Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Not a lurker

Well I hate to jump on bandwagons, but with what you've said in the past about the care your other dogs have received, why would you bring another dog into that? For some of the smallest issues you've had a ton of trouble getting dogs to the vet and you're actually considering getting another dog?

Why not take care of those that you have and give them the quality of life they deserve? Why should a new dog get good treatment when your other dogs are getting bare minimum?
Old 06-20-2009, 04:37 PM
FluffyZooCrew

I think this quote right here:

Quote:
But she's still getting better care than the other dogs are
bothered me the most.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Agility freak!

I don't know what the deal is on all your current dogs, but I say wait until you've got money saved up, and then, don't go for an ex-BYB breeder. I know that they need homes, and we have a GSD here who is 8 and had been used as a breeder for the best part of her life. For her, we pay $50 a month to have her pills, another $20 or so for her supplement, and then count all the vet visits we had to make for her teeth, her limp, her general health, ad her $100 every two week dog food (we're feeding RAW because it's supposed to be better for all her aches and pains), and she's one expensive dog.

Do we love her to bits? Yes. Do we regret bringing her home? Not at all! But the difference is, we're 4 people. 3 of which work full time, and I work part time in the summer. We share the costs of our dogs, and ALL OF THEM get the best they can get, because that's what they need.

I say, if you're INSISTANT on getting your OWN dog RIGHT NOW, keep looking on Kijiji (that's where I found Psyche looking for a home!), and find one that someone got sick of, or doesn't want anymore, you'll still be helping a dog out, just not taking on one you wont be able to financhally care for if some problems arise.

Not trying to be harsh, just saying.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 06-20-2009, 05:36 PM
tessa_s212

I work at a veterinary office, and it is the little dachshunds that we can make a LOT of money off of.

In addition to the disk disease(back problems) dachshunds can have, think about thryoid disease(hypothyroidism), congenital eye defects, severe dental issues, cataracts, serious, reoccuring allergies. When you bring a breed of dog into your home from VERY poor bloodlines, you HAVE to think about what all can go wrong, and if you could honestly truly afford the ongoing veterinary bills. NOT just the initial vaccines or vet visit, but serious ongoing bills. If you don't even currently have a part time job, I'm not sure how you think you will be able to afford a dog.

I think it is awesome that you are ambitious to have your OWN dog, your own responsibility, and to take good care of it. And although you may not feel your current animals are "YOURS," if it is true that they are lacking in care,.. I'd be looking to better their care before you bring another dog in your home. I don't know your parents, but if they are willing to skimp on the care for the rest of the dogs, what makes the new dog so special? Parents can sometimes be like kids - they can make blind promises and give you hope, but really nothing about the way the new dog is treated is much better than the others.

I also want to point out that up and moving out and taking animals with you isn't as easy as you're dreaming of. My dogs are still currently living with my mother. They are getting good care, but it can be very hard to find apartments that allow animals. And those that do allow animals can be very costly. Would you be comfortable leaving your animals when you move out? What about college?

Please, please.. invest in the dogs you already currently have so that their lives are better and they get improved care before thinking about bringing another into your home.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessa_s212 View Post

In addition to the disk disease(back problems) dachshunds can have, think about thryoid disease(hypothyroidism), congenital eye defects, severe dental issues, cataracts, serious, reoccuring allergies. When you bring a breed of dog into your home from VERY poor bloodlines, you HAVE to think about what all can go wrong, and if you could honestly truly afford the ongoing veterinary bills. NOT just the initial vaccines or vet visit, but serious ongoing bills. If you don't even currently have a part time job, I'm not sure how you think you will be able to afford a dog.
this strikes me because I totally agree.

I can't say "don't get any dog" its not really my place, I'd rather see a dog in a home then dead anyday, but I can say, as an owner of a badly bred pet store dog who has gobs of health issues that I'd seriously reconsider the rescue route for this breed if $$$ is an issue AT ALL.

Critter runs me several thousands of $$$ yearly because of her poor breeding and poor care prior to coming to live with me. If you do decide to rescue a dog I'd go with a different dog and save yourself alot of drama.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Show Dog

You mentioned in a previous post that as soon as you bath Padfoot He will be becoming a inside dog.Have you done that ? You should better his life before you add another.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:39 PM
BusterLove

I have to agree with what others have said, why not save your money and put it into your CURRENT dogs.
Buster is very healthy, his only issue is his HD and even that has ongoing costs for his supplements and stuff, its about the same price as his food.
I would get a job first so you have a reliable source of income and focus on giving your current dogs a better life first.

I also agree moving out with a dog is hard, I leave town on my own in 2 days and Buster's staying here with mum for atleast a month while I try to find a rental and then sending him up after that (going to cost about $800 just to get him to me because I'm paying most of his costs while I'm gone) and if I get there and just can't find somewhere to live I'm going to have to come home again, re-save and then have another go.
I adore Buster, he is my life. But it is bloody difficult trying to take him with me.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:35 PM
and Fozzie B!

I have one question:

WHY DO YOU NEED 6 DOGS?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why anyone who is struggling to provide anything for one of their dogs would have the desire to get another. Much less 5. Instead of saving up money to spay this dog, feed this dog, take this dog to the Vet, etc, why not save up money to correct Padfoot's entropion? Oh, because that's not new and shiney and exciting? *le sigh*

Like Fluffy said, it breaks my heart to hear you say "at least she will be given better care/food than the other dogs". What? If apparently Padfoot is being allowed in the house, and things are looking up, why add another dog into the equation? Why not save up to improve the lives of your currect dogs?

One more thing... "free dogs" are often far from that. She has not been spayed. She needs to be checked out by a Vet. Being from a BYB and having lived outside all of her life, there's a good chance that she has health issues, periodontal disease, etc. She is definitely not a well-bred dog, nor from an honest/reputable person, and serious structural issues are almost certaintly present or soon to be present. BYB's and PM's are always looking for money, and the fact that she's free is a good indication that they are losing money on her. Adopting a dog from a rescue who has been altered, Vet checked, and fully evaluated is a much safer option in the long-run... and I do agree that taking a dog from a BYB who they have used up and exploited as much as they possibly can IS condoning their immoral practices and IS giving them room for more.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 06-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Remembering Casey ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
I have one question:

WHY DO YOU NEED 6 DOGS?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why anyone who is struggling to provide anything for one of their dogs would have the desire to get another. Much less 5. Instead of saving up money to spay this dog, feed this dog, take this dog to the Vet, etc, why not save up money to correct Padfoot's entropion? Oh, because that's not new and shiney and exciting? *le sigh*

Like Fluffy said, it breaks my heart to hear you say "at least she will be given better care/food than the other dogs". What? If apparently Padfoot is being allowed in the house, and things are looking up, why add another dog into the equation? Why not save up to improve the lives of your currect dogs?

One more thing... "free dogs" are often far from that. She has not been spayed. She needs to be checked out by a Vet. Being from a BYB and having lived outside all of her life, there's a good chance that she has health issues, periodontal disease, etc. BYB's and PM's are always looking for money, and the fact that she's free is a good indication that they are losing money on her. Adopting a dog from a rescue who has been altered, Vet checked, and fully evaluated is a much safer option in the long-run... and I do agree that taking a dog from a BYB who they have used up and exploited as much as they possibly can IS condoning their immoral practices and IS giving them room for more.

^^^^^ THIS!

I want another dog REALLY bad.

But im doing what is right for my CURRENT dog by not getting another dog. She needs me to focus on HER now (Just like your current dogs need you to help them) .. Im sorry but i REALLY do notthink you are in the situation to have the dogs you have now, Let alone another.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

I hate to chime in on things that others have said, but I too am a vet tech and even the best bred Dachshund will be prone to dental disease because of head shape (Collies and Greyhounds too - I'm not picking on Doxies), plus the obvious with the potential for back problems. It sounds like a serious medical problem, or the cost of a veterinary dental cleaning might be out of your price range for awhile.

Good luck, no matter what you decide, but please think with your head before your heart. If you don't take that little one, someone else will. And then you can find another dog at a later date when your position is more concrete.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)