Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 06-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Top Dog

Default Frontline causes cancer?

Hey everyone!

So I told the BF that Hannah needed her flea and tick preventative and I've been using Frontline for as long as I can remember. Today I come home to see this Cutter flea and tick preventative sitting on the counter. He told me he bought it next door at the feed store and the guy told him that Frontline causes cancer? Yet the active ingredient in this Cutter stuff is permethrin which I've heard could cause seizures and is deadly to cats (we have 3 cats). I told him he needs to return it but like always I'm the one who is wrong!

Anyone else heard of this cancer scare? I've been trying to google any information but I've come up with nothing.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I've heard of it. However, I think that it's the plain fact that you are putting chemicals on your pet, and chemicals have the chance of causing cancer. I think a competing company started saying "Frontline" so Frontline gets less business.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:53 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I have always been uncomfortable with the flea and tick treatments and have avoided them until this year. THe ticks are so insanely bad that even with a lyme vaccine they are still at risk for several other tick borne illnesses so i cried uncle. I got Vectra 3d and used it last month..and then again this month. VIctor's neck is so long that i put it a little high on his shoulders where his collar touched it. I didnt' realize the stuff would melt his collar. IT was a bright orange hunting one. He acted a little sick the day i used it and i don't know if it was just coincidence or if it was the melted plastic added to the treatment and if he absorbed any of it or not. I am just horrified. IT wasn't a lot of plastic, but it left a orange glob on the back of his neck that is gummy and will not wash off. I told myself acetate will melt plastic and yet women use it all the time on their skin to remove fingernail polish. I just hate the whole business of it. Mary has lived to such an old age without any problems tho her daddy had cancer and so did her son. I don't know if that could have made her more likely to be affected by chemicals that would end up in cancer or not. I fed purina too becuase i just didn't know any better and when Bronki got cancer i felt like i had put a pack of cigarettes in his bowl each day. I really don't understand any of it. Just don't like the idea and don't know what to do about it.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 06-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Top Dog

I trust my vets and go by their recommendations .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I've never heard that in particular, but you should know what's in Frontline... you are pretty much putting pesticides on your dog. I stretch the applications out to every 45 days instead of once a month and only give them during months when mosquitos are really bad - unfortunately in the Midwest that's usually many months. =P
Read up on it and make a call about what's right for you and your dog... just make sure you are well informed!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-10-2009, 08:23 PM
overdogged

i think they're going to be hard pressed to prove that frontline causes cancer. but i *know* that ticks carry lyme disease. i don't like putting pesticides on my dog, but right now it seems that the benefit outweighs the risk, so i do it as sparingly as possible and use the product that seems to me to be the least scary and that's frontline (no permethrin and therefore no risk to my cats).
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 06-10-2009, 10:46 PM
<------RIP Superdog

Agreed. Frontline is one of the better products out there for spot-ons. We use it every month during the season as we track and hike in the woods alot. I find ticks all the time, but i feel much safer using the frontline. I dont feel that makes me a bad pet mom.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:53 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

They carry alot more then lyme. I can't even spell most of the 5 diseases carry. IT's all bad.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 06-11-2009, 04:48 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Well, ticks here are rife and they carry billery and some sort of worm. I would rather frontline my two then have issues with parasites. It is ticks in winter and fleas in summer, so they get zapped once a month.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 06-11-2009, 04:57 AM
Big Dog

Default frontline and cancer

hi i also been told that frontline causes kindey failure and i do believe this because i used it on my dog and he ended up with kindey failure i would not use anything on my dog anymore just a flea and tick bath is all that is needed thanks and good luck