Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 05-24-2009, 06:17 AM
Zookeeper Extraordinaire!

Unhappy My Poor Marzi

He isn't eating.... he's dropping weight like no tomorrow..... He's basically fur and bones at the moment and angry with me for making him eat canned food.
My baby is scaring me.

Thanks to Sizzledog for le Siggy D'AWESOME!
Abusing Animals and Feeding CRAP since.... ALWAYS!
Old 05-24-2009, 07:58 AM
Love my pets

Go see a vet asap.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb04 View Post
Go see a vet asap.
I second that. Keep us updated.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

I would take him in too. That's what happened to one of our Maine Coons who had CHF.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:43 PM

CHF?

Anyway... this will be expensive trip number two for Mr. Marzi who is only going on three years old. Just after he turned one, he picked up this fever and lethargy.... his sister had had it before him and so I'd paid for the overnight emergency watch on her and fifteen billion tests and whatnot.... I ended up with them giving me antibiotics and an IV and Saline solution and told me to go give him subcutaneous fluids and antibiotics.

Now he isn't eating... won't drink anything.... or at least I haven't seen him drink anything. I keep giving him small amounts of wet food in his mouth so his kidneys or liver don't fail until I can get him in.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Top Dog

Poor baby I hope it's just a bug and it will pass.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Congestive Heart Failure. Boo was a fluffy kitty, it wasn't until we noticed she wasn't really moving around much that she was skin and bones, and by then she only lasted maybe another month and a half.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Remembering Casey ♥

hi there,

Your cats would all be better off eating A high quility canned food Or, a Raw diet, May save you alot of money in vet bills, not only now, but in the future as well..

Cats and dry food = the biggest mistake a cat owner can make..
Cats neeeeeeed meat.. They are carnivorious and need absolutely nothing else in there diet , except for meat.

Cats Die, because of dry food, It causes crystals in the urine which are very very very painful and deathly, And also very very common.. May I suggest taking a urine sample (Easier said then done) And cecking it for crystals. My aunt recently lost a cat to crystals, which could have been prevented if she wasnt so stubborn and if she took anything i said seriously (She likes to think she is rigth about everything, and she can do no wrong)

Dry food causes kidney and liver failure.

Cats rarely drink water. Cats survived for years by eating nothing but dead animals, and guess where they got there source of water, From there prey, cats dont need to drink much water, if they have the proper diet.

Cats do not drink water, until they are 80-90 % dehydrated, Which as we all know, is very unhealthy to do so often.. Its said, but its reality...

on average, A 10 lb cat needs 3 table spoons of wet food/day (I think, im not sure but i can look it up).. Which in all honesty, isnt very much at all, but to get as many nitrients out of dry food as you would out of 3 table spoons of high quality wet food, he/she would need to eat approx. 2/3 a cup of dry food a day... Cats dont need to eat much..

I think changing food would lead to a better quality of life for your kitties, plus save you so much money in vet bills..
Old 05-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Lord Cynical

Any news on Marzi?

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 05-26-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post
hi there,

Your cats would all be better off eating A high quility canned food Or, a Raw diet, May save you alot of money in vet bills, not only now, but in the future as well..

Cats and dry food = the biggest mistake a cat owner can make..
Cats neeeeeeed meat.. They are carnivorious and need absolutely nothing else in there diet , except for meat.

Cats Die, because of dry food, It causes crystals in the urine which are very very very painful and deathly, And also very very common.. May I suggest taking a urine sample (Easier said then done) And cecking it for crystals. My aunt recently lost a cat to crystals, which could have been prevented if she wasnt so stubborn and if she took anything i said seriously (She likes to think she is rigth about everything, and she can do no wrong)

Dry food causes kidney and liver failure.

Cats rarely drink water. Cats survived for years by eating nothing but dead animals, and guess where they got there source of water, From there prey, cats dont need to drink much water, if they have the proper diet.

Cats do not drink water, until they are 80-90 % dehydrated, Which as we all know, is very unhealthy to do so often.. Its said, but its reality...

on average, A 10 lb cat needs 3 table spoons of wet food/day (I think, im not sure but i can look it up).. Which in all honesty, isnt very much at all, but to get as many nitrients out of dry food as you would out of 3 table spoons of high quality wet food, he/she would need to eat approx. 2/3 a cup of dry food a day... Cats dont need to eat much..

I think changing food would lead to a better quality of life for your kitties, plus save you so much money in vet bills..
While I appreciate your concern for the health of my cats.... I don't think this is a food type related problem.... as I have SEVEN cats and ONE with problems. They are all eating TOTW, which is a high end grain free food. Marzi is on Wellness canned food, which I believe is not only grain free but also natural... All are fine, except for Marzi.
Raw? While I'm sure there are merits to this and I'm sure my cats would love it, short of finding a local organic, free range farm willing to give me cheap meat... which is like asking for water to be orange.... I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon. I know cats are obligate carnivores. I know they need meat and can't process anything else. I gather that. Raw and the idea of feeding it makes my stomach turn.
As far as money on vet bills.... I have seen cats.... in the past four years, I've made trips to the vet for rabies vaccinations as required by law and alteration surgeries. The only other trips have been one for Maddie with her "fever of unknown origin" and one for Marzi with the same symptoms "fever of unknown origin." Both got subcutaneous fluids and antibiotics and both have been fine since. Marzi is, however, prone to being stressed easier than my other kitties and I was thinking that's what is up with him... but he's not responding even to being just by himself in my room so.... we move on to other things.

I've been force feeding the wet food to prevent kidney and liver failure as feline organs begin to shut down rather rapidly after they stop eating.

Sizzle, I'm going to take him to the vet today. I didn't want to pay a certain facility's ridiculous "emergency" fees. I love their service, I really do... but over a hundred dollars to walk in the door, to not even be seen, just to walk in - is absurd. So, I get up early and take him in before work. I'll keep you posted.