quoted around $350-400.
Oh that's the price at the cheaper clinics, the one clinic quoted me $650 to neuter Gage...4 years ago!
But where I live a single family dwelling (average house) is about $750,000 http://www.woodbuffalo.net/linksFACTSHome.html
That tells a bit about where I live, except the massive half ton dully part, cause you don't buy those off the lot, lol, you have to build them.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/03...n_1321666.html
Old 05-26-2013, 06:47 PM
Jelly baby?

Some vets here will do neuters for under $200, but there's no blood work, no monitoring, injectable anesthetics instead of gas (so no intubation), no IV fluids, and often no pre-operative, intra-operative, or post-operative pain meds.

Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor
Old 05-26-2013, 11:40 PM
Obey the Toad.

I honestly don't remember what Jacks neuter cost, but then that was 5 years ago.

What are thoughts on the age to spay females? Should you wait for at least one heat?

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:50 PM
Behavior Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziva View Post
I considered it, and maybe I have to do some more reading on the matter, but on my part I didn't find much information on how prevalent pyometra really is in un-neutered dogs. I found a lot of anecdotal stuff, but other than that.... I'm also still trying to figure out if there is any documentation on whether or not the removal of just the uterus could have an adverse effect on a dog's health.

It's so great that you had a vet who was willing to discuss the procedure with you! None of the vets in my area would even hold the conversation with me about it.
I'm using a repro vet for my girl's OSS. The studies I've read indicate that 25% of females will end up with pyo by 10yo and because closed pyo can be so subtle until it's almost too late, that's not something I'd want to risk. In some breeds the study I read indicated up to 40% of females would have pyo by 10yo.

On the topic of price, the repro vet I'm using charges $350 for a traditional spay with human grade anesthesia, full monitoring, etc. and $400 for an OSS with the same anesthesia, monitoring, etc. My regular vet would charge about $200 for the traditional spay, typical gas anesthesia, limited monitoring, etc. Low cost clinics here charge $75 iirc.