Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessa_s212 View Post
The first time I saw a labradooodle, I exclaimed "Those are UGLY! Why do people want to breed those?"

I don't get it. Every one I've met still sheds like crazy, including goldendoodles.
I hate it when anyone calls a breed ugly, many don't appeal to me but not a dog alive do I consider ugly ... I don't think Foster is Ugly... and he does not shed a lick, I know many do, but he simply does not...

As a Pup:

Adult, Full Coat:

Adult, Shaved:

Goofy, funny, smart, friendly, loving to a fault... I know why people love them...
Old 06-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Top Dog

I know of one or two service dog organizations here in the US who breed labradoodle/poodle mixes - labradoodledoodles. I don't know what their reasoning is, whether they are better than just lab/poodles, and the one I met looked exactly like a poodle of course. Maybe they were "experimenting." *shrugs*
Old 06-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

The designer breed whose popularity truly mystifies me is the Puggle. Living here in rich people land I have seen every designer mix imaginable. Though some of the pug-beagles are cute, they are stubborn, difficult to housebreak, shed like mad, and are food obsessed. This is not surprising in view of the fact that both Pugs and Beagles are known for being stubborn, difficult to housebreak, shedding like mad, and being food obsessed. What were people thinking here?

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 06-25-2009, 10:38 PM
Top Dog

As a lover of large breeds , I really don't pay much attention to small breed mixes , If you love them , adopt them ! To me these are designer dogs . Cute mutts who need homes !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Fishies!

Poodles seem to have some temperament issues. I haven't met many, but they can be pretty stand offish. They also swim funny, I don't know if its the structure of the front end or not, but they splash so much water, the pond is lucky to have water in it at the end of the day.

The coat is an issue too. A lot of people don't know you don't have to keep them in a funny clip. The labradoodle, being a "not a breed" you have more "leniency" on how to cut it. I'd still probably go with the short haired lab, but they can be shaggy type cute.

drmom... I do like puggles. A little bit of short faced, wrinkly cuteness, but with a working body. The adults remind me of miniature mastiffs in head form rather than bulldogs, which I consider a very good thing. Puggle, pug. I'll take the mix! http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images16...erBrooklyn.JPG
Old 06-25-2009, 11:24 PM
tessa_s212

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLeigh View Post
I hate it when anyone calls a breed ugly, many don't appeal to me but not a dog alive do I consider ugly ... I don't think Foster is Ugly... and he does not shed a lick, I know many do, but he simply does not...

Goofy, funny, smart, friendly, loving to a fault... I know why people love them...
Take in mind that they are all very poorly bred around here. The ones I have seen around here ARE ugly, especially the first one I ever saw. Course, that was several years ago.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion. I personally believe Brussel Griffons are ugly, "puggles" too... they just don't appeal to me.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmom777 View Post
The designer breed whose popularity truly mystifies me is the Puggle. Living here in rich people land I have seen every designer mix imaginable. Though some of the pug-beagles are cute, they are stubborn, difficult to housebreak, shed like mad, and are food obsessed. This is not surprising in view of the fact that both Pugs and Beagles are known for being stubborn, difficult to housebreak, shedding like mad, and being food obsessed. What were people thinking here?

I wont jump on the ugly bandwagon, but i will say that labradoodles are not easy on my eyes.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:25 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
Poodles seem to have some temperament issues. I haven't met many, but they can be pretty stand offish. They also swim funny, I don't know if its the structure of the front end or not, but they splash so much water, the pond is lucky to have water in it at the end of the day.

The coat is an issue too. A lot of people don't know you don't have to keep them in a funny clip. The labradoodle, being a "not a breed" you have more "leniency" on how to cut it. I'd still probably go with the short haired lab, but they can be shaggy type cute.

drmom... I do like puggles. A little bit of short faced, wrinkly cuteness, but with a working body. The adults remind me of miniature mastiffs in head form rather than bulldogs, which I consider a very good thing. Puggle, pug. I'll take the mix! http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images16...erBrooklyn.JPG
Me too, I'd take a puggle over a pug any day too. We get a LOT of puggles in though and they are not often easy dogs. A lot are very very stubborn but imo they're very cute. I still like them much more than pugs.

Labradoodles are far from ugly. I don't know that I'd classify them as pretty but they're very adorable. Especially the puppies. I will admit the poorly bred one around here is not very attractive. He seems to have gotten a very uneven/wiry coat that you don't see in the multigeneration ones. He's just very very scruffy looking.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:47 AM
Obey the Toad.

I used to never understand the whole labradoodle thing until I met one. I met him the beach last year and after spending a couple minutes with him I knew exactly why someone would want one. His shagginess even won me over, and I'm not a shaggy dog person. I could see having a well bred one.

That having been said, this subject came up on my lab bard and when I mentioned not having a problem with ethically bred doodles (and took offense to a poster referring to a doodle pup as "that thing") I was roundly shunned. I guess chaz people are just more open minded.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:19 AM
<------RIP Superdog

I think my issue with labra/golden/doodles is lessening. Mainly because i am seeing alot more "well bred" ones then before. I really dont like the scruffy, almost terrier coat ones that seem to be mostly BYB dogs. I like the more "fluffy" kind, but probably because they are more poodle like, which i obviously prefer. If for some odd known reason i were to get the breed, i personally would get a goldendoodle. I just really like the ones ive met, and their coats were Super soft, even as they got older. I really havnt seen a huge amount in my area, but there have been plenty of doodles. Now, the morkies, there are Tons!!
I think the main reason i dont/didnt like labradoodles is because i just do not like labs! They are just a breed you couldnt give me for many reasons. And to mix them with my favorite breed, no thanks!!