Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Twin 2.0

Well if that isn't completely counter-productive...
Old 06-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Fila Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72947 View Post
Its hard to describe, but I will try.

There is a widespread belief that large dogs are "gentle giants." Well, they are and they aren't. They are gentle and soft with their people, but if a threat presents itself, they will react accordingly. The vast majority are not prepared for this. Also, what may be considered dangerous behavior from your garden variety mutt can be just par for the course with a large guardian. For example, if I have, say, a young unsocialized guardian at the end of my leash, and a person walks quickly up to me without warning, and the dog reacts by putting himself in front of me, growling and perhaps barking, that is proper guarding behavior. The dog is not being aggressive, the dog is just doing what his instincts are telling him to do if he perceives a threat. People who don't understand this will just see an aggressive, possibly dangerous dog, not a dog that needs their guarding instinct channeled properly and a little confidence building. In this situation, a properly socialized and trained guardian would be alert, but not upset by an approaching stranger (well, unless they have a hoodie pulled up over their head, so I've heard ) unless they show themselves to be a threat by pushing you, yelling, etc.

People don't see these dogs for what they are. They can go from loving, adoring pet to fearless protector in a split second, and improperly handled a dog like this can end up seriously hurting someone. People view them as being basically the same as the hound mixes, the labs, the ACD mixes etc. and they are NOT and it is dangerous to believe such.
Nice explanation Cristy. But, you have seen this first hand with an unsocialized teenage Fila.

Now darnit!! Where are these pictures?
Old 06-22-2009, 09:27 AM
Squishy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by filarotten View Post
Nice explanation Cristy. But, you have seen this first hand with an unsocialized teenage Fila.

Now darnit!! Where are these pictures?
Thanks! I am resizing pics as we speak.

FOHA isn't a bad rescue shelter at all, they just don't know anything about molossers. :/ I'm going to print out some materials I found on a good Presa website and leave them in the office.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 06-22-2009, 09:30 AM
Fila Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72947 View Post
Thanks! I am resizing pics as we speak.

FOHA isn't a bad rescue shelter at all, they just don't know anything about molossers. :/ I'm going to print out some materials I found on a good Presa website and leave them in the office.

That's a great idea!!