Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Squishy face

Default Holy good gravy, the rescue has a Presa Canario

I was at FOHA today, walked into the kennels, and lo and behold a male presa canario was looking back at me. I am irritated, because this rescue really has no business trying to place molosser breeds. They really don't understand the difference between the molosser and other dog breeds. Every mastiff they have ever pulled has been returned at least twice, except Fang the Neo (who is now Zeus) because he was extremely lucky.

But the presa, who's name is Guppy btw (a stupid name for a presa) seems to be a soft type, he likes laps, likes cuddles, takes treats gently, walks well on a leash, and seems to be a stable dog. He does need some confidence building, and his conformation stinks. He has some horrible elbows, they bow out like a bulldog. I wouldn't be surprised if he develops elbow displaysia.

*Sighs* I hope this dog doesn't get screwed over. Pics will be posted tomorrow!

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 06-21-2009, 05:10 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Looking forward to meetin Guppy. Glad your there to watch over him.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 06-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Top Dog

I actually think Guppy is sort of cute! Best of luck in placing the fellow, I know it's more dog than I would be comfortable taking on.
I know what you mean about rescues having issues with these breeds though. When our rescue got a Fila, none of us had any idea what to do with it. We ended up finding a wonderful Fila breeder a few states over who was willing to come get the big guy and properly place him. It was a relief for all of us!

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Top Dog

what are the special considerations when placing a mollosser?
Old 06-21-2009, 06:11 PM
Squishy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criosphynx View Post
what are the special considerations when placing a mollosser?
Its hard to describe, but I will try.

There is a widespread belief that large dogs are "gentle giants." Well, they are and they aren't. They are gentle and soft with their people, but if a threat presents itself, they will react accordingly. The vast majority are not prepared for this. Also, what may be considered dangerous behavior from your garden variety mutt can be just par for the course with a large guardian. For example, if I have, say, a young unsocialized guardian at the end of my leash, and a person walks quickly up to me without warning, and the dog reacts by putting himself in front of me, growling and perhaps barking, that is proper guarding behavior. The dog is not being aggressive, the dog is just doing what his instincts are telling him to do if he perceives a threat. People who don't understand this will just see an aggressive, possibly dangerous dog, not a dog that needs their guarding instinct channeled properly and a little confidence building. In this situation, a properly socialized and trained guardian would be alert, but not upset by an approaching stranger (well, unless they have a hoodie pulled up over their head, so I've heard ) unless they show themselves to be a threat by pushing you, yelling, etc.

People don't see these dogs for what they are. They can go from loving, adoring pet to fearless protector in a split second, and improperly handled a dog like this can end up seriously hurting someone. People view them as being basically the same as the hound mixes, the labs, the ACD mixes etc. and they are NOT and it is dangerous to believe such.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 06-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Top Dog

Gotcha. Thanks for the explaination. I was thinking it was along those lines.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:15 PM
<--------Orson

I look forward to seeing him! And I echo smkie's sentiments.............glad he's got you to keep an eye out for him
Old 06-21-2009, 06:41 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Is there anyway one of the Chazers can pull him and do a transport or something? If the shelter is not a good shelter.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 06-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Twin 2.0

Good luck with him!!

I forget, why won't FOHA work with breed rescues?
Old 06-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Squishy face

FOHA will gladly help a rescue transport a dog that does not belong to FOHA, but they are possessive of the dogs that do belong to FOHA, and they like to have control over who they are being adopted to, and don't want to give that control to anyone else. With the BOD, its really all about control. :/