Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Active Pup

Hey, I love Greyhounds! I have some practise with them in dog shows. In Lithuania are very very few Greyhounds... In this year in Lithuania was born the first litter of this breed in country.
Greyhounds are friendly dogs, they are very understanding. You can talk with them- looks like they understand every your word. But they are racers inherently... So I picked Borzoi, not Greyhound. Borzoi are hunters, but now in the world many Borzois are with very weak hunting instinct, so it doesn't show in dog, ussualy. BUT, I have very talented hunter... My Borzoi female has very strong instincts. Her mother is hunting about 7 years. All of her childs are the best hunting sighthounds in Lithuania! So, I have some problems with that.
In the future I think, I will have Greyhound.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Your Mom

They are prone to genetically awful teeth (horizontal bone loss, soft enamel, etc), making dentals a requirement. They also are prone to cancers, more often than not Osteosarcoma.

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 06-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Active Pup

Default Greyhound Health Issues

As a veterinarian and having owned greyhounds for over 25 years I feel qualified to speak on the health issues in the breed. In addition I maintain the health database for the AKC greyhound which has health information on about 900 dogs. All stats provided are on the AKC greys only.
Dental-Both the AKC and NGA dogs are reported to have dental disease. I suspect diet is a strong componant to the problem but a genetic tendency for plaque formation may be present. My dogs have always had excellant teeth yet I hand scale a few times a year at most.
Cancer-The AKC and the NGA seem to share some similar diseases yet some are significantly different. Osteosarcoma seems to be one such disease. The AKC greys have about a 2% incidence yet the NGA appear to have a much more frequent occurance. The incidence of cancer in the AKC dog is 14.1%.
On the other hand Gastric Torsion and Volvulous(GDV) is the main problem the AKC greys face with an incidence of 15.2%. GDV rarely appears in the NGA dogs.
Old age was reported as cause of death in 41% of the greys with old age being defined as starting at 10+ yrs.
Ocular problems are uncommon in the AKC greys. There are 3 reported cases of pannus and a few cataracts.
Cardiac problems were listed in 5.9% of the dogs with cardiac problems ranging from congential cardiac defects to age related valvular insuffiiciency.
Both groups appear equally sensitive to anesthetic and surgical complications.
Both groups appear to have a high incidence of orthopedic problems including many lower digit injuries ranging from toe fractures,sprains,ligament tears etc.
If anyone would like any more detailed information they are welcome to email me privately at [email protected]
Old 06-04-2009, 01:11 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Great information! thanks so much!!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 06-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Twin 2.0

There is also some disease that basically eats the toes...on my Lab board there is a lady with an AKC Grey and he ended up with this. I can't remember the name, but it's not pretty.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88 View Post
Speaking of health, what are they prone to? I've read a couple books and magazines and they seem to contradict eachother...I wish cockers were a healthier breed, too. I love their size, I was concerned about there comfort, really, but I'm feeling reassured. I may contact a rescue in the next 6mos or so. idk
I would just like to point out that cockers aren't all that bad as breeds go. Greyhounds have more issues. I would put cockers as about average for health issues (assuming we are talking well bred dogs) BYB and milled dogs of ANY breed are going to have health issues. Which sucks if you are into rescue.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:21 PM
treehugging clicker freak

yes, of course, you're right! sometimes we all need reminders - everytime I try to go *good* breeder route, a rescue drops in my lap and I can't resist . but I do have to say, that the majority of the rescues we work withare perfectly healthy! the common ones are diseases that are 100% preventable if humans would care for their dogs properly (heartworm for example) the few and far between that do have health issues always stick with you, though... in good ways and not !

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 06-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Active Pup

Parents:

Mother- ALfie White Wild Swan (imported from LV)
Father- LT, LV, RU JCH, EST JW-08, BALT JUNW-2008 Jetís Blame It On The Rain (Finland)

Puppies were born on 2009.01.01 in kennel "Trak***371;". There are left 3 females and 1 male- all of them show class puppies. They are almost 6 months, so they are socialized. That puppies are very good choise for person, who likes active life

1. Male:

2. Female:

3. Female:

4. Female:

Last edited by Renee750il; 06-22-2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Offering puppies for sale not allowed on the board.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Top Dog

I knew a girl who had a retired racer, she said hers liked to run in the yard for a few minutes and then he was done for the day. She also described him as a very large cat.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Twin 2.0

We ran into a group of 4 greys at the park the other day and now my mother is just smitten with the idea of getting an ex-racer!