Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-02-2009, 09:26 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Default greyhounds ?

I have recently been interested in the breed... And today I spotted one three or four lots from me and I have become practically a stalker
Can anyone give me some personal experience with the breed? I have only spent about 5-10mins with one at a pet store or other dog event.

About how much exercise do they need? Do they typically do okay alone while the human is at work? I am not looking for a dog in the immediate future, but in the distant, its always interesting to read and learn
I love the ones that I've met, they are so calm, cool, and collected... in large groups of people or other dogs they don't seem bothered by much. Is this common for a greyhound?
I live in a trailer, and while its a big one its still a trailer. I've read that greyhounds are good apartment dogs - but I still wonder. We go on LOTS of walks. I LOVE to walk, but would that be enough for weekdays? Weekends I can rent a fenced in areas at a local sort of doggie day care facility with lots of cool stuff, pools, dig boxes, etc. What I like is the 6ft huge fenced in areas. But I love to take Maddie to all kinds of dog related events. I'm thinking about a slightly bigger dog - quiet and pretty mellow, though.

TIA

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 06-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Top Dog

The only greyhound I know is a friend who does rescue for the discarded ones from racing. But hers is a couch potato and from what she tells me all of them are the same. They don't have the stamina for long wild hikes. If you let it out in a fenced area it will run a couple of laps total and that's it for the day. She takes hers everywhere and he's very adaptable to any place, people or activity. Seems he just sleeps the time away. Loves to be petted and not in the least bit aggressive.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:44 AM
overdogged

are you thinking about a retired racer?

i adore greyhounds. i will have one someday. most of the ones i know are pretty mellow and walks during the week with a chance to run on weekends would suit them fine.

you might check out this blog; NEVER SAY NEVER GREYHOUNDS as she has a ton of experience with greyhounds and is a huge advocate for them.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 06-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Just try me..

I love the greyhounds that come out to race at the cara meets (its nothing like commercial racing.. its fun fun fun for pet sighthounds to come out and do what they were bred to do)

The only thing for me about them is they are BIG lol. I love the grace etc.. but I will stick to the smaller but rowdier whippets! If you can handle a big size they are very much couch potatoes that need to sprint every now and then.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Top Dog

I still think I need a greyhound,

Aragon Greyhounds

^ ^
thats just an awesome blog, the blogger person had a litter of greyhounds....and greyhound puppies are cuteeee!
Old 06-03-2009, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the links... those are great! I am thinking about a retired racer - I have a soft spot for the seniors I am concerned about size - but missy (gsd) comes over and her size is nothing, to me... lol but it'll take convincing with the roommates. I think a greyhound would be a good match for my lifestyle, but that'd mean no more fostering for a while... I wonder if I could contact a grey rescue to see if I could foster to see if it is actually a good match... idk

Old 06-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

You know greyhounds are bigger than GSDs eh.. The AKC standard for GSDs tops out at 26". Male greyhounds are 28-30". The size of a dane. And we often see greyhounds at CARA racing that are over standard (and often still place well in conformation cause judges sadly think bigger is better).

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 06-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
You know greyhounds are bigger than GSDs eh.. The AKC standard for GSDs tops out at 26". Male greyhounds are 28-30". The size of a dane. And we often see greyhounds at CARA racing that are over standard (and often still place well in conformation cause judges sadly think bigger is better).
They can be. Pete, the grey we got rejected from adopting was 34", and Sergio the other candidate was 36". Both were 95-100 lbs racing weight.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've seen others (mostly females) who are 22-25 inches and quite petite.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Your Mom

Greyhounds are my favorite Wally was HANDS DOWN the best dog I will ever have. Nothing against my bulldogs as I adore them, but Wally was something special.

He was a big boy at nearly 31" tall, but only 72-75 pounds. I live in a 12x24 room, which I shared at one point with him, 2 other dogs, a rabbit and a cat. I definitely didn't walk him every day and it wasn't a problem. When given the opportunity to run offleash in a big fenced in area he would choose to walk the perimeter and pee on stuff instead.

He had SA, as many retired racers do, so something to definitely watch out for. Get in good with a good rescue group and I truly believe that there is a Greyhound out there for everyone with the right energy level and temperament that you're looking for. Like I said my Grey was lazy, whereas my friend's Greyhound runs 5 miles a day with her. You just have to be patient to find what you want.

But IMHO they are NOTHING like a "dog" . . . they're their own little species, almost human. Wally was amazing and I wouldn't have traded my short time with him for anything. I just wish the breed as a whole was healthier

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 06-04-2009, 08:28 AM

Speaking of health, what are they prone to? I've read a couple books and magazines and they seem to contradict eachother...I wish cockers were a healthier breed, too. I love their size, I was concerned about there comfort, really, but I'm feeling reassured. I may contact a rescue in the next 6mos or so. idk