Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 06-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Active Pup

The crate is in our bedroom right now (much to the chagrin of Adam), the first night when he wouldn't stop crying I moved the crate to the furthest most point in the house and Adam eventually moved it back because someone told us that if the dog could see us he wouldn't freak out so much. Boy were they mistaken! It's like you're saying mjb he just cries allllllllllllllll night! It's not the occasional whimpers it's howling and barking and whining that makes it sound like he is being murdered. It's horrible.

Adam thinks it is too late now to crate train him since he's been sleeping in our bed every night. (I would like to say for the record that Adam was the one that took him out of the crate the first night, I was very willing to let him cry, I was forewarned about the crying). Even when we leave him in the crate during the day he cries so that the whole neighborhood can hear him, it's very irritating. Do you think that it is too late now?
Old 06-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Twin 2.0

Yes, having Adam take an active role in his training will help a lot as well. Look up NILIF and start with that, with both of you taking an equal role. That should help as well.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Active Pup

Wow Zoom! I just finished reading an article about NILIF and what a great concept! I already make Diesel sit before getting food or being let out or back in but what a great point about not letting him initiate affection or play, I can see how that would make him the one in charge instead of me. What a great tip, thank you so much!
Old 06-21-2009, 09:07 PM
and Spy.

It is never too late to crate train! Stick to your guns, and tell your boyfriend to suck it up .

Kidding, kidding... But seriously, do try and continue with the crate for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:08 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

It is never too late to train anything in any dog.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 06-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
NILIF and what a great concept!
I agree entirely
Old 06-23-2009, 12:53 AM
I'm on a boat..

Do you cover his crate? I've not had to do it with any of the others, but with Grimm, we cover his cage with a blanket (we call it birdcaging...because he's covered like a little canary) because if he can see us, he whines. Covered, he settles into his bed and sleeps.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:25 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

I would also encourage you to crate train. Adam is mistaken in saying that Diesel can't be crated because he's already been allowed to sleep on the bed.

When he cries or whines or barks or howls, you must must MUST ignore that completely. Act like he doesn't exist! Otherwise you're teaching him that crying = attention, and the one thing puppies want more than anything is attention. Even negative attention is attention. It will probably take a couple of weeks before he stops crying.

Its call extinguishing a behavior. Because the behavior was rewarded, its going to be much more difficult to get rid of it, and right before it goes away completely, its going to be at its worst.

My brother has a boxer pup, about 2 months older than Diesel, and she cried every time and all night when she was in the crate. For weeks. Because she had learned if she cried long enough or loud enough she would get let out of the crate and allowed in the bed.

Eventually they listen to me, and stopped letting her out. It did take another few weeks before she learned to be quiet, and now she can be crated all night without a peep. They made the crate fun, and they made the crate a safe place, and she came to associate it with good things, not just "jail" and now she is happy to sleep there and will go to her bed willingly.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Active Pup

I've been trying to work on the crate with Diesel. It's hard for two reasons - first he cries ALLLLLLL night, not just occasionally, I mean this is the most determined dog evvvvver. He does however stop when I walk into the room (I've been trying to put him in there and leave the room for a few minutes than come back) he gets quiet and calm-ish. The other reason is that neither of us can sleep with him barking and carrying on, especially Adam who has to work everyday. Neither of us really care if he sleeps in the crate at night, it's mostly just a during the day sort of deal when I have to leave or take a shower. Then he gets put in the crate and I don't let him out until I'm ready to let him out. I don't know, the whole thing is just really frustrating ya know? There is just no way that I can leave him in the crate all night and deal with the barking, not because it breaks my heart, but because it is literally impossible to sleep when he is in there.

The first night I did cover the crate and it did nothing. I'm beginning to think that nothing will work - maybe I should call Caesar
Old 06-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Top Dog

During the day when you put him in the crate, does he bark and such constantly too? And do you sometimes walk into the room, even if he's barking?