Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpoodleperson View Post
Hmm. Interesting points. Thanks everyone, it makes me think about them a little differently. I honestly couldnt wrap my small brain around why people would want them when they could just get a poodle. I guess they are different though. I still hold my ground that i dont really like them though.
Good luck with that if you meet a properly bred one

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Top Dog

I can appreciate Standard Poodles , but I would never own one . I like big bones , feet and heads . Of all mixes , I love Doodles ... whether Lab or Golden.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-25-2009, 03:15 PM
:( only one :(

I felt the same way as BP before meeting my first one. Maybe it's the fact that I'm such a hard core poodle lover and didn't understand why they needed to be mix....why mess with perfection was my thought..lol But I'm now in LOVE with some of the labradoodles that I groom, very sweet guys.

I still wouldn't want to get one though, poodles still have my heart. But I keep telling one of my labradoodle clients that if he never came to pick his boy up I would keep him and not say a word...LOL
Old 06-25-2009, 03:18 PM
overdogged

i've apparently not met the right ones, because... blech. i've met some nice goldendoodles, though. and i think they're much more aesthetically pleasing. but i'm not much for the scruffy wirey coat i see on so many labradoodles.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 06-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Interesting its like me with chocolate and peanut butter. I don't like either... but when you put them together yummmmm! I don't think I would ever own a standard poodle or a lab... but I have liked every doodle that has come through class. (one I wanted to steal-he was adorable, smart as a whip, and reallly driven to work)
Interestingly, I've heard the same thing from two other trainers/agility people. That the mix is, in some ways, greater than the sum of its two parts, and that the doodles somehow wind up being dogs with better work ethics and drive than either retrievers or poodles. Now, my only experience has been bad (very under exercised/under stimulated labradoodle across the street who barks non-stop), but it's interesting to me that you've noticed the same thing I've heard.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Top Dog

the very first labradoodles were bred by a fella in Oz in the 1970s. he need a hypoallergenic retreiver & didn't have access to water spaniels or curlies (don't even know if these are hypoallergenic) at a reasonable price. so crossed a very smart poodle he knew of onto his working labs. he selected & linebred for the median dogs w/ the hypoallergenic coat and good working ability (and he started the name labradoodle).
now the history in the USA i am not up to speed on and only got this because i wound up chatting w/ a pigdogger who was personal friend of the fella. he whipped out a whole archive of personal pics and old articles from Ozzie publications. this was about 8 years ago when boardogs still had a forum.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Island dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
the very first labradoodles were bred by a fella in Oz in the 1970s. he need a hypoallergenic retreiver & didn't have access to water spaniels or curlies (don't even know if these are hypoallergenic) at a reasonable price. so crossed a very smart poodle he knew of onto his working labs. he selected & linebred for the median dogs w/ the hypoallergenic coat and good working ability (and he started the name labradoodle).
That's where doc's sophie came from.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Top Dog

the working dog community is a small world and getting smaller everyday.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:43 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillandSilent View Post
Goldendoodles are huge here, and I can not honestly say I've met one who thrilled me. I can think of a half dozen off the top of my head who come to daycare, and they are some of the most scatterbrained, hyper and timid dogs I have ever met.
HOWEVER, and I cannot stress this enough, I have a snaking suspicion that they all come from the same BYB. It seems that we get a new one or two every six months like clockwork. I would be very interested to meet a well bred one. It would never be a dog I would consider for myself, but interesting to meet.
Foster is a Goldendoodle, not a Labradoodle, but that does not describe him at all... He is sweet, outgoing, far from timid, and he is VERY playful, he can have serious zoomies but I would not call him hyper at all... He is smart, but goofy... LOL
Old 06-25-2009, 10:00 PM
tessa_s212

The first time I saw a labradooodle, I exclaimed "Those are UGLY! Why do people want to breed those?"

I don't get it. Every one I've met still sheds like crazy, including goldendoodles.

ETA: as far as temperament goes, I have not meant one that isn't completely crazy, out of control, hyper, etc. We don't have well bred doodles here,so that explains that,...