Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Obey the Toad.

Default Spay/Abort Question....

My friend has a young female boxer (probably a year or a year and a half) that is pregnant. She escaped the house while in heat and apparently tied with two males, a chow/shepard mix and a pit bull.

The vet my friend goes to told her that "it would not be a good idea" to do a spay/abort (she is not far enough along that you can really tell that she is pregnant yet). My friend really does not want, nor can she afford the pups--she can barely afford the spay. None of us (her family or close friends) have any idea how to whelp puppies--horses yes, puppies, not so much. This would be the bitch's first litter.

I told her that she needs to get a second opinion about the spay/abort. Why would a vet not want to do one? Is there a certain point in the pregnancy where it is no longer an option?

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Crazy Dog!

Some vets use excuses to cover the fact that they won't do it for moral reasons. As Yodeldogs pointed out in another, similar thread, there is really no point in which it is no longer an option to spay/abort. Please seek a second opinion.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Behavior Nerd

I imagine the surgery is more risky/complicated with a pregnant bitch, same as with one in heat. That being said, the vet at our humane society will spay pregnant females, even those in the late stages of pregnancy and I haven't head of any complications resulting. No one likes to abort the pups, but it's the best thing to do when we already get 9000 dogs/yr. Might your local shelter offer s/n services? if they d, they'd be a great place to check into.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Salty Sea Dog

there are risks associated with the surgery (as with any)
but an abort/spay is considerably Low risk compared to the risks of delivery, particulalry for a young bitch in inexperienced hands (no offence meant by that )

in this case id say its most likley due to moral reasons on the part of the vet, and id say definatly talk to a different vet.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 07-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Top Dog

Talk to a different vet.

We've done spay/abort up until just a few short days away from the est. delivery date. While there is always a risk as with any surgery, there is also a risk with a delivery, espeically for a young bitch. And God knows we don't need any more random mixes in this world.

It's sad, but we have to do what we have to do.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Top Dog

A friend of mine just had a pit mix aborted when she was nearly to term. The dog made it through just fine, and only required a few extra days of painkillers. I would not hesitate to do a spay/abort in your situation.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:13 PM
APBT crazy!

If she isn't that far along, I would talk to a different vet to do this. I have mixed feelings on this matter but her being so young it could kill her. So have your friend find a different vet!
Old 07-05-2009, 05:32 PM
ACoops favorite

IMHO- I would go ahead and abort. One of my mom's bitches several years ago was impregnated by a very determined neighbor dog, and my mom had the pups aborted.

At the time I was young, and didn't understand why she would do that. But, she sat down with me and had a long chat about the over population of dogs and how if we had the litter, then it would just take away homes from the dogs in shelters.

Just to illustrate her point, she took me to volunteer at the shelter for a weekend so that I could see what she was talking about.

It certainly made a lasting impression on me.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Top Dog

I've sadly reported before that I had a litter aborted . But for newbies will repeat . This was my breeding female , but it was her off year . A dog sitter let her out of her kennel when in heat and never told me . When I realized she was preggie I was devastated ! I had to be by her son or father , or a stray . I couldn't let these be part of " whoops " litters. It bothers me to this day >

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Active Pup

I don't understand and probably never will why ppl just throw away life. Yes i know there are many out there already, but that doesn't mean we have to kill them. Why not just have the litter and instead of killing them, let them be born but spay and nuter them to prevent them from getting pregnant if you are not looking for them to be? I know it is hard to afford them but maby if they are your good neighbor or friend you could try and help them a little untill the puppies are ready to be seperated from there mother? It seems to me that we as a country have gotten so used to throwing things away that it doesn't bother us anymore. I have a little girl that I got from my local SPCA. She was unwanted by everyone, her litter mates people that looked over her, ect. Except for one cat but that is not the point. Anyway, she was sooooooooooo skinny as a baby that you could see her ribs. I know some of you may be thinking why couldn't she have just been "spayed" or put down especially since she is a mixed breed. If that had happened, I would not know the little Miriacle that I know today. And it all started when a """freak""" snow storm hit Syracuse one Sunday and a few weeks latter meeting a new and precious little girl. I know she isn't a dog but i feel the story applies for all not just cats. What we may not want could be someone Else's Marical