Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 06-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Top Dog

Default Too Late to Spay?

Post on behalf of a friend. She has found an adorable little pit mix. After a week, no one has claimed the dog (dumping is very common in this area) and she wants to keep her. The dog is very cute, very sweet, and VERY pregnant.
Firend does not feel as if she is capable of whelping a litter, providing the proper care/socialization for one, or finding homes for the puppies. Pits and pit mixes are a dime a dozen here.
Her own vet feels that it is too late to spay the bitch without comprimising her health. The local spay/neuter place will do it, but they will do anything that isn't delivering right on the table.
"Libby" is estimated to be about 3/4 of the way through the pregnancy, but she is HUGE! I wouldn't be suprised to have her deliver 9 or 10 puppies.
None of the local shelters will take the pups when they are of age, except for animal control, where they will probably be PTS.
Is it too late to do and E-spay on Libby?

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Twin 2.0

See if you can't get her into a rescue or private foster in another part of the state or country if possible. It probably would be best over all to do the late spay, but that makes even me feel pretty squicky.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Crazy Dog!

Talk to your vet. My vet would probably do it. A friend of mine picked up a very pregnant stray cat and told him "Do the spay, and I don't wanna know about the kittens." He did because he knows how hard it is to find homes for stray cats, much less a whole litter of unwanted kittens.

You may have to call around, but I bet you could find a vet who would do the spay.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillandSilent View Post
Her own vet feels that it is too late to spay the bitch without comprimising her health. The local spay/neuter place will do it, but they will do anything that isn't delivering right on the table.
If the vet says it's too late, he is probably looking at the overall health of the dog, not just the fact that she's pregnant. If she was stray, it's probable that she's not in great health anyway, and maybe the vet feels that to spay her now would not be good because of that.

Then again, maybe he just doesn't want to take the risk of spaying a dog this late in the pregnancy.

This is a toughie, don't know what I would do.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:29 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Whelping a litter would be a lot harder on a bitch then a late spay. I think she should try and get it done somewhere. I would HATE to be in that situation though!

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 06-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Salty Sea Dog

i think with the risk on an older dog with a large litter, if shes too late to spay/abort i would talk to the vet about the possibibility of prebooking a c-section, and plan to assist feeds

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 06-23-2009, 06:23 PM
Top Dog

It is never too late to spay. The surgical procedure for a late spay is very similar to a c-section and any vet capable of performing c-sections is capable of doing late spays. Sometimes a vet will refuse to do a late spay due to poor health of the bitch. Sometimes they just say that because they disagree with the procedure for personal or ethical reasons.

The vet who declined the proceduce does not have to whelp, raise, and attempt to find homes for possibly a dozen puppies, your friend does. This is a HUGE responsibility and your friend realizes it. If I were in your friend's shoes, I would take Libby to a vet or clinic who will do the procedure. The sooner it is doen the sooner Libby will recover and enjoy her new life.

My best wishes.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:07 PM
and Spy.

I think the info has already been given

Sucky situation for your friend tho... Sending her 'be strong' vibes and a (hug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:48 PM
Top Dog

Any updates??
Old 06-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Top Dog

Yes, actually. Friend did have Libby spay/aborted in the end. She signed extra papers releasing her vet from liabilty if Libby passed away during the procedure. The vet aborted 14 fetuses, so we are very glad that the procedure got done!
Libby is still in a little pain, but she is now in her forever home, recovering with her new mommy.
Thank you Chazzers, from both of us, for answering the questions and letting us know that it wasn't too late. Mine mind is boggling at the thought of poor Libby (who only weighs about 40lbs) trying to deliver and care for such a large litter.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.