Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-25-2009, 09:30 PM
Puppy Dog

Smile No clue of what dog breed to get.

Hi everyone I am new here my mom said that I might get a dog I would like a dog thats
-large but gentle
-low grooming needs
-needs about 45-70 mins of exercise a day
-good with other animals
-can jog by my side when I am trail riding on my horse
-can be left alone for a couple hours

If anything comes to mind please share
thanks
Old 05-25-2009, 09:41 PM
koda bear

welcome to the forums, I would say a labrador retriever or australian cattle dog, or other type of herding breed like a border collie, australian shepherd.Might be fun since im guessing you live on farm since you have horses
Old 05-25-2009, 09:45 PM
Felurian

My first thought is to check with shelters and see what you find there Lots of mixed and even pure breed dogs end up there that could be exactly what you want. No breed is going to be a guarantee that you'll get the personality traits you want; there is so much variance, just like there is in humans.

I had a German Shepherd/Akita mix for years who would have fit your description perfectly, but typically, you wouldn't expect that from either breed.

Since you want a dog that can be left alone for awhile I'd definitely be looking at adult dogs or older pups though

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Puppy Dog

I dont live on a farm I board my horse tho I spend a lot of time a farm and I have a huge yard
Old 05-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Top Dog

I agree that hitting the shelters/rescues would be a great way to go. I got my perfect "live in a condo/hang out with me at the horse barn" dog through a rescue, and I loved having a young adult to start with. Housebreaking took all of about 3 days .

Old 05-26-2009, 07:32 AM
Just try me..

Yep I agree. An adult from a rescue or shelter would likely fit your needs the best. That way you can find one that is perfect, and not hope that a pup will be perfect.

I would stay way from dogs with herding lines. They might want to chase horses and herd them. We have had our BC for almost a year now and he is still having a hard time staying out of the paddocks (and I can't imagine how much training it would take to have him come for a hack and NOT scream at the horses)
Old 05-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Twin 2.0

You might look at some of the bigger hounds, like Foxhounds. They were bred to be around horses. though not necessarily for staying with them. I'd say Dalmatian, they're bred to be fantastic with horses but they need a TON of exercise, much more than just an hour and a half a day. Well, if it was off-leash at a dog park or swimming, it might be ok. This would be a great place to go to a rescue, they'd have a pretty good idea of what the exercise needs will be.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 05-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Obey the Toad.

I would say maybe an adult rescue dalmatian.

That having been said the two best dogs I've seen around horses were both mutts--my dad's bouvier/malamute mix and my aunt's rat terrier/border collie mix. The mal mix lived with my mare for several years and the BC mix would follow us on trails and was excellent off leash.

Some may not agree with this, but if I were looking for a dog that specifically did well with horses I'd look in rescues rather than just picking a dog up from the pound that looks like he could physically fit the bill. A rescue will generally be able to tell you a bit more about the dog than a busy shelter would and a single bad experience with a dog can drastically change a horse's opinion of them.

Most importantly, how is your horse with dogs? Has he been around them much at all? I've owned two horses, and one adored dogs more than most and the other detests them to the point of trying to physically harm then if they get too close.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Top Dog

I think a lab would fit your description perfectly. We have had several over the years all were wonderful dogs. All were rescues too.

People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Water Junkie

I would recommend an older rescue Border Collie, if you want to go with a Border Collie. Definitally NOT a Border Collie under the age of 3-4.

That said, I would look for a dog in a rescue that has a good recall -or as the temperment/drive to learn a solid recall- is good around other dogs, and if your lucky, has been introduced to horses before.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l