Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 06-11-2009, 06:00 AM
overdogged

flea and tick baths often use pyrethrins or permethrin, which are scary pesticides.

i'm not sure how frontline would cause kidney failure as it doesn't go beyond the oil glands in the dog's skin. it never enters the bloodstream, never gets to the kidneys.

lyme disease can cause kidney failure though.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 06-11-2009, 07:03 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelzeus View Post
hi i also been told that frontline causes kindey failure and i do believe this because i used it on my dog and he ended up with kindey failure i would not use anything on my dog anymore just a flea and tick bath is all that is needed thanks and good luck
I'm sorry about your dog, but I fail to see how that's scientific proof. There are so many dogs that get frontline monthly who never get kidney failure, and there are so many things that the dog can have that could lead to kidney failure, that I wouldn't blame it on the frontline just based on that.

Yes, you're putting toxic chemicals on your dog. The reason I prefer frontline over other spot-on flea and tick treatments is that frontline doesn't enter the dog's bloodstream. Not that it can't cause side effects, sometimes severe, but IMO, it's safer because of that.

If people are going to claim that frontline causes kidney failure or cancer, I'd like to see the studies that were done to support the claim. I did a google search and found nothing besides some people echoing the rumor. If you can find the studies, please share them.

There are many things that cause cancer, and
1. I can't protect my dog from exposure to all of them.
2. If he gets cancer and has had frontline put on him his whole life, that isn't proof that the frontline caused the cancer, as he has been exposed to other cancer causing things. Breathing the pollutants in the air causes cancer.
3. Much of cancer, IMO, is a metabolic issue - whether or not the conditions are right for the cancer to develop and grow.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
flea and tick baths often use pyrethrins or permethrin, which are scary pesticides.
They do.. but they only stay on the skin a short time (I think a few days) where as a spot on treatment goes systemically through the dog (which is how it workd)

ITs a trade off. YES what is in those products are carcinogens... but as far as I can tell not highly so. So you have to balance the risks... here I have only had ticks on my dogs ONCE in my life... so I don't use the spot on stuffs. If I did I would really have to look at the risks and make my decision.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:24 AM
Love my pets

I've used Frontline for over 14 years and never had a problem with any of my dogs.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:28 AM
Top Dog

Thanks everyone! Hopefully I can talk some sense into my BF or at least let him research if I can get him off the video games for 10 minutes.

I know there are risks with any type of flea and tick preventative but we need something. I live in PA and ticks are extremely bad this year. I do not continue it through the winter and have never had a problem. I've been using Frontline on my Midnite for the last 6 years (since we moved to PA) and she's still going strong at 13 years old!

The guy at the feed store said it was all over the news and internet yet I've come up with nothing as well CP.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:53 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
They do.. but they only stay on the skin a short time (I think a few days) where as a spot on treatment goes systemically through the dog (which is how it workd)
i was actually looking at some of the flea/tick shampoos online this morning since i'm not very familiar with them, and some of them say they work for up to 28 days (which i had no idea about) on certain flea stages.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?