Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 05-01-2013, 06:54 AM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Don't you still have the risk of pyo with a tubal ligation? I was under the impression that was why the OSS existed.
Yes, it does. That's why I, personally, will do OSS rather than TL or traditional spay if I can find a vet who will do it, since mine (surprisingly, because I've been using him for 20 years and he's always been seemingly reasonable and open to new information) seems to be under the mistaken impression that OSS will either increase the risk of stump pyometra - not true if the procedure is done correctly - or otherwise create a gaping hole into the body cavity through the cervix for bacteria to invade...also completely ridiculous and I'm dumbfounded by that assertion.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
Yes, it does. That's why I, personally, will do OSS rather than TL
Yeah, this is why I chose an OSS instead of tubal for Blossom, I figured if they were going in, might as well eliminate the risk of pyo. I don't really see the advantage to a tubal, personally. The vet I went to offers them, but I didn't want to end up having to do a second surgery if she developed pyo at an advanced age, or something.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Top Dog

So quick question if you're opting for an OSS as opposed to a traditional spay. Theoretically, the age at which you have it done won't really matter, will it? I'm just curious.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:33 AM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

I am of the "old school" so to speak, I will always opt for traditional spay because its cheaper (at least here) & more readily available then TL or OOS

Old 05-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Top Dog

In case it wasn't clear, the whole "age wouldn't matter" question also applies to vasectomies.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Top Dog

Straw - I haven't research that particular aspect of it, but in theory, no, age wouldn't matter. The only thing I can think of that might make it matter would be size. Stuff has to be big enough to see what you're doing.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Top Dog

That's what I figured. So if you were sending in, say, a 12 week old pup that needed surgery for xyz, you could have them vasectomized or hysterectomized at the same time and not have to worry about losing those hormones, or exposing them to anesthesia again later down the line. Interesting idea, and it's something I would definitely look into for a future puppy.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:36 AM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

But ... I don't understand if you don't want the dog to breed why not just spay/neuter?

Old 05-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
But ... I don't understand if you don't want the dog to breed why not just spay/neuter?
Because some people want to do what's best for their dog, not just what's cheapest.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-21-2013, 12:01 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
There are a whole host of health risks associated with cutting off hormone production (especially in young dogs) that some people just aren't comfortable with. In addition, I myself do not like the changes in coat and body condition that I see in traditionally altered animals, either. I prefer intact animals in appearance, behavior, and health.