Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Addicted to Agility

Smile The Belgian Breeds

I'm really looking into owning one of these dogs in the future as I have been doing alot of research on all 3.
Now I know when the breed was created the Terv, Mal and Sheepdog were all considered one breed. Now when then got reconized by AKC or maybe earlier they were seperated into the 'breeds' know today.
Now I would just like to know what the main differences are between the 3 of them. Because when I was reading about them I came across info saying that the Mal can have a protective streak and be possive, yet I never came across that when researching the Terv but if they are all the same breed then that doesnt sense so thats what I would like to clear up and figure out how the 3 of them differ from each other temperament wise

Thanks in advance!

Amazing fleece braided leashes, toys and more!
www.rushtotug.com
Old 06-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Who woulda thought <3

with all your research you should know that their are 4....

Groenendael, Laekenois, Tervuren, and the Malinois. (whoops messed up one, but there are still four lol)

Good luck with your search

Last edited by jess2416; 06-24-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Addicted to Agility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess2416 View Post
with all your research you should know that their are 4....

Sheepdog
Groenendael
Laekenois
Malinois

Good luck with your search
haha right, I totally forgot the 4th guy but thats because I'm only interested in the Malinois, Terv and Grodnendael(Sheepdog)

www.rushtotug.com
Old 06-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

They are all high drive and high energy. Yes, Mals can be protective. Not any more so than a good GSD. Mals also can be a bit on the nervy side. I don't know about the other varieties.

The AKC did split three of them into separate breeds and dropped the fourth. The UKC and CKC recognize them as varieties of one breed. The dogs themselves do not know that they're supposed to be different breeds. You can breed a Mal to a Mal and get a Terv.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Top Dog

they were always seperate breeds in belgium, the AKC & it's affiliated club lumped them together. because of this the american lines will throw sports that look like the other breeds. they aren't the only group of breeds to be lumped together. at one time the flat, curly coat & labrador were all varieties of one retreiver breed even though the brits considered them seperate breeds. it's a common problem, the AKC & their associated clubs think they know another country's dogs better than they do.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:58 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
they were always seperate breeds in belgium, the AKC & it's affiliated club lumped them together. because of this the american lines will throw sports that look like the other breeds. they aren't the only group of breeds to be lumped together. at one time the flat, curly coat & labrador were all varieties of one retreiver breed even though the brits considered them seperate breeds. it's a common problem, the AKC & their associated clubs think they know another country's dogs better than they do.
Uh...You got that a little backwards. AKC is the only registry that recognizes the varieties as separate breeds.

History & Description of the Belgian Malinois

Quote:
Near the end of 1891 a Belgian veterinarian by the name of Adolphe Reul, gathered more than one hundred Belgian Shepherds (also known as the Chien de Berger Belge) and their owners. He had decided to establish a breed standard for the Belgian breed. When the dogs were brought together he found them to be ununified in type. He advised the owners to breed their dogs only to other dogs of the same coat type regardless of their color. Most of the breeders agreed and a standard was drawn up. The following May the first specialty show took place and the Belgian Shepherd started its long track to uniformity.

In the early 1900's the Belgian Shepherd was recognized by the Societie Royal St. Hubert, as one breed with four varieties. In 1914 World War I broke out and the efforts of the breeders and the number of breeding dogs were diminished. Movements were made to save the breed from extinction. Breeding regulations were linnet and any dogs of quality of was recognized regardless of color. All the dogs were allowed to breed regardless of their coat color or type. As a result different variety pups were born in the litters. The Societie Royal St. Hubert registered the pups as the variety they were born and not the variety of the parents. To date this is the desired practice for determining the variety.

Around twenty years later as the breed finally started to flourish once more, war broke out once more again losing valuable breeding stock. Thankfully the loss was not as great as the first war. Many of the dogs, thousands, were brought into military service. They were used as messengers, scouts, border patrol, and Red Cross dogs.

There are four varieties of Belgian Shepherds: the Laekenois, the rough coated fawn, named for the area they were mainly developed, the Chateau de Laeken, were Queen Marie-Henriette named them her favorite; the Groenendael, the long haired black, named from the Chateau de Groenendael, were the two forbears of the variety lived, Piccard d'Uccle and a bitch named Petite; Piccard and Petite were also the forbears of the third variety, the Tervuren, the long haired fawn with black mask and points. Their black son, Duc du Groenendael, was mated to a fawn bitch, Miss, and produced the famous Milsart, the first Tervuren champion; The last variety was the Malinois, short haired fawn with black mask and points. The malinois Tomy is considered the foundation of the variety. The malinois acquired its name from the city of Malines.

In 1911 the Belgian Shepherds gained recognition by the American Kennel Club. Later in 1959 the AKC decided to split the Belgian Shepherd into separate breeds. The malinois and tervuren kept their original names, but the groenendael changed theirs to the sheepdog, and the laekenois was dropped from recognition. From 1950 to 1965 the malinois was placed into the Miscellaneous class. In 1965 the AKC gave the malinois full AKC recognition and placed them into the Working group. In 1983 they were moved into the Herding group were they reside today.

Today the topic of recombination is still in the works. There are those that oppose it and those that accept it. AKC is the ONLY registry to recognize the Belgians as separate breeds, and excludes the laekenois.

sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Top Dog

This is actually something I've never understood. So if Mal is bred to a Mal, and has a Terv, does the AKC recognize it as a Terv or a Mal? (oooh, I made a tounge twister!)
I just don't get how one purebred can give birth to another without screwing up the system.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillandSilent View Post
This is actually something I've never understood. So if Mal is bred to a Mal, and has a Terv, does the AKC recognize it as a Terv or a Mal? (oooh, I made a tounge twister!)
I just don't get how one purebred can give birth to another without screwing up the system.
I'm not completely sure how it works out but I think that AKC would register it as a Mal and it would not be able to show in conformation but would still be able to compete in performance events. It's not that one purebred is producing another. They're all the same breed. They just have different coats. Not really any different from breeding a pair smooth collies and getting a puppy with a rough coat.

sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
Old 06-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Addicted to Agility

Thats really weird, AKC should have just kept them one breed with varitiys like Collies I dont see the advantage in making them seperate breeds if they are all really the same breed haha talk about confusing!

Thats were I find the temperaments kind of confuseing because if they are all the same breed then what is really different temperament wise, thats what I really want to find out so I can decide which of them would be the best match for me.

www.rushtotug.com
Old 06-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Addicted to Agility

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
Mals also can be a bit on the nervy side.
What exactly do you mean by that?

www.rushtotug.com