Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-29-2009, 10:38 PM
Top Dog

i don't really know too much about them but yoshi came from not a great home *i got her from shelter not mill/byb* she originally went in with two siblings that i saw the first day i went in to look at a puppy *puppy i originally wanted wasn't yoshi... yoshi was a last minute decision* they even as puppies looked a lot different. they were all roughly the same colors. the other two were thicker/sturdier looking than yoshi and they had fur more like dr2little's sophie. i've seen them since at a few rescue events around ne oklahoma and they are larger than her and their bodies are way thicker than hers their fur is also WAY different than hers.

yoshi isn't from a great place and was in horrible condition when i first got her so i think she's kind of a case of someone just threw whatever poodle and lab dogs together. i have only met one other that looked like yoshi all other's leaned more toward sophie's looks

Old 06-29-2009, 11:39 PM
orange iguanas.

I can see the attraction... I personally don't care for curly coats... but if that's what people are into. However I wouldn't search for one from a "breeder," maybe a rescue yes. My neighbor's have a "goldendoodle" that's the same age as Juno (they're best friends!), she's a sweet puppy. So I can understand why someone would want one... I would just rather find a well bred dog that has similar characteristics.

My aunt has a maltese/yorkie mix puppy that she paid $800 for. THAT I don't understand. You can get a dog from a reputable breeder for that price.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 06-30-2009, 01:33 AM
Big Dog

How much do labradoodles cost these days? I think they're bred now by backyard breeders and puppy farms because they are said to be fashionable.

No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
I really wish they would change their name to separate them from the rest of the designer breeds. I suppose if someone is breeding them for a purpose and doing all the right things I'm not entirely against them. But they were the start of this awful "let's mix dogs and make money" fad where people are mixing dogs because they know people will want this "exotic breed". There is no purpose for breeding these dogs. The lab/poodle mixes were bred for a legitimate reason and so long as there are breeders who continue doing this and start an actual purebred dog then I guess it's okay, I just think they need to set themselves apart from the people who are throwing together different breeds to make money or to have fun by seeing what they get.

If they don't give a mixed name (name with half lab and half poodle in it) they at least sound more like a breed (since this is what I hope they are aiming for, to stop mixing and to establish a purebred with a physical and temperamental standard)and less like a mix. Whenever I hear someone call a labradoodle a breed I am a little bothered because labradoodle means lab/poodle= mix not breed.
I agree with this. I can see labradoodles making astounding service dogs, which would definitely be breeding for a purpose. However, that isn't happening for the most part, which is unfortunate. I see possibilities in the mix, but if they're just breeding for a cute, supposedly hypoallergenic dog...

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 06-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Top Dog

and they should really be pushing for the hypoallergenic, when you mix a lab and a poodle there is no guarantee of a hypoallergenic dog(or low allergenic, nothing is absolutely hypoallergenic) so they should work on breeding only those with the hypoallergenic coat.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 06-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Silence! I ban you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
and they should really be pushing for the hypoallergenic, when you mix a lab and a poodle there is no guarantee of a hypoallergenic dog(or low allergenic, nothing is absolutely hypoallergenic) so they should work on breeding only those with the hypoallergenic coat.
Agreed. However, there is a lot of room between "should" and "would", unfortunately.

I failed to mention earlier that I like the look and temperament of most every labradoodle/goldendoodle I've met. I think some of the more wiry-haired ones look like mutant Muppets, but that's cute in it's own way. Makes me want to scratch their bellies
Old 06-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Felurian

Yoko, personally I think Yoshi's one of the most adorable dogs ever

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-30-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Yoko, personally I think Yoshi's one of the most adorable dogs ever
I couldn't agree more!! I have ALWAYS loved Yoshi's scruffy, not "over groomed" look. I wish that I could get Sophie to look that that but her hair is quite light and fluffy and when I brush her out I loose it.
Love me some YOSHI!!!!!

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 06-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Top Dog

Grammy sure loves her !!! I love shaggy dogs !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
See personally I don't see the attraction in a standard poodle.. they just aren't my thing. I don't like their 'shape' at all. (body structure shape) I DO like the look of doodles though. They are a bit 'rounder'. So just talking on aesthetics... I prefer doodles.

I have met some wonderful poodles. I have also met wonderful doodles. But if I HAD to choose one I would pick the doodle.

Interesting its like me with chocolate and peanut butter. I don't like either... but when you put them together yummmmm! I don't think I would ever own a standard poodle or a lab... but I have liked every doodle that has come through class. (one I wanted to steal-he was adorable, smart as a whip, and reallly driven to work)
If you really look, a nice standard poodle is shaped a lot like a Doberman. Even the head and teeth structure. My old trainer had a standard and he pointed that out to me and once I started watching the dog, it was easy to see the similarities in build.

As far as the other comments go, it's pretty funny, I haven't been around much in the last few months, yet you can come back and read a thread and it's like you never missed a thing!