Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 06-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Top Dog

Default Fish oil help...

I just took Oakley to the vet & it looks like he is having some allergies. She prescribed him some meds & after he is done with those, he is going to have to take benadryl every day til september.

Anyways, she also said his skin was dry & that I should give him fish oil...

I know for humans there is all kinds of debate going on as to EPA/DHA ratios/dosage/quality, etc...

so what is it for dogs? Has anyone done some research & found what some top-quality products are?

I tried searching, but the stupid search on here won't search for a phrase...blah.

Thanks Jessie!

Old 06-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Living on Doberman Drive

I use fish oil human grade from the health food store. We take them together every morning
Old 06-27-2009, 04:46 AM
Taxiderpy

We use the human grade capsules too. "Origin" brand at Target is very good. They purify the oil so there are no environmental toxins, like mercury, in it.

Costco has an even better deal on the same kind of purified fish oil, if you have access to someone with a card. It's just the normal Kirkland brand fish oil capsules for people. That's what we use and the dogs (and us!) do great on it.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
We use the human grade capsules too. "Origin" brand at Target is very good. They purify the oil so there are no environmental toxins, like mercury, in it.

Costco has an even better deal on the same kind of purified fish oil, if you have access to someone with a card. It's just the normal Kirkland brand fish oil capsules for people. That's what we use and the dogs (and us!) do great on it.
yeah, i was thinking of that...cause i just remembered my mom takes those. And i do have a costco membership!

whats the dose though?? Oakley is 39 lbs

Thanks Jessie!

Old 06-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Not a lurker

I give the 1000 mg human Fish oil tablets to both of my dogs, regardless of weight...
One of mine is 50 lbs, the other is 70+ (I'll weigh her today actually) - I don't think it's something you can overdose on.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:54 PM
F150 and a .30-06

I give 1 Costco brand cod liver oil tablet 2X a day with her food

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 06-29-2009, 12:52 AM
Herd. Protect. Love.

The therapeutic dose for a medium sized dog is 1100 mg of EPA+DHA. That's makes a HUGE difference between brands and products if you look at the serving size and then add up the EPA and DHA.

You can have two different products that you are looking at. One is 1000 mg of fish oil per capsule, which provides 370 mg of EPA and 200 of DHA. The other has 1000 mg of fish oil also, but only provides 100 mg of EPA and 25 of DHA!!!

Do the math to figure out how many capsules you'd need to give your dog of the second choice. :P

I like Sea Pet Gold liquid - most bang for the buck I believe. It's spendy but it will last and last - you only need 1/4 tsp to provide about 1300 mg of EPA+DHA. I'm not even sure how many doses are in the small bottle - ninety maybe?

I like Nordic Naturals for smaller dogs. They have a product - Ultimate for kids - that is 500 mg capsules that are strawberry flavored. My dogs are weirdos and don't like the taste of fish oil. So these are perfect for her royal highness Zhi, who thinks it's a treat, and the puppy, who is over the moon over these.

Zhi is 8 pounds and just gets one. The pup gets two a day, plus a dab of the Sea Pet too.

I'm pretty serious about fish oil for puppies. Their wee brains need DHA and fresh fish oil is the best way to get as much as they need short of feeding them fresh fish every day.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:14 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by irenafarm View Post

I like Nordic Naturals for smaller dogs. They have a product - Ultimate for kids - that is 500 mg capsules that are strawberry flavored. My dogs are weirdos and don't like the taste of fish oil. So these are perfect for her royal highness Zhi, who thinks it's a treat, and the puppy, who is over the moon over these.

Zhi is 8 pounds and just gets one. The pup gets two a day, plus a dab of the Sea Pet too.
That Nordic Naturals,, where do you buy it? I've been buying fish oil capsules and poking a hole in them and adding to their breakfast, but it really makes them smell bad. I was wondering if the strawberry flavored ones don't smell as bad?
Old 07-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Twin 2.0

I've heard very good things about Grizzly Salmon oil...you can find them online. Cold water fish BODY oil is what you're after, as well.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 07-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACampbell0304 View Post
I give the 1000 mg human Fish oil tablets to both of my dogs, regardless of weight...
One of mine is 50 lbs, the other is 70+ (I'll weigh her today actually) - I don't think it's something you can overdose on.
Fish oil will make their coats look beautiful, Alaskan salman oil is good. But with any oil, there is a slight overdose reaction- real runny poop if they get to much. I use the salmon oil and have learned to use about a teaspoon in their food and then stir it around all of the food. If they get runny(even on too many capsules) just stop for a day or two until the poop is normal again then start again on a lower dose.

Jen