Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-25-2009, 07:26 AM
Just try me..

See personally I don't see the attraction in a standard poodle.. they just aren't my thing. I don't like their 'shape' at all. (body structure shape) I DO like the look of doodles though. They are a bit 'rounder'. So just talking on aesthetics... I prefer doodles.

I have met some wonderful poodles. I have also met wonderful doodles. But if I HAD to choose one I would pick the doodle.

Interesting its like me with chocolate and peanut butter. I don't like either... but when you put them together yummmmm! I don't think I would ever own a standard poodle or a lab... but I have liked every doodle that has come through class. (one I wanted to steal-he was adorable, smart as a whip, and reallly driven to work)
Old 06-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Top Dog

I think its because they were told they don't shed, and from what I understand even "hypoallergenic" dogs still shed.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm All Ears

I have actually been very impressed with 90% of the doodles I've met. There's only one I know that I really really don't like. Of course most doodles I know are guide dogs in training so they're well behaved and obviously not from a breeder throwing whatever lab with whatever poodle. The one that I don't like I have no idea where he's from but he's a mess to be around. Much of it may be training, but he also looks very very different from the others. But in general they're really nice dogs. Big, hairy, and all have been very friendly and outgoing. Of course they're very active but so are labs and poodles.

I've also worked with a couple through the shelter (well, one golden/poodle pup too) and have liked all of them much better than the labs. I think part of it is just aesthetics as I like longhaired dogs. But there have been several I would've taken home.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Top Dog

I like all that I have met .....

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Felurian

The only one I've met was a very carefully bred one owned by a doc. His son works in the movie industry and got the dog from a friend who trains animals for film work.

She is a LOVELY dog. Gorgeous disposition, not as aloof as a Standard Poodle nor as OMG thrilled to meet as most Labs. Incredibly intelligent and intuitive, gentle, affectionate, just really a wonderful creature.

Physically she was stunning; soft, soft coat -- much softer than a Poodle coat, and definitely a sturdier dog than a Poodle, but more elegant than a Lab.

I can completely see why people are so smitten with them.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-25-2009, 09:35 AM

Oh...you KNOW I'd have to pop into this thread. To know them is to love them. I adore standard poodles but they are very different from a well bred (and yes, there are PLENTY around) Labradoodle.
I have 3 in class right now and as is usually the case, they are all sweet, gentle, smart and comical. Non-shed....not always, but low shed is often the case especially when it's an F1B (from health tested lines).

All three in my classes are from breeders who do more health testing than most of the lab or poodle breeders I know who's pups have come into my classes. Not saying that there isn't a huge designer dog craze...it's horrible, but most that come through my classes come from the better breeders. I think that more people are doing research now because EVERYONE is charging so much for these dogs, it's causing people to investigate a little deeper into what they're getting.

Those who say that there is nothing noteable, consistent or unique about them simply haven't met enough to make that judgement. They are as unique to their breeding as any other breed that I've met. There is definitely something 'special' about these dogs....and this is not just because I own one but because I've met so dang many.

I've have PWD's, Standard Poodles, and many other breeds in class that people often refer to as a "better" option and I can tell you first hand that while they are wonderful breeds, they are not the same.

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 06-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Top Dog

Goldendoodles are huge here, and I can not honestly say I've met one who thrilled me. I can think of a half dozen off the top of my head who come to daycare, and they are some of the most scatterbrained, hyper and timid dogs I have ever met.
HOWEVER, and I cannot stress this enough, I have a snaking suspicion that they all come from the same BYB. It seems that we get a new one or two every six months like clockwork. I would be very interested to meet a well bred one. It would never be a dog I would consider for myself, but interesting to meet.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:16 PM
<------RIP Superdog

Hmm. Interesting points. Thanks everyone, it makes me think about them a little differently. I honestly couldnt wrap my small brain around why people would want them when they could just get a poodle. I guess they are different though. I still hold my ground that i dont really like them though.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Island dweller

Well having met Sophie I can definitely understand the allure I'd own one but only a well-bred proper one and I'll never afford that lol.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:48 PM
Top Dog

Honestly, I think they are really cute dogs. As others have suggested, standard poodles do have a sort of frou frou reputation to many people. I like standard poodles as dogs but personally am not a huge fan of their looks. The doodles I have met have been really sweet, happy go lucky dogs.

After I did research, I decided against it, but at one point I did want a doodle.