Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-08-2009, 12:37 AM
Top Dog

GSPs definitely do have an off switch and many people on the GSP board I go to both camp/hike with their dogs.

If you were interested in a GSP, find a breeder that breeds a closer working calmer dog. One of mine could run all day non stop (that is no exaggeration -- she is heavily field trial bred) and the other is content to sleep in bed all day and then turn it up a notch when we go places.

I think you could find what you want within any breed as long as you commit to the necessary training to make it a great camping dog. But GSPs definitely do love the outdoors and the short coat is convenient after walking through thick prickly cover. Mine love the water, too.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:47 AM
Aroooooo!

the german shepherd i have and the gsd mix we had, they just KNOW how to be off leash. Yes they require training. But I have never trained chance really in off leash but he KNEW not to run away. I have noticed that a lot about gsd's. they stay close to their owner.

I went camping couple years back before I had chance. Brought out gsd mix that the ex has now. The ppl we were with lost their golden, she wandered off with another guys old dog. We brought moose and we searched for miles. When we both became too tired to walk, my ex picked us up on the quad and moose jumped right on and rode back. he was bulletproof that dog.

"Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves." The art of racing in the rain.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:58 AM
Top Dog

Boxers always struck me as good camping dogs, good activity level, nice medium size but I don't know what their prey drive is like.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 06-08-2009, 07:01 AM
Just try me..

You want Dekka ... She is a fantastic camping dog, stays close, loves the canoe, loves swimming all in a neat compact and easily portable size!!! But I don't know where you would find another one.

Surprisingly whippets would be good. Yes many love to chase things... but they are VERY strongly bonded to their people, after the race is over most dash back to their 'mom' or 'dad' and can walk back off leash no prob. Though they don't like swimming.

Most herding breeds would be good as they are biddable and like to stay pretty close. Though they could be a bit rowdy if you were going on a canoe trip (esp when they are young)

Don't count out Sierra yet. It might take till she is a bit older but I bet you will get there with her!!
Old 06-08-2009, 07:03 AM
~Lisa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
i have to strongly disagree w/ tankstar.
when thinking in terms of breed you have to think of the behavior of the majority not the exceptions. for this reason i would caution against sighthounds, scenthounds, terriers, feists & some lines of cur bred strictly for hunting. if these types of dogs are high on your want list then look for individuals from show lines w/ severely impaired hunting drives and a slightly clingy nature.

And I would have to disagree with you. I know many scent and sighthounds who are amazing and perfect offleash. and aroun small animals.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Top Dog

and i know just as many if not more that have absolutely zero recall once they start a track or a run. most of these dogs, mine included, are extremely good handling off leash at the house and the occasional dog park. however as soon as they hit the woods they are all business and the presence of game will cause selective deafness. while this is more true of huntbred dogs it does happen w/ shocking frequency among showbred hunting breeds. for example, their is a show dale breeder up the road from me who averages one return per litter that must be carefully rehomed because of an extremely high hunt drive. if she bred more than once every couple of years this could be a real issue for her. fortunately for her there are plenty of dog hunters in the area and she knows many.
i'll say it again hunting breeds (dogs that actually have to find & catch the game) as a whole are not the best choice for this sort of activity. if one must choose a hunting breed for this, look long and hard for dogs bred heavily away from hunting for the best chance of success.
honestly how many is many to you? i'll be around 150-200 bear & deer hounds from oct-dec. terriers, curs, feists & longdogs much less about 1/2 -2 dozen of each all year. of all these dogs only the curs have a high percentage of good recall off a track. out of the other maybe 5 total would be what the OP wants. none of this is counting the neighborhood dogs. counting those would add about another dozen each beagles, JRTs & other terriers. of these only two beagles & one JRT have good off leash recall when there is a squirrel or cat around. thats what i'm seeing right now and it's been over 30 years since i went on my first dog hunt, so i'm pretty sure i've got a good handle on what hunting breeds AS A WHOLE are like.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Are you dead yet?

A lot of herding breeds do well off-lead. My BC usually keeps her eye on me and makes an effort to stay within sight of me.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Water Junkie

A Beagle. That would be a breed you WOULDN'T take camping.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 06-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

I grew up with parents that were nature photographers and may have spent more time tent camping than not. Whe we finally got a dog it was an unlikely choice, a Scottie. But Bessie turned out to be a terrific camper.

I would have to say that for extensive camping trips, the most important thing is size and hiking ability. This dog would have to spend a lot of time in the car, so portability is essential. Not knowing for sure, I would think something like a Corgi would be just about perfect. Small enough for portability, but sturdy enough for long hikes, and with a good all weather coat.

I had another, much grouchier Scotsman later, Ahoj, who also was a champion camper. The sturdiness and size more than made up for the feisty disporition.

And on an unfortunate sidenote, in the USyou need to avoid anything that could even be mistaken as a pittie, because many states ban them in parks and campgrounds.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 06-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Big Dog

i would say a ridgeback would be a great dog off leash, but i know.. brute's one concern when we go anywhere in the wild is to protect me from every pebble.. leaf and piece of dirt that falls.

Seriously though, he's wonderful with little to no off leash training, from what i've noticed with being around him and some of his family and a friend who's owned them the better part of his life. They are extremely protective and will stand by their person's/families side.

Don't get scared if they happen to take a few steps ahead and stop, I've never had a time where he went anywhere he couldn't see me, and i couldn't see him. I somewhat felt like i had a secret service detail. Made going to the bathroom rather... odd.

With all the protection, it is nice to just sit down somewhere and toss a stick so he gets to run around all wild like for a bit.