Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Twin 2

Default Opinions on a ACD Breeder

I'm mostly a lurker, but I found myself in need of your expertise.

I've pretty much decided my next dog (a year from now, probably longer) will be a Austrailian Cattle Dog. So I started looking around at breeders and I found this breeder a few hours away that looks very promising to me. But I've never picked out a breeder before and so I wanted some opinions from people that know more about it than I.

Here's her site-http://www.katwala.com/

Here's her contracts-http://www.katwala.com/contracts.html

So I would just love any opinions and thoughts on her.

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
11. The breeder will refund to the buyer $25.00 for each health check registered for this animal, this includes CERF, OFA and BAER exams (refund made upon receipt of OFA or CERF report or copy of BAER readout).
12. The breeder will refund to the buyer $25.00 for each AKC title earned by this puppy (up to a total of $50.00, Non-AKC titles also possible for refund if arranged with the breeder beforehand).
^I like those.^

She health tests which is great, she shows, and some of the dogs have performance and herding titles. I'd prefer to see more herding titles and performance titles, but...

It looks pretty good.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Twin 2

Thanks!

I agree though, I would love more titles on them for herding, obedience, agility etc. but her health testing, contracts and dedication just seem really amazing. She also has a wealth of information on her site about what she does and her dogs which I like and she really seems to have them in her best intrest.

The other problem I have is that I think she feeds Purina. At least, there's a picture of a Purina bag in the "What you take home" with your new puppy section.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
^I like those.^

She health tests which is great, she shows, and some of the dogs have performance and herding titles. I'd prefer to see more herding titles and performance titles, but...

It looks pretty good.
Ditto ^^ I would like to see more working stuff, but other than that, they look pretty good
Old 06-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Top Dog

I know that there are better foods today ..... but my pups were raised on Purina Puppy chow . But I always added hardboiled egg and cottage cheese . I belonged to the Purina Club and got nice starter kits to send home along with things I made them . BTW ... I couldn't pull up the site so won't give an opinion .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Twin 2.0

Overall it looks pretty good and I know a lot of breeders feed Purina because that's what they were taught to feed and haven't really looked beyond it. I didn't see anything about voiding a health guarantee if you switched to something better, so I would just talk to her and say that given the downturn of Purina and the processing industry over the last few decades and the advent of high-quality human-grade petfood, you would feel more comfortable feeding a better quality diet and see what she says.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Show Dog

It Looks good to me but then I never had to go find a good breeder yet.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Twin 2

Thanks again everyone!

The food that she feeds isn't such a high priority, though I'm always thrilled when I find a raw/high quality kibble breeder.

Does anyone know any other really good ACD breeders or have heard anything good or bad about any?