Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Top Dog

Question Need some info on Great Danes please

A few questions about the Great Dane

Okay so we were talking to a lady yesterday that has owned and loves Great Danes and she was telling us how docile they are. How good they are with kids, and how they are protective over the children....

Anyways what can you tell me about great danes (from Personal experience or just general knowledge )

About how big do they get?

They look like they'd be a little strong (saw one pulling our neighbor down the road) Are they easy to leash train?

Are they easy to train?

I was told they make a good watch dog (not guard dog) and will alert you to danger, is this true?

Is it true they are one of the most gentle dogs?

What health issues does the breed have as a whole?

Also what is the best living environment for them (house, apartment?)

Thanks just doing a little research on the breed out of curiousity.

I love to learn about different dogs and the lady struck our curiosity with the breed

Thanks

(Hope I can hear some personal experience with the breed I've read a bit of conflicting info on them)
Old 05-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Google can be a fantastic resource.. Especially when doing the beginning research on things.

GDCA has some decent info. Great Dane Club of America - Before you choose a Great Dane

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 05-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Top Dog

thanks for the link
Old 05-09-2009, 01:34 PM
FluffyZooCrew

Anyways what can you tell me about great danes (from Personal experience or just general knowledge )

Great dogs, I love the breed. I've fostered them before, both as adults and puppies, and I have friends that foster and own them as well. They can be a wonderful, loving breed, but like all breeds, they can also be aggressive to strangers or other dogs and cats. It depends on the individual dog.

My friend has a rescue dane that's 105lbs. My other friend has a rescue dane that's 220lbs. I fostered two, one that was 120lbs and one that was 180lbs. It all depends on the dog.

They look like they'd be a little strong (saw one pulling our neighbor down the road) Are they easy to leash train?

Dane's are very strong dogs, and definitely require training. Many weight more than a human, so yes, they are very strong. Leash training, like with all dogs, takes consistency and patience.

Are they easy to train?

My friends, and the ones I've worked with, I found they were eager to learn, and caught on quickly.

I was told they make a good watch dog (not guard dog) and will alert you to danger, is this true?

Most of the ones I have met, will alert their owner to strangers. Not aggressively, but a guarding bark to alert them.

Uhhh... they can gentle, yes. Many dogs are gentle though.

The biggest is bloat. Google "Great Danes and bloat", and you'll get a wealth of information.

I don't really recommend an apartment, though I've sure many do it. They are very large dogs, and really need room to move around and let out their energy.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Top Dog

To really generalize it, from about 30-40" high at the shoulder, and anywhere from 90 to 200 lbs lol. It depends on the dog.
As a rule, you have to keep things off tables that they can clear with their tails, and 90% of them can easily clear a kitchen counter with their head.

From personal experience, a lot of them are fair pullers. Gentle leaders are great for those, but for small/fragile people they may not be a great breed choice.

Are they easy to train?
Yes, but they aren't "snappy". You ask a dane to sit and it will take them a second to fold their limbs together to do it. (Excluding OTCH dogs of course ) They require a substantial amount of training due to their size.

I have two, one is deaf. The deaf one will even get a little suspicious if something doesn't seem right, the non-deaf one will outright bark (and it's one hell of a bark) so I would say a cautious yes on that one, but it probably depends on the dog as well.

Yes and no. It isn't typical of the breed to be aggressive BUT they can cause unwitting harm (stepping on people, bumping into people) and so are not always a good choice around elderly people and very small children, and ALWAYS under supervision.

They are nicknamed "The Heartbreak breed". They're INCREDIBLY susceptible to Gastric Torsion (bloat, Shadowface Danes can tell you about that one unfortunately), as well as various types of cancer, wobblers, and hip displaysia. It's highly recommended to have a Gastropexy done when the dog is spayed or neutered, which is a substantial expense. They are not a generally 'healthy' breed.

They can live anywhere with suitable exercise. We had ours in an apartment with no problems.

Hope that helped some!
Old 05-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

OT, but I didn't think a Great Dane has ever earned an OTCH...
Old 05-09-2009, 09:06 PM
FluffyZooCrew

Is a gastroplexy, stomach tacking? We stomach tacked both the fosters... better to be safe. My friend lost her 5y/o to bloat 3 months ago, dog didn't even make it to the vet 20 min. away.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Top Dog

Here is a very helpful site. I learned a lot about the breed by skimming the forums when I really wanted a Dane! I ended up deciding to wait on the giant breed.

DOL Great Dane Forum - Comprehensive Great Dane Discussion Forum
Old 05-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Top Dog

"Is a gastroplexy, stomach tacking? We stomach tacked both the fosters... better to be safe. My friend lost her 5y/o to bloat 3 months ago, dog didn't even make it to the vet 20 min. away."

-Yep, you bet. That's the technical term for it. I would recommend it without hesitation to anyone with a dane.

@ Charlie, I don't think so either, it was more a generalized comment that they typically don't have a really quick response to any command because it takes them a while to get their limbs in order